Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if posted before but:

The 62-year-old actor made one little boy's wish come true when he showed up in his full Hellboy makeup and costume for a day of hanging out with his big screen hero. Six-year-old Zachary had expressed to Make-A-Wish his desire "to meet and become Hellboy." The boy is undergoing treatment for leukemia, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Enter Spectral Motion, the creature effects house that brought to life the many fantastical characters in Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy 2 (2008).

They in turn approached Perlman, who "loved the idea and donned the makeup once more," Spectral Motion said on its Facebook page.

Perlman then underwent the four-hour makeup application procedure it takes to become Hellboy and shocked a delighted Zachary -- who later got the opportunity to become a pint-sized Hellboy himself. More photos of the memorable encounter are posted on Facebook.
    According to Empire, he also bought everyone lunch that day. What a man.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ron Perlman is such a cool ****ing guy.

In other news, 300-page children's book to be made into epic trilogy:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/yep-p...lms-now,83110/

:facepalm2: Sigh. If there were any legitimate creative reason to do this, it'd be fine, but there's really not. Two films is already pushing it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just waiting for The Hobbit to be ruined tbh.

Star Wars trilogies all over again?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate how everything that is sort of successful nowadays gets announced as/turned into a trilogy...getting a bit tedious.

Its like some all powerful executive in Hollywood has major OCD and NEEDS movies to be made into sets of three!
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    He says he's drawing upon lots of material from the Lord of the Rings appendices, which probably means he's taking a few lines here and there and making a huge story out of it. Since the Tolkien Estate holds the rights to Tolkien's other works like The Simillarion, Peter Jackson's best way of making more films set in that universe is to squeeze as much juice as he can from the appendices - which they have the rights to. So it's a workaround/loophole of sorts to getting at material which isn't restricted to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit without having the actual rights to the proper, arguably better, stories. The Hobbit, which should really just be one self-contained film, is caught up in the middle of this. We'll end up with a continuous dragged out Hobbit story with scenes constantly cutting to a larger story involving the Neuromancer and Battle of Dol Guldur. If he didn't want to add all this extra material to the extended editions of the two Hobbit films, he could have just made the Hobbit film and then made follow up films which took place in that world, 'Tales from the LOTR appendices set in Middle Earth' or whatever. Either a rights issue with not being allowed to make a film that isn't called either 'Lord of the Rings' or 'The Hobbit' or they decided The Hobbit trilogy will allow for a stronger brand, coherency and continuity (or as Colonel. would put it, '$$$').

Still, I have faith. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and if Peter Jackson retains that level of quality, then I'm sure I'll enjoy the films.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be quicker to read the book ffs.

Jackson cannot self-edit and he has a lot of unneeded fluff. Check out King Kong to see what I'm talking about.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    It would be quicker to read the book ffs.

Jackson cannot self-edit and he has a lot of unneeded fluff. Check out King Kong to see what I'm talking about.
    That's true, it might have worked for Lord of the Rings but not sure I'd be able to sit through three Hobbits :\
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They just released the trailer for Skyfall. It looks amazing!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.. I wasn't a massive fan of the Teaser but that looks pretty cool. Happy to hear the actual Bond theme in there..

Reserving judgement!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I can take Bardem's character seriously with hair colour like that. :mmm:

Promising trailer though, has spiked my interest.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The trailer does look promising. I'm very interested into see what Same Mendes can do with a Bond film.
    As Cloud Atlas, it does look promising too. I really hope it's going to be good, I love the book and I don't want it too be a disaster.
    Oh and I am also happy that the Coen Bros are still making films. http://www.slashfilm.com/inside-llew...d-oscar-isaac/
    • 33 followers

(Original post by Ruin.)
    Don't think I can take Bardem's character seriously with hair colour like that. :mmm:

Promising trailer though, has spiked my interest.
    Although, that is what we said about No Country for Old Men, and he pulled that off spectacularly. :holmes:

I have to say, though, I liked the teaser better than the trailer. Less certain about this now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Ted.

Hilarious, go and see it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just saw Ted aswell, it was actually quite good!

Having seen the Cloud Atlas trailer, I have no idea what's going on but I really want to watch it now. So I guess the trailer worked!
    • 33 followers

Is Ted actually decent, then? I was completely uninterested when I saw the trailer, but the reviews seem to suggest that it isn't rubbish. :holmes:
    • 35 followers

I was really disappointed when I learnt The Hobbit was being made into a trilogy, but if this is true http://io9.com/5931001/everything-pe...ium=socialflow it might not be so bad. I still think it's wholly unnecessary but if they fill in all the backstories and battles...:dontknow:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last three films watched:

Amarcord - 7.5/10

Delightful little comedy/political commentary by Fellini, quite different from his work in the 1950s, though not without the same charm.

Zero Focus - 8/10

Solid Japanese mystery film from the 1960s. Very little known, as the IMdB boards illustrate, though I imagine this is down to lack of a good English DVD. Criterion really need to get on Nomura's case, and put this out on disc.

La boulangère de Monceau - 8.5/10

A short from Eric Rohmer, this didn't fail to deliver. By chance, I happened upon a very curious film-making technique in this film, which I haven't seen in any other. I'll elaborate for those who have seen it/are going to see it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    La boulangère de Monceau - 8.5/10

A short from Eric Rohmer, this didn't fail to deliver. By chance, I happened upon a very curious film-making technique in this film, which I haven't seen in any other. I'll elaborate for those who have seen it/are going to see it.
    I'm very intrigued now. I've been meaning to start watching some of Rohmer's films for quite some time. Perhaps I'll have to start soon.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I'm very intrigued now. I've been meaning to start watching some of Rohmer's films for quite some time. Perhaps I'll have to start soon.
    I went quite a while before seeing some of his films. Not by choice, mind- I just didn't see much of his stuff. I started with Die Marquise von O, though in my opinion, it's not representative of the bulk of his work (plus I came away from that with only a middling opinion).

You can't go wrong with his Six Moral Tales.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find Rohmer and Truffaut a tad too conservative in style. When I think of the New Wave, I think of radicals like Godard, Rivette, and (the finest of all) Resnais.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 31, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.