Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Q for all who are undecided about God, the don't-knowers ...

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lets say you live in Christchurch New Zealand, or any Pacific island or coastal area ... you have escaped what has already happened and you have seen the sudden death of thousands in Japan and you know the same could happen to you tonight ... does this have any effect on your desire to find the salvation that Christians talk about?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why, Pascal's wager?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Why, Pascal's wager?
    No, your response... maybe it's too difficult because it's so far away and it's all nothing but a hypothetical argument to you?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't have any impact on my beliefs.
    I'm somewhere between agnostic and atheist. Having studied geography for a few years I definitely do not assume that a supernatural being causes major earthquakes - they're natural disasters which happen near fault boundaries because of the way which tectonic plates move.

The chances of a 9.0 magnitude earthquake hitting north west england tonight is basically zero compared to, say, chile or another part of the 'ring of fire'.

If anything it reduces any chance that I could believe that an omniscient and omnipotent supernatural being created this world as there would be no reason to kill thousands of people who are essentially good.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Lets say you live in Christchurch New Zealand, or any Pacific island or coastal area ... you have escaped what has already happened and you have seen the sudden death of thousands in Japan and you know the same could happen to you tonight ... does this have any effect on your desire to find the salvation that Christians talk about?
    The Jews believe that only the Torah can save. Christians believe otherwise. The Jews of this century believe that all the catastrophes and natural distasters occured because of too little Torah study.

Between Judaism and Christianity is there anything else?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    No, your response... maybe it's too difficult because it's so far away and it's all nothing but a hypothetical argument to you?
    Not sure I could honestly seek salvation in a god who was capable of creating the very situation that made me seek it.

Of course, if you're a deist then you wouldn't put natural disasters down to divine intervention. But then there would be no point in seeking salvation since a god so conceived would have no interest in human plight.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Not sure I could honestly seek salvation in a god who was capable of creating the very situation that made me seek it.

Of course, if you're a deist then you wouldn't put natural disasters down to divine intervention. But then there would be no point in seeking salvation since a god so conceived would have no interest in human plight.
    I believe God created natural life, gave it to you and the fact that you choose not to end it shows that you percieve it to be good.
    You also know (at least I hope you do) that neither you or your parents could create it (or even a hair on your head).

God also created the opportunity for you to receive his nature which includes eternal life such that how and when you die becomes irrelevant since you have found the one enduring thing you take from this fleeting existance.
    It's now all about how you live.. discovering your new potential as someone who works with God rather than an independant.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Shutup you cock
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I believe God created natural life, gave it to you and the fact that you choose not to end it shows that you percieve it to be good.
    You also know (at least I hope you do) that neither you or your parents could create it (or even a hair on your head).

God also created the opportunity for you to receive his nature which includes eternal life such that how and when you die becomes irrelevant since you have found the one enduring thing you take from this fleeting existance.
    It's now all about how you live.. discovering your new potential as someone who works with God rather than an independant.
    God is man made. And therefore God couldn't create life because that would just be a circular argument.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So youre saying that if I was in the fence and somehow I just escaped a disaster like that? or if by some slim chance it didn't didirectly affect me would that entice me to seek Christianity or religion?

Only if I was already seeking it. Obviously I'm putting myself in 3rd person because I somewhat do believe, but I don't honestly know enough to say for sure or not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acies)
    God is man made. And therefore God couldn't create life because that would just be a circular argument.
    You start with an un-proven premise so the rest of your argument is a waste of time.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

The fact that humans cannot, in a laboratory create a hair on a head or a human life is simply a fact of scientific lack. science through man has created structures much stronger than hair, and tools much more useful to protect people from the sun, but in the end, hair is completely chemical. It is a chemical compound of interconnected molecules, which does not prove the existance of God. I believe in a God because I find it peronally comforting, but I don't mix what that with any of my everyday activities, in my opinion, God does not affect any lives, there was merely a greater power that created us, like Mother Nature has no interest in us personally. much like Nietzsche so candidly put it, God is dead. But that's what I personally find most fulfilling, I also am aware other beliefs such as Atheism or Christianity or Wicca or what have you do the trick for others. If so, that's great. As long as it works for you and it's socially beneficial, I'm big on supporting it. That's mre important than what you believe.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    You start with an un-proven premise so the rest of your argument is a waste of time.
    Right back at you?

Prove God. Empirically and beyond doubt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    Right back at you?

Prove God. Empirically and beyond doubt.
    What do you mean empirically?

What would constitute proof?

One can look at DNA and conclude that this mechanism could not have evolved.It is counter-science to believe that it did.

One can look at how bible prophecies were fulfilled to the letter, many years after God gave them.

One could look at how people found the salvation God offers, a life they never had before - this is God's primary concern at this time - he fulfils his agenda.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    What do you mean empirically?

What would constitute proof?

One can look at DNA and conclude that this mechanism could not have evolved.It is counter-science to believe that it did.

One can look at how bible prophecies were fulfilled to the letter, many years after God gave them.

One could look at how people found the salvation God offers, a life they never had before - this is God's primary concern at this time - he fulfils his agenda.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empiricism

By proof, one would need sufficient evidence or a strong enough argument to support your proposition. Evidence must be trustworthy and infallible.

I fail to see how either of your examples fulfill any of these criteria. They're all hearsay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Simply, no. I don't think fear would force me to revise my stand-point with regards to afterlife and God's existence.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, I am an atheist, not an agnostic any more. I suppose there is still part of me that wants to believe but, this is contradicted by facts and common sense. However i respect religion, as although it has caused a lot of problems, it has also done a lot of good, and given a lot of people the hope and strength to carry on through the bad times. Although i don't believe in it, the world would be missing something vital without religion, despite all the wars it has caused

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2011
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.