The Student Room Group

Privacy law?

Being new to law, I was wondering could someone tell me what potential reasons there are for not having a privacy law in the UK? I'm a tad confused because from reading about some media cases eg the Douglases case, I understand that there is actually a privacy article in the Human Rights Act, so does that effectively mean that one can plead breach of privacy?
Reply 1
different?
Being new to law, I was wondering could someone tell me what potential reasons there are for not having a privacy law in the UK? I'm a tad confused because from reading about some media cases eg the Douglases case, I understand that there is actually a privacy article in the Human Rights Act, so does that effectively mean that one can plead breach of privacy?

Mmm, this is a funny one... its actually right to private and family life, which some think equates to simple a right to privacy, and some construe much more narrowly.
Its also worth bearing in mind that the Human Rights Act must be interpreted in line with UK legislation `as far as is possible` which means it can technically be disregarded. This rarely, if ever, happens, but if you're writing on the subject its always worth a mention.
IMO (and I havent studied this so it is just my opinion!) the potential for a privacy law to continue developing (as it is in reality) is high. I think a potential reason against it is that it would be very difficult to establish where to draw the line between an unacceptable invasion of privacy and simply getting on with your life, which will naturally interact with the lives of other people.

Latest

Trending

Trending