The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6440
Bridesmaids is one of the funniest films of that particular brand of comedy I've ever seen.
Original post by Mess.
Has anyone seen the film Bridesmaids? Was watching it with the GF last night and I would actually give it -10/10 it was ****ing terrible. I genuinely don't think I have seen a worse film. Every character is exactly the ****ing same, there are no jokes, there is no visual humour and there is no ****ing plot or nuance. It was so bad my gf told me to turn it off as it was sending her spiralling in to such a depression she was almost going to top herself.

One of the worst films ever!

Oh and I went to read a couple of reviews about it, expecting it to royally panned. Instead I was subjected to nonsense about how it is part of a feminist movement in films because fat women **** in sinks and they are obsessively vulgar about sex and other things.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6442
Bridesmaids was OK. It dragged a bit in places.
Reply 6443
:lolwut: What the hell is everyone on? There wasn't one redeeming feature of the whole film. It was bland and one note and really, just completely terrible.
bridesmaids is neither here nor there. It's surprising that anyone thinks it's anything but average.

i'm going to see this in a couple of hours.
[video="youtube;xeIu1FiTTyI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIu1FiTTyI[/video]

not holding any great hopes, but, yer know, moon nazis. can't really not go.
Reply 6445
Anyone like a bit of Ken Loach and Paul Laverty (and some obvious product placement by Irn-Bru)? Competing at the Cannes Film Festival with a release date of 1st of June (same day as Prometheus). I don't know about a wide UK release but I know that it will be released in Scotland and believe it to be worth a look.

Reply 6446
Original post by soup
Anyone like a bit of Ken Loach and Paul Laverty (and some obvious product placement by Irn-Bru)? Competing at the Cannes Film Festival with a release date of 1st of June (same day as Prometheus). I don't know about a wide UK release but I know that it will be released in Scotland and believe it to be worth a look.

Hmmm, looks all right; I'd definitely be interested in watching a bit of Loach. :yep:

A couple of heads-ups for foreign film lovers - a couple of treats from Cannes this year which are supposed to be fantastic:

And a couple of other new films which are supposedly brilliant (the second one is an English-language one):

And on a (somewhat) more mainstream note, has anyone else heard of Killing Them Softly? Andrew Dominick, who directed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford teams up again with Brad Pitt in a movie about 'recession-hit gangsters'; it premiered at Cannes the other day and has gotten really good reviews - looks like one to drool over. :drool:

---

The filmy part of the year finally beginning to kick in. :excited:

(Also, in case people haven't really been following reactions to Cannes screenings, two anticipated films - Lawless and On The Road - have not done especially well, apparently :holmes:)
(edited 11 years ago)
‘Chronicle’ director Josh Trank to direct 'Shadow Of The Colossus'.

Josh Trank has signed with Sony Pictures to develop to direct Shadow Of The Colossus, a big scale live action adaptation of the bestselling Sony videogame. The film is being produced by Kevin Misher. The studio is interviewing writers to work with Trank, who after directing the $13 million sleeper hit Chronicle has become the go to guy for big popcorn pictures. Trank takes on a Fumito Ueda-created game that has a strong narrative arc, along with the obligatory creature quotient to get the visual effects crowd excited.

The protagonist is a young man who thinks his lover has died. Desperate to bring her back, he heads into a forbidden land, and summons a demon who can wake the dead. The price for bringing back his girl: slay 16 colossi that dominate this mystical place. These are skyscraper-sized giants that rise from the ground, fly through the air and come from the water. As the young man works through his quest on horseback, he begins to wonder if he is on a noble pursuit to bring back his lover, or perhaps has made a deal with the devil and is being used. Trank has been a fan of the game since it launched in 2005, and sought out the job.

Trank is separately developing two Marvel superhero franchises in Fantastic Four for Fox and the Spider-Man spinoff Venom for Sony Pictures, and he’s also aligned to the Warner Bros comic book adaptation Red Star. He’s repped by WME and Management 360. Misher is separately prepping MGM’s remake of Carrie, and Misher Film execs Andy Berman and Kevin Chang are overseeing Shadow of the Colossus. WME reps Trank.

How do you even begin to adapt Shadow of the Colossus to screen? They'll be making Flower, Portal and Heavy Rain adaptations next.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6448
Just had a back-to-back of Moon and Source Code. Anyone seen any of those films? I think Moon is probably the best sci-fi genre film in a long time. Can't wait to find out what Duncan Jones will be doing next! He's top of my list for future directors, along with Paddy Considine (<3 Tyrannosaur).

A bit annoyed when I found out he was considered for directing Man of Steel, would have been really interesting and would be able to see what he could do with a big Hollywood budget. But, no, that Zack bloody Snyder got the role. Hopefully Christopher Nolan will play the Producer card a lot of the time!
Original post by soup
Just had a back-to-back of Moon and Source Code. Anyone seen any of those films? I think Moon is probably the best sci-fi genre film in a long time. Can't wait to find out what Duncan Jones will be doing next! He's top of my list for future directors, along with Paddy Considine (<3 Tyrannosaur).

A bit annoyed when I found out he was considered for directing Man of Steel, would have been really interesting and would be able to see what he could do with a big Hollywood budget. But, no, that Zack bloody Snyder got the role. Hopefully Christopher Nolan will play the Producer card a lot of the time!

