Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS level English Language - need coursework ideas!

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For my coursework i have to do two pieces of original writing.

They must fall into different categories - the four categories are
    writing:

- to inform
    - to persuade
    - to advise/instruct
    - to entertain

I had two ideas a while ago which i have now scrapped because they are boring. I cannot think of anything interesting to do. The total number of words for both pieces combine must be 1500-3000 words. I've only got a month left to do it now. So if anyone can help please do! All ideas welcomed

Btw it can be pretty much anything as long as there is a realistic audience. Suggestions from the exam board/my teacher are newspaper articles, comedy script for stand-up routine, advice on managing money, how to cope with GCSEs etc.

Sorry if this isn't clear enough, i'm in a rush! Lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.
    Cool thanks, I like the leaflet advertising idea a lot, except S Club 7 no longer exist . I'm not gonna write a story coz i'm rubbish at writing stories.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't do the stand up thing - could go reallly wrong! how about a letter to your MP about top up fees or something like that? if you do the persuade category all you have to do is argue, that must be quite manageable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of writing to your MP. Why don't you have a look in the Main forum and see if the threads give you any ideas on what to complain about?

Or, if you want to inform someone, how about writing a conversation (invent two characters) in the style of a forum thread? You could ask a question, answer it, and bring up various other spin-off questions on your subject. You'd have to make sure your spelling and punctuation are quite good, as it's for English, but you could use two different dialects, slang, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help everyone, all your ideas are great and have helped LOADS! I've decided to do a letter to an MP, though i don't know what the subject of the letter will be yet, and a leaflet advertising a competition to meet a band or something (for younger teens). Thanks again x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually i can't do the competition thing and letter because they are both to persuade. What can i write about to either advise/instruct or inform? Has to be interesting and over 1000 words.
Updated: February 1, 2004
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.