The Student Room Group

Well I'm buggered

Ok so I just discovered you can find out offer conditions on track by clicking on the course code, it took me two weeks to figure it out! Anyway I have two offers from one university, and they want 240 points from at least 2 a levvels, I can include the points I've gotten from my Certificate in Financial studies, which is equivalent to an AS level, but not from the Diploma in Financial Studies, which i was told by all my teachers is the same amount of ucas points as an A-level, and they never told me some universities might not accept it. If my other unis with higher grade boundaries are the same then I'm not going to get enough points to get in! Grrrr I'm so annoyed. Anybody got any ideas on what i could do?
Reply 1
But if you get your predicted grades you will have 340 points, you don't need any more from diplomas or whatever. Or have I misunderstood your profile?
Reply 2
you need 240, If you get your A and B in Biology and Maths, thats 220 UCAS, you need 20 more, what was your certificate in financial studies worth? It is Doable, especially if you get an A in biology rather than a B

kes
Reply 3
If you really think you won't do it then you can decline all of your offers and apply somewhere else through Extra.

Or you could wait until results day, and if you get lower grades they might still accept you. And if they don't there's Clearing!
Well I can manage for my 240 points but not for either of my two higher offers of 320. If I get my predicted grades I'll get 120 for maths, 100 for biology, 60 from my certificate and i can use the 30 from my D AS level in chemistry so thats 310 points, we'll have to see.

I've had a word with one of the teacher sanyway and she rang the exam board for me, apparently they're in discussions with UCAS at the moment getting it sorted, and they're going to ring all my unis on my behalf and tell them because its there mistake! God stress. THanks for the help though dudes xx

--------------

oooh and how possible do you think it is to do an AS level from now until july? And if i did could I add it to my application even though its already been sent off?
Reply 5
Im in the same boat as you. I took AS: maths , chemistry and CEFS i got

MATHS(C)
CHEMISTRY(B)
CEFS(B)

Ive carried on with all three subjects.

I got an offer from aston saying that i need 2 Bs in my GCE Alevels (maths n chem) problem is i dont think i can get a B in maths.

Should i tell my finance teacher to ring my unis up and argue with them?
Reply 6
I don't think so; your situation is a bit different. buttercup was misled into thinking her diploma would count so she applied to unis with that. On the other hand, it's probably in the conditions in the prospectus for Aston that you need a B in a subject (in your case maths)...so I don't think you can argue really.
Reply 7
"I don't think so; your situation is a bit different. buttercup was misled into thinking her diploma would count so she applied to unis with that. On the other hand, it's probably in the conditions in the prospectus for Aston that you need a B in a subject (in your case maths)...so I don't think you can argue really."

I was told that if i did the diploma it would be the same as an A2 and that i would get same points as a normal A2 for it. For the BEng in chemical engineering they dont want a B in maths they say "Maths not essential but welcomed".
I can argue til I'm blue in the face but I don't think it'll make that much difference, my school say they will ring up loughborough or sheffield if i get rejected before the 6th Dec (the final ucas deicsion date), but all they can do is ask for me. I just feel dissapointed because I know that if I'd have been told sooner I could have done another AS level and got the points they'd been looking for. I know taking another year and doing some more as levels is an option, but I've been desperate to go to uni for over a year already and it'd just drive me crazy.

If they do reject you, ring them up and ask why, if its anything to do with he DipFS then its worth giving it a try. Nevermind though, either way its not the end of the world I suppose =D
Reply 9
What i dont get is, is that if you can get an A and a B in Maths and Biology, why you don't have a third A-Level, you seem a perfectly able student! Infact, obviously more than able. How perplexing.
recurring
What i dont get is, is that if you can get an A and a B in Maths and Biology, why you don't have a third A-Level, you seem a perfectly able student! Infact, obviously more than able. How perplexing.

I thought that finance was my third a level! I was told it would be accepted as one, but it isnt. The Finance AS level i did is though :-S. If I had been told otherwise earlier i could have done a business AS to get my points up. But nevermind, c'est la vie I guess!

Latest

Trending

Trending