The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7160
Original post by Na-dia
Guess I should stay away from this thread with my irrelevant posts about films which are not The Dark Knight Rises :ninjagirl:

Lol. I actually haven't seen any of the REC films, they any good?

I don't think a REC 3 can be as bad as the Raging Bull 2 I saw on IMDB, honestly wtf.
Reply 7161
Original post by Deshi
Lol. I actually haven't seen any of the REC films, they any good?

I don't think a REC 3 can be as bad as the Raging Bull 2 I saw on IMDB, honestly wtf.

REC was good, just another zombie movie that had a nice plot. REC 2 was not as good, kind of continuing the REC story. That doesn't really work unless such sequels are planned beforehand instead of being filmed to earn more cash after a succes of a film. REC 3 is absolutely different with another plot not having any connection to the previous two. Only the fact that it is kind of recorded by one of the heroes is relatable but in the middle of the movie the camera is left behind and the film is continued being filmed with an operator just like any other film so no reason to relate this film to the previous RECs actually.

I have heard that Raging Bull is a really bad one, but have not seen it. Seems like a really unworthy one :biggrin:
Oh yeah, I saw the trailer for Man of Steel. Dark Superman? OK...
The first half of that trailer made me think 'how weird, they've made Deadliest Catch into a film'.

Anyway, I don't like the character much, but you don't really go dark with Superman. The point of Superman is more or less hope. The idea that someone can actually represent the best of humanity. That and laser eyes. I fully expect Zack Snyder to miss this point, but I suppose there's always the remote possibility that he won't.
Reply 7164
In all this malarkey, it seems people might have missed the official trailer for The Master. :awesome:

Reply 7165
Is 'The Dark Knight Rises' really that great, like really? All these Facebook updates is making me want to watch it.

I've never really been into comic book movies.
Original post by Christien
Obligatory Batman thoughts. LONG POST, be afraid:

Spoiler

Overall, well worth the wait. Not sure where it places in like an overall trilogy ranking situation, probably needs more time.

Meh, it was alright.
Original post by Na-dia
Guess I should stay away from this thread with my irrelevant posts about films which are not The Dark Knight Rises :ninjagirl:

:lol: I know that feeling.
Reply 7168
Original post by T-Toe
Is 'The Dark Knight Rises' really that great, like really? All these Facebook updates is making me want to watch it.

Short Answer: Yes. :smile:
Reply 7169
Original post by TheMagicRat
:lol: I know that feeling.

Haha I am not the only one! :five:
Original post by T-Toe

The thing about Nolan Batman films is they are not really comic book films in the traditional sense. They could pass as dark action thrillers considering Batman is probably wearing a suit for what feels like 30 minutes in the 2 hour 45 minute film. I think you might like them though it's best to start with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and then see if you want to watch TDKR.

Original post by Deshi
Shiiiiiiit. Looks like it's taking the "dark" route, no surprise I guess considering Nolan is involved.

Spoiler

Uses the LotR soundtrack as well, which is a bit random.

I half-expected a Liam Neeson voiceover talking about devoting yourself to an ideal. It doesn't look like a Zack Snyder film either. As for the direction it seems to be going in, Superman isn't meant to be that sort of dark character. They seem to be going for the 'I don't want to be Superman so I'll go all emo and try and live a normal life' arc though, which would make him a bit broody.

Still, it can't be worse than that utter disaster of a film, Superman Returns, right guys? Right? :nooo:
Reply 7171
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The thing about Nolan Batman films is they are not really comic book films in the traditional sense. They could pass as dark action thrillers considering Batman is probably wearing a suit for what feels like 30 minutes in the 2 hour 45 minute film. I think you might like them though it's best to start with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and then see if you want to watch TDKR.

I half-expected a Liam Neeson voiceover talking about devoting yourself to an ideal. It doesn't look like a Zack Snyder film either. As for the direction it seems to be going in, Superman isn't meant to be that sort of dark character. They seem to be going for the 'I don't want to be Superman so I'll go all emo and try and live a normal life' arc though, which would make him a bit broody.

Still, it can't be worse than that utter disaster of a film, Superman Returns, right guys? Right? :nooo:

I don't see how a Superman film can actually be good in any sense other than the CGI :erm:
Reply 7172
TDKR was so damn good!
Original post by Revent
I don't see how a Superman film can actually be good in any sense other than the CGI :erm:

Good thing you weren't hired to help out then :awesome:
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Just got done watching Batman Begins. Good film, but IMO The Dark Knight is so much better. Which one do you guys prefer?

Original post by Student2806
I watched them both back-to-back a couple of days, regard them as highly as each other. Love the 'birth of Batman' style of Batman Begins but The Joker is such a better villain than Ra's al Ghul.

Having seen Batman begins I think I prefer it for the 'birth of Batman' and preferred Ra's al Ghul really. He seemed the much more interesting character.

A light bit of comedy regarding Dark Knight:

Just finished watching Fight Club. Good film. :yep:

Original post by Deshi
Shiiiiiiit. Looks like it's taking the "dark" route, no surprise I guess considering Nolan is involved.

Spoiler

Uses the LotR soundtrack as well, which is a bit random.

I started watching that and was like :lolwut: at the LotR soundtrack being used.

Original post by concubine
Someone give me something good to watch.

Crime or dark comedy would be rad.

I found Black Sleep a dark comedy.
Reply 7176
I just want to see The Hobbit :sad:
I've recently watched after two or three years lot of 50'-60'-70' movies. Coold Hand Luke, Bullit, Papillon, The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Graduate, Alfie and many others more. What a great, great, great masterpieces, all of them! Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Caine... Actors! Today what we have? Who's gonna replace them??? Maybe DiCaprio, Seymour Hoffman and who else? Today i've watched The Constant Gardener, a great Ralph Fiennes! One of the last that i really liked was - Befor the devil knows you're dead - great duo ethan hawke and Hoffman! That's all!
Reply 7178
Original post by Colonel.
Good thing you weren't hired to help out then :awesome:

If I was there, this project wouldn't have even made it to the point of discussion as a viable film :p: But alas, I'm not.

By the way, loving the avatar and sig. (Die hard One Piece fan, love it almost half as much as I love The Dark Knight trilogy) :smile:
Original post by Revent

He's not a particularly interesting character being so overpowered but it could work as a origin story with a more human emphasis to the character.

Original post by SirMasterKey
Just finished watching Fight Club. Good film. :yep:

Have you watched Fincher's other films? You should make your way through his catalogue. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest