The Student Room Group

Had to quit university because I was ill: Doomed for life?

Hi all,

I was wondering whether the fact that I attended a university for one year, passed my first year, then had to quit half way through my second year for medical reasons which extended as such (over the one year limit) to cause my university to drop me, would harm my chances for university acceptance as a mature student.

This is my main question, as my second is probably more common - I realised that half way through my medically-forced gap year that I actually disliked my original subject (biochemistry) and would prefer to study something else. As such my A levels (triple A, but for Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics) wouldn't suit any entry requirements for the subject. I am totally up for doing night schools to get myself qualified, however, but as a mature student would they understand?

I thank you for any information you might have.
'fraid so.
Reply 2
No, Im not too sure, but you may still qualify as an undergraduate, because you have genuine mitigating circumstances!! but the best thing to do is call up some universities and tell them your situation, they would know better.
Reply 3
Call the universities you're interested in and explain your situation. They'll probably want something in writing from your GP stating that you're fit to attend university (my uni asked me for this when I had to take a year out) but hopefully you should have the same chance as anyone else.
Reply 4
Original post by MedicallyForcedGap
Hi all,

I was wondering whether the fact that I attended a university for one year, passed my first year, then had to quit half way through my second year for medical reasons which extended as such (over the one year limit) to cause my university to drop me, would harm my chances for university acceptance as a mature student.

This is my main question, as my second is probably more common - I realised that half way through my medically-forced gap year that I actually disliked my original subject (biochemistry) and would prefer to study something else. As such my A levels (triple A, but for Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics) wouldn't suit any entry requirements for the subject. I am totally up for doing night schools to get myself qualified, however, but as a mature student would they understand?

I thank you for any information you might have.
There's no reason why you wouldn't be accepted for an alternative course, assuming you have the essential qualifications for it, just because illness caused you to abandon your original degree programme. Also, assuming you passed the first year, you should have a Certificate of Higher Education. Your attendance at the uni needs to be shown on your UCAS form in any case.

Once you have decided what you'd like to go for and where, talk to the unis concerned about your situation and see what they say.

On the finance side of things, you might like to check with Student Finance how many years you are still entitled to. Because you were forced to leave because of illness, you may be able to persuade them that you can still have full funding for a three year degree (the worst case is that they would deem you to have had two years funding already and therefore you would have to self-fund for one year).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Couple of people I know have had serious drug or alcohol problems, criminal records, homelessness, the whole calamity. They turned things round and are now mature students. So I don't think dropping out once before due to ill health is going to prejudice your application too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending