The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6520
Michael Fassbender's performance in Shame was pretty ****ing sensational.
Well, some of you are going to care about this.

I would have pictured Jackman as more of a Javert than a Valjean, really, given his role in The Prestige, but I'm not a casting director. Good to see Marius is still a massive gaywad.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't like Hathaway as Fantine. I know the songs won't be belted out the same way as the are onstage but I don't think she'll do the character justice.
Les Mis looks awesome. Crowe and Jackman :colondollar:
Original post by Christien
Well, some of you are going to care about this.

I would have pictured Jackman as more of a Javert than a Valjean, really, given his role in The Prestige, but I'm not a casting director. Good to see Marius is still a massive gaywad.

Video is private. :cry:

I'll be watching that. I love the musical :love:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Video is private. :cry:

I'll be watching that. I love the musical :love:

So do I :colondollar:
Original post by Christien
So do I :colondollar:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. :tongue:

Found the trailer elsewhere, so that's three films I want to see around Christmas time, Great Gatsby, Les Mis and the Hobbit.
:coma:

I so badly want to see Les Mis at the theatre again, too.
Original post by Colonel.
Fight Club is twice the film.

Original post by Pi!
I don't actually think Donnie Darko's all that good. It's got some great scenes, like burning down Patrick Swayze's house, but I find the ending annoyingly ambiguous.

I think that's what annoys me about Fight Club - it's too impersonal, almost as if what could've been a brilliant story takes a back seat to all the psychobabble and violence. It's the ambiguity of Donnie Darko that I love the most. My own invented metaplot which I thought to reason the ending isn't explicitly wrong because no meaning of the film is explicitly right either.

:>
Reply 6529
I do hope people keep the important bits to themselves/inside spoiler tags. Donnie Darko is one that I'm quite looking forward to seeing, now that I've got the DVD. :erm:
Reply 6530
Donnie Darko wants to be a Lynch film but it really isn't.
Reply 6531
Empire's review for Prometheus is out, it doesn't look to good for Alien fans (me). Going to hear the Good Doctor's opinion before I make my mind up to go and see it or not.
Reply 6532
Absolutely LOVED Moonrise Kingdom.

Stunning cast and stunning cinematography. Special praise for young Jared Gilman who was excellent.

Anderson's best film since Rushmore in my opinion, in fact I think I like it even better. 9/10
Reply 6533
Will probably see Moonrise Kingdom next week. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before. :getmecoat:
Original post by soup
Empire's review for Prometheus is out, it doesn't look to good for Alien fans (me). Going to hear the Good Doctor's opinion before I make my mind up to go and see it or not.

Bear in mind that both Alien and Blade Runner came out to lukewarm (mixed to negative) reviews. The main criticisms I've seen of Prometheus have been a lack of character development and a constant overwhelming comparison against Alien. Given it has ties to that universe, such a comparison is expected but I don't think it's being judged on its own merits enough. Ironically, one of the reviews which criticised Prometheus for its character development in all but 2 characters (which seems like a fair criticism) waxed lyrical about Alien in the same review, which lacked character development in all but 1/2/3 characters too.

This is one film, like The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit, which I will end up going to see anyway, whatever the criticism may be.
Reply 6535
Benedict Cumberbatch joins the cast of 12 Years a Slave. :eek: Steve McQueen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch.... :coma: Already shaping up to be my most anticipated film of 2013.

Also, did anyone see the news about George Lucas retiring from mainstream film-making? :holmes:
Reply 6536
Ape Gone Insane banned? Say whaaat? :lolwut:
Original post by aja89
It isn't the first time, tbh. :dontknow:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
It isn't the first time, tbh. :dontknow:

Original post by aja89

He deleted his facebook too
:O What is this sorcery?!

Quick Reply