Yup, love Moon. Source Code is a solid science fiction film. Duncan Jones is probably best off with more original material anyway.

Neill Blomkamp would be another good addition to the list of new directors to watch. I re-watched District 9 recently in fact. Fantastic film. Elysium is his next project and it sounds promising.
Reply 6450
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Yup, love Moon. Source Code is a solid science fiction film. Duncan Jones is probably best off with more original material anyway.

Neill Blomkamp would be another good addition to the list of new directors to watch. I re-watched District 9 recently in fact. Fantastic film. Elysium is his next project and it sounds promising.

I didn't see District 9 - thought it was one of these poor alien invasion films when it was released so I'd better try and catch it! Richard Ayoade is one I would also have to add since I loved Submarine.

Does anyone think that the Prometheus campaign has gone a bit quiet recently? The Dark Knight Rises team have certainly cranked up a gear but not heard anything from Prometheus despite being released in a weeks time!
i wanna join the society :biggrin:

also anyone on tumblr can check out mine, its just some screenshots capturing my favourite movies

Don't worry I haven't added any patronising reviews yet (might do after exams) it's just a collection of images

anyone check it out if you are bored

http://theartoffilms.tumblr.com/
Original post by winning11
i wanna join the society :biggrin:

also anyone on tumblr can check out mine, its just some screenshots capturing my favourite movies

Don't worry I haven't added any patronising reviews yet (might do after exams) it's just a collection of images

anyone check it out if you are bored

http://theartoffilms.tumblr.com/
I welcome you to the Film Fanatics Society, but alas, I do so idly. For you see, before you can be accepted into our ranks, you must first engage in our obligatory initiation process by answering these three simple questions:

What is your favourite film?

Who is your favourite actor/actress?

Would you ever consider french kissing Gérard Depardieu?
Original post by PoGo HoPz
I welcome you to the Film Fanatics Society, but alas, I do so idly. For you see, before you can be accepted into our ranks, you must first engage in our obligatory initiation process by answering these three simple questions:

What is your favourite film?

that's a cruel question, a cruel question indeed.

Who is your favourite actor/actress?

I'll just answer the actor part for now, this is tough, I'd say de niro because of Raging Bull, but then you got Hanks, and BrandoandNortonandEastwoodandHopkinsandLewis.
Ok I've concluded the above 2 were both trick questions, and there can ne'er be one answer.

Would you ever consider french kissing Gérard Depardieu?

I'm sorry nope, unless there was some ultimatum in which I was taking one for the team.. um still no

Am I worthy? Do tell, do tell.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6454
Original post by soup

Yeah, Moon is fantastic. :biggrin: I thought Source Code was fairly good as well, though a little annoying with the ending.

Jones is reportedly working on another untitled sci-fi project at the moment, which he has described as a 'love letter to Blade Runner' or something like that. Quite clear from Moon how big a fan of Blade Runner he is. :p:

With regards to good new sci-fi films, has anyone seen Another Earth? I was really drawn in by the trailer, and got the DVD quite recently; considering watching it today. :beard:

Also recently got the DVD of Tyrannosaur, yet to watch that as well. :colondollar: Agreed about Submarine, though, I really liked that.

As to the list of new directors, my list would probably be topped by Steve McQueen - Hunger is one of my favourite films, and I really liked this year's Shame as well. Another one up there would be Andrea Arnold: she's not exactly new to the world of film, but she's only made three feature length films, the first of which came in 2006 (Red Road, which is my favourite work by her so far).

Also, has anyone seen Time Magazine's top 10 movies of the millennium (thus far)? This is the list:

Spoiler

Thoughts?
**** Wall-E.

I just don't like it.
Reply 6456
Original post by Abiraleft

Jones is reportedly working on another untitled sci-fi project at the moment, which he has described as a 'love letter to Blade Runner' or something like that. Quite clear from Moon how big a fan of Blade Runner he is. :p:

Just remembered seeing this a couple of days ago, an Ian Flemming biopic to be directed by Jones.

Also, has anyone seen Time Magazine's top 10 movies of the millennium (thus far)? This is the list:

Thoughts?

I probably only agree with two on that list, even if that. The Artist and Wall-E are probably the only ones that deserve to be there. I would have included There Will Be Blood, Mulholland Drive and at least one Transformers movie!
So who has seen The Raid? Has to be the most brutal film i've seen at the cinema. The fight scenes were incredible. :coma:

Spoiler

Thoughts?

That's an awful list in my view. The only deserving entry on it is The Lord of the Rings. I can't reconcile with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Avatar and Wall-E being on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by soup
Just remembered seeing this a couple of days ago, an Ian Flemming biopic to be directed by Jones.

I probably only agree with two on that list, even if that. The Artist and Wall-E are probably the only ones that deserve to be there. I would have included There Will Be Blood, Mulholland Drive and at least one Transformers movie!

Yeah it's obviously complete *******s. making a list is pretty impossible but you know that someone's badly shagged it up when it's got Avatar and The Hurt Locker in it. They'd be lucky to make it into the top 200 once you've power-hosed all the hype off them. I'm amazed someone remembers them in 2012, because sure as hell nobody will in 2022
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending