The Student Room Group

GDL Distinction

Has anyone here managed to get a distinction on the GDL?

I recently got some exam/CW results back, and although far from terrible, they weren't as high as I was anticipating. Now I really need to dominate the upcoming exams in order push my aggregate higher.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm at BPP (full time though). I almost wish that I had done part-time. I haven't been able to manage my time to get any mock assessments in (it really is a joke to think that you can write essays every week on top of the work already given), so I'm really just shooting in the dark.

I'm starting to get majorly pissed off with it all -the fact that I didn't get the marks I wanted, the lack of mock assessment time etc- and intend on focusing that rage on the kicking the sh^t of my exams!
It's pretty easy to get a distinction. The multiple choice exams are easy marks, as is the IRE. It's then just a question of having good enough exam technique to average about 66 in the exams.
Reply 3
Oh yeah, I'm also considering starting drinking! It's surprising how many of my classmates tell me they drink in the evenings.

I can see now why some many city types are coke heads...
Reply 4
Original post by dalianatkinson
It's pretty easy to get a distinction. The multiple choice exams are easy marks, as is the IRE. It's then just a question of having good enough exam technique to average about 66 in the exams.

Hey, haven't seen you round in ages. How are things? Gearing up for the opening of the Portal?
Original post by jjarvis
Hey, haven't seen you round in ages. How are things? Gearing up for the opening of the Portal?

Waiting to hear back from a final round actually - so fingers crossed no portal! [Although I'm not overly hopeful].

Other than that, enduring the slog of the BPTC. Hope things are good in Tabland.
Reply 6
What marks have you actually received back? EU exam? The only assessed work I've done so far is the contract CW but I'm not aware of marks being out... you haven't already got that back have you?! Hopefully you can pull the marks up in the exams and with your IRE anyway.

I should probably be doing my tort practice essay right now on nuisance but when I looked on the VLE the other day the 2nd lecture wasn't up yet. Hopefully it is now, because the deadline is Monday! Sometimes it is a bit disorganised and I feel like I have loads to catch up on before I can start doing full on revision

Yes, EU MCT and contract CW results were released on Friday. Things move fast when you're a full timer! If you're part-time, timing may be a little different, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

I certainly hope I can pull my marks up (not that they were terrible. All in the 60's, so not a complete disaster). I just wish I had done better; especially because I know the arseho7es in my class will have done well. Just from looking at the other results I would say the majority of people got 70 and above for the EU MCT, so I'm kicking myself a little at that. Luckily, it's only two results with low overall percentages, so there's still all to play for.

Just out of interest, how are you finding the workload on the GDL PT?
Reply 7
From my time at CoL, I think it's a combination of working smart (i.e. being organised, keeping on top of stuff, without trying to memorise everything or do every exercise) and then the usual uni stuff about learning through experience what they are looking for in an answer, being able to question spot, having a reasonably good memory. on the latter, I am reasonably certain that a friend on the GDL had a photographic memory.

Not wanting to sound blase, but to be honest I don't think getting a commendation would have changed my life much.
Reply 8
Waiting to hear back from a final round actually - so fingers crossed no portal! [Although I'm not overly hopeful].

Other than that, enduring the slog of the BPTC. Hope things are good in Tabland.

Oh, I hope you get good news soon! Tabland's great, if intense and very hard work. Still struggling to decide on the whole bar/solicitor thing--leaning barwards, for sure, but doing some work experience this spring/summer to try to clarify. Anyway, best of luck, let me know how you fare.
Reply 9
Where did you get the contract results? Are they somewhere on the VLE and if so can you tell me where to look? Thanks! I didn't see any announcement and I was on the contract page just a minute ago catching up on lectures. Or did you get an email? 60s are fine so I wouldn't worry

We had the same submission deadline as full timers so I would only find it fair to get my results at the same time :P

I've always found my results via the VLE academic registry tab and then the examinations office tab. I stress that I am a full timer so how and when your results are delivered my well be different. I know the January start students are emailed their results for instance...
Reply 10
Original post by Harvey77
I'm at BPP (full time though). I almost wish that I had done part-time. I haven't been able to manage my time to get any mock assessments in (it really is a joke to think that you can write essays every week on top of the work already given), so I'm really just shooting in the dark.

I'm starting to get majorly pissed off with it all -the fact that I didn't get the marks I wanted, the lack of mock assessment time etc- and intend on focusing that rage on the kicking the sh^t of my exams!

Can you tell me anything about the full-time, two day per week schedule at BPP? I heard you can watch lectures on a DVD instead, and only actually visit the campus 2 days per week for the full-time GDL. Is this true?
I have managed to get distinctions in my mocks and a high distinction in my first piece of coursework.

In order to answer problem questions to distinction standard you must know the law, be able to state it concisely and apply it immediately and relevantly to the facts. There are no marks for just putting down everything you know. CoL operates 'impression-based' marking so it helps to have a lawyerly written style and impeccable punctuation, spelling and grammar. If you come to a conclusion (and you should unless there's a genuinely equivocal situation) you must have pesuasively argued your case while being aware of the counterarguments.

In terms of coursework depth of research counts for a lot. For coursework problem questions the ability to come up with practical advice and to use all the facts to support your argument is what will get you a distinction.
Reply 12

I don't suppose you know hows this figures into an exemption candidate? The only multiple choice exam I had to sit was ELS (got 92), aside from that, BPP assign Land, Equity, and Criminal as 11% each, does this mean only these are considered when coming up with my overall award, or will the exemptions be an assumed grade?

Original post by Harvey77

I agree, the deadlines for the essays seem fairly tight, e.g. equity having a week from release to due date, but it should be possible to do at least some of them. My first equity was released the week I was on a mini, and classes were on a saturday, so I started on sunday afternoon and finished sunday evening and still managed 66%.

Original post by tony_ron
Can you tell me anything about the full-time, two day per week schedule at BPP? I heard you can watch lectures on a DVD instead, and only actually visit the campus 2 days per week for the full-time GDL. Is this true?

BPP post all their lectures online, which is very handy, and pretty much negates the requirement to take notes when combined with print outs of the slides.
Original post by MickJB1989
I don't suppose you know hows this figures into an exemption candidate? The only multiple choice exam I had to sit was ELS (got 92), aside from that, BPP assign Land, Equity, and Criminal as 11% each, does this mean only these are considered when coming up with my overall award, or will the exemptions be an assumed grade?

I agree, the deadlines for the essays seem fairly tight, e.g. equity having a week from release to due date, but it should be possible to do at least some of them. My first equity was released the week I was on a mini, and classes were on a saturday, so I started on sunday afternoon and finished sunday evening and still managed 66%.

BPP post all their lectures online, which is very handy, and pretty much negates the requirement to take notes when combined with print outs of the slides.

I imagine you have it harder in that case - although you have very little to revise.
Bloody hell the BPP system sounds rather complicated. At CoL it's two essays, seven exams and that's it.
Original post by resipsaloq
Bloody hell the BPP system sounds rather complicated. At CoL it's two essays, seven exams and that's it.

BPP was 7 exams, 1 long essay, 1 short essay and 2 multiple choice tests.

The multiple choice tests were exceedingly easy.

The essays were pretty easy.

Performance in the exams was chiefly dictated by exam technique and memory ability.
Reply 16

Performance in the exams was chiefly dictated by exam technique and memory ability.

That's not entirely accurate.

There are 6 three hour core exams, 2 analysis tests (case & statute), 1 independent research essay, 2 pieces of coursework, 2 multiple choice tests (of which the ELS MCT doesn't count towards your final grade).

Wish I'd gone there then. Although I'm doing well at CoL I'm having to work extremely hard. 50 hour weeks are the norm.
Original post by resipsaloq
Wish I'd gone there then. Although I'm doing well at CoL I'm having to work extremely hard. 50 hour weeks are the norm.

Yeah but the work will make you a better lawyer.

Maybe my experience was unusual - I have got a very good memory.
Reply 19
Is there any distinction between the locations of institutions, i.e. CoL B'ham is poorly rated, whereas CoL Chester is highly regarded...

and though BPP isn't open book but rote learning does this necessarily guarantee higher chances of gaining distinctions?

Also is which/or what alternative institution is best regarded for BPTC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending