Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Catching up on the Oscars results and happenings from last night (no awards for American Hustle which is a result!!) and see the headline that Alain Resnais has died. 91 years but still RIP. Only seen a couple of his films but Hiroshima, mon amour is an absolute gem.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I managed to correctly guess most of the Oscar's results with ever seeing any of the films nominated :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Academy seemed to get most decisions (the main ones, anyway) correct, which makes a nice change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhav777)
    I stick to The Film Review on BBC News and the /Filmcast podcast.
    What website is this podcast on?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scjman)
    What website is this podcast on?
    /Filmcast here. If you use a podcast app, I'm sure you'll find the rss feed. Check out a couple of episodes and see what you think.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a great set of results, glad to see McConaughey get the nod, and 12 years was always gonna pick up best picture. Speaking as someone who hasn't seen it, was Cuaron's win for best director justified?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    - However, did anyone else thing McConaughey came across as really conceited during his speech? I even thought he was drunk at one point haha.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also.. do the actors really not know the results of the Oscars until the night?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    - However, did anyone else thing McConaughey came across as really conceited during his speech? I even thought he was drunk at one point haha.
    Not really. Thought it was a bit odd not to mention AIDS, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    It was a great set of results, glad to see McConaughey get the nod, and 12 years was always gonna pick up best picture. Speaking as someone who hasn't seen it, was Cuaron's win for best director justified?
    I'd say so. Loved Gravity.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stylo92)
    Not really. Thought it was a bit odd not to mention AIDS, though.
    It was just the "I'm my own hero" thing. I think the make up team dedicated their awards to AIDS sufferers particularly from the time of the epidemic, so maybe he thought it didn't need to be said twice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    It was just the "I'm my own hero" thing. I think the make up team dedicated their awards to AIDS sufferers particularly from the time of the epidemic, so maybe he thought it didn't need to be said twice.
    More he 'wants to be his hero (in ten years time)', so to aspire to be greater than what he is.

Should still have got a mention, being the one of the big awards at the ceremony and all. I'd expect that Ejiofor would have dedicated his to slavery, etc.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stylo92)
    More he 'wants to be his hero (in ten years time)', so to aspire to be greater than what he is.

Should still have got a mention, being the one of the big awards at the ceremony and all. I'd expect that Ejiofor would have dedicated his to slavery, etc.
    I don't really think it's the done thing though, but there we go. Yeah fair enough McQueen did do a little speech when it picked up best film though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much universally happy with these Oscars, particularly Nyong'o and Jonze getting the nod.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here seen Keith? It's not usually my type of genre but I rewatched it for the third time tonight, there's just something about it....

Saw Mud recently as well an it was pretty good, Matthew McConaughey and the kid actors especially were great.

12 years A Slave was really good. I'd put it on par with Schindler's List
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watching Aliens. Brilliant.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26812277

JK Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is to be made into a film trilogy.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please don't spoil the film for me, but what do people think of Only God Forgives?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26812277

JK Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is to be made into a film trilogy.
    This will probably make The Hobbit look like a masterpiece in comparison to other spin offs.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 31, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.