The Student Room Group

How to gain PGCE experience while working full time?

Hi,
I want to apply for a Primary PGCE (I'm late, I know), but I don't know how I can possibly get any experience without working through all of my holiday.

I work at a lunch time music club at my work for teens once a week, and I have signed up to help at cubs, but I can't really see how anyone who works Mon-Fri, 9-5 manages to get the necessary amount of school based experience?

Is anyone else having the same problem, and how have you managed it?
Thanks
S
I just take a friday as holiday every here and there and go into schools with that time. It's probably not enough experience, but I'm fairly sure my interviewers will be sympathetic to the fact I have to earn money...
Reply 2
I took 1 week's annual leave to do my 5 days in a school, which was enough to get on the course.
Reply 3
(edited 10 years ago)
I took a week off as holiday in order to do it. I was knackered though as I basically didn't have any relaxation time for ages. My bosses also said if I needed to I could take a week's unpaid leave - thankfully that wasn't necessary as my job was related to teaching so uni said 1 weeks obs were enough.

It is tough though. Fine if you're in your final year at uni and have loads of free time, or if you're currently working as a TA, less easy if you actually have to earn money to live.
Reply 5
I have got a place at Leicester (conditional on doing 2 weeks school experience, which I will use my holidays). I only had 1 days school experience.
Reply 6
I took 3 days annual leave, which was enough to get me a place on the history PGCE.
Original post by DickensGeek
Hi,
I want to apply for a Primary PGCE (I'm late, I know), but I don't know how I can possibly get any experience without working through all of my holiday.

Surely then, you have answered your own question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending