The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Original post by ManicMetalhead
Not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but what does everyone think of the new Star Wars cast?

I'm curious to know what characters the actors will play, because there is so much extra in the Extended Universe that it'd have to fit with.
Although I do like that most of the original cast are returning.

There are more male characters...i was expecting Benedict Cumberbatch to be cast
Not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but what does everyone think of the new Star Wars cast?

I'm curious to know what characters the actors will play, because there is so much extra in the Extended Universe that it'd have to fit with.

Why would it have to fit with the expanded universe? It's not canon.
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Yes. A great movie. Just shows what Tarantino used to be capable of, before he started making the current pile of tedious rubbish.

What are you referring to, Django and Basterds etc.? I like Django tbf minus Tarantino's cameo, he was the only weak link in Pulp as well I would say. And Django needs about half an hour cut from it at least, the ending is ridiculous lol.
Original post by Tom78
What are you referring to, Django and Basterds etc.? I like Django tbf minus Tarantino's cameo, he was the only weak link in Pulp as well I would say. And Django needs about half an hour cut from it at least, the ending is ridiculous lol.

Yeah I probably would have liked it more if it wasn't quite so damn long. I do like some epic length films, but Django Unchained was longer than it needed to be I felt
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Yes. A great movie. Just shows what Tarantino used to be capable of, before he started making the current pile of tedious rubbish.

Original post by Tom78

Sort of agree with you Tom. Django Unchained wasn't bad, it just dragged on a little longer than it needed to imo. Inglorious Basterds is very overrated - it feels more like a collection of well-done scenes that are brilliant individually (the opening interrogation, the bar scene) and outstanding acting performances (Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, August Diehl), but altogether as one story/film it doesn't work. The protagonists are highly unlikeable (barring Hicox and perhaps Stiglitz, he was kind of cool), the antagonists were really cool (Landa, Hellstrom), and it just got boring with a bunch of other characters you didn't like or care about.

I don't generally care for Tarantino as an actor, he's just there so you look for him when he pops up. He wasn't too bad in Pulp though to be fair.
(edited 9 years ago)
RIP Bob Hoskins. Very good in The Long Good Friday.
Original post by Prandtl
RIP Bob Hoskins. Very good in The Long Good Friday.

Yeah great film, :beer: RIP Bob.
Original post by Tom78

Tarantino started going downhill after Jackie Brown (his best movie). Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are excellent, but it seems that as he got more and more famous, he became more and more like a spoiled child indulging himself with longer and longer scripts which became less sparky, less original and less funny. Kill Bill was ok, but his two supposedly 'grindhouse' movies Death Proof and Grindhouse were atrocious and Inglorious and Django are both tedious and remarkably free of genuine humour. A good indicator of just how far he has lost touch with reality was his preposterous comment that with Django he was attempting to put slavery on the map as it had not really been explored properly in the cinema!
(edited 9 years ago)
Who saw Locke yet?!

I made the "mistake" of not checking any trailer or anything beforehand, but I suppose I liked it.
Original post by lustawny
I watched Black Swan quite recently. It was a very good film, but I was left wondering how the hell they managed to make Natalie Portman's legs bend forwards like the legs of a swan. Eerie stuff.

Editing, body doubles and CGI technology work marvelously.

So pumped to see what kind of crazy-ass creature Andy Serkis will be playing. As long as it's not Jar Jar.
Grace of Monaco, the Cannes opener, has been panned.. When Diana came out and I saw the poor reviews, I did think at least the Kidman princess movie would be better but it seems not. Oh dear :tongue: Looks like it could be a good watch in a so-bad-it's-good way? Peter Bradshaw's one star review is quite a funny read.
Interstellar theatrical trailer:

[video="youtube;zSWdZVtXT7E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E[/video]
Reply 9273
Ultimate film geek right here, I feel at home. Anyone seen Godzilla yet? Watched it last night I want to see what people thought of it.
Original post by Tom78
Interstellar theatrical trailer:

[video="youtube;zSWdZVtXT7E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E[/video]

Saw it yesterday in IMAX before Godzilla came on. Godzilla is amazing, especially in IMAX. Great trailer, didn't see any Matt Damon or Hathaway footage apart from like a second.
Original post by STARFLEET
Saw it yesterday in IMAX before Godzilla came on. Godzilla is amazing, especially in IMAX. Great trailer, didn't see any Matt Damon or Hathaway footage apart from like a second.

Is a rather large ensemble cast though!
Original post by Tom78
Is a rather large ensemble cast though!

I love how they got theoretical physicist Kip Thorne as Exec producer, so you know this is the real deal.
Original post by STARFLEET
I love how they got theoretical physicist Kip Thorne as Exec producer, so you know this is the real deal.

I see what you did there, unintentionally perhaps.

THEORETICAL physics and REAL...okay. they can be as fictional as a Harry Potter book. Theorising about things that are unproveable from their basements.
Lol

But should be good to add some theoretical possibilities ie. creativity to the movie

Sent from my HTC One
Winter Soldier is every bit as good as I remember it.
I'm so addicted to Mubi right now - anyone else use it? It's pretty fun every day waking up to a new film that you would otherwise find difficult to locate. The Bird With the Crystal Plummage, Memories of Underdevelopment and Grey Gardens are on there right now which are marvellous films.

Original post by cambo211
Winter Soldier is every bit as good as I remember it.

I really loved the Robert Redford side but the hitting each other bit... Nyah. It felt like a lot of the themes touched upon were just that, and needed much more development.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending