The Student Room Group

S6 Option Choice

I am trying to figure out what to do for my options in S6...

So far I've picked AH Chemistry, AH Biology, H Psychology and I'm definitely going to have one free column.

I can't decide between H Physics or H Music. I want to do medicine so I'm wondering what I should do... I was thinking H Music would be fun for me and it's an art so I thought it would show I'm well rounded. However, even though none of my Med School choices ask for a Physics qualification one did say that H Physics would be of benefit. So I don't know what to do?

I know you can't make my decision for me but what do you think/would you do?

Thanks for the help!!
Reply 1
I would drop Psychology and take Music and Physics. But if you can't do that because of columns, Physics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Vitamin D
I would drop Psychology and take Music and Physics. But if you can't do that because of columns, Physics.

This.
Reply 3
Original post by Vitamin D

Original post by Delaney
This.

Thanks for your help guys! Just wondering... is there any particular reason as to why you wouldn't recommend taking Psychology?

I remember once someone told me that it's not very well respected because it's so new. Is this why?
Reply 4
Original post by joshuaC
Thanks for your help guys! Just wondering... is there any particular reason as to why you wouldn't recommend taking Psychology?

I remember once someone told me that it's not very well respected because it's so new. Is this why?

Not really, just that the other two would be more beneficial to you.
Reply 5
Tricky one, if you can't do what Vit D says then I personally would say music - shows a more rounded applicant and I haven't used a whole lot of physics in Medicine yet apart from a tiny bit in imaging, which you get lectures on anyway and you just need to be able to interpret them anyway.

Have you asked admissions what they'd prefer?

In the end its your call - what would you rather do?
Reply 6
Original post by joshuaC

Medicine is incredibly competitive as you would imagine. For the school that says Physics is of benefit of it comes down to you and another candidate with the exact same level of PS, reference and the exact same grades but the other candidate has Physics, you will be at a disadvantage.

I imagine you are already doing chem bio and maths so 4 sciences would be more than enough and music would balance it all out a bit.
Reply 7
Original post by TheRabbit
Tricky one, if you can't do what Vit D says then I personally would say music - shows a more rounded applicant and I haven't used a whole lot of physics in Medicine yet apart from a tiny bit in imaging, which you get lectures on anyway and you just need to be able to interpret them anyway.

Have you asked admissions what they'd prefer?

In the end its your call - what would you rather do?

I was thinking about it showing I'm more rounded rather than just all sciences too! Yeah, I was trying to think about what I would use my knowledge of Higher Physics in medicine and couldn't really come up with a great deal.

I've emailed admissions of all my choices and I'm just waiting on them getting back to me in the next week.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by joshuaC
I am trying to figure out what to do for my options in S6...

So far I've picked AH Chemistry, AH Biology, H Psychology and I'm definitely going to have one free column.

I can't decide between H Physics or H Music. I want to do medicine so I'm wondering what I should do... I was thinking H Music would be fun for me and it's an art so I thought it would show I'm well rounded. However, even though none of my Med School choices ask for a Physics qualification one did say that H Physics would be of benefit. So I don't know what to do?

I know you can't make my decision for me but what do you think/would you do?

Thanks for the help!!

I'm going into S6 too and want to do AH Chemistry, Biology and French. Also hoping to crash H Physics, IMO drop Psychology, it's a namby pamby course at high school and the only thing that would look on it favourably is if you wanted to study Psychology at university!!!

Definitely do Physics and Music if you can in place of psychology.
Reply 9
Original post by mckinnon94
I'm going into S6 too and want to do AH Chemistry, Biology and French. Also hoping to crash H Physics, IMO drop Psychology, it's a namby pamby course at high school and the only thing that would look on it favourably is if you wanted to study Psychology at university!!!

Definitely do Physics and Music if you can in place of psychology.

I think that's just exactly what I'll do. Thank you very much for your help and good luck with your Highers this year and AHs/Hs in S6!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending