The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What do you all cover in A level maths and FM? I'm doing Higher Maths, so obviously it's a little different.

Why the neg rep? I'm just asking...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Proof by induction is very much a proper proof technique. That's not really the logic behind it though: You prove it's true for n=1 (1) and then you show that if it's true for some k it's also true for (k+1) (2). This shows it must be true for all n, because by (1) it's true for n=1, and so by (2) (using k=1) it's true for 2, and so by (2) (using k=2) it's true for 3, and so....

In fact, the method of proof by induction can be formally proven using something called the well ordering principle.

Sorry what i meant was from the FP1 stuff ive done with it i just felt like i wasnt really proving anything (we have done divisibility, matrixes, summation formula and recurrance relation). I understand the method behind it, it just seems to bug me. I like proof by contractive however =p
Original post by maths134
Sorry what i meant was from the FP1 stuff ive done with it i just felt like i wasnt really proving anything (we have done divisibility, matrixes, summation formula and recurrance relation). I understand the method behind it, it just seems to bug me. I like proof by contractive however =p

I think I know why it bugs you - perhaps you think it is a bit of a "short-cut". But thats why I think its so cool.
Thought i'd let everyone know that i'm considering switching to engineering. Just seeing everyones grades etc made me realise i'm probably quite a weak applicant. Still got ages to think it through though.
Hey, any questions feel free to PM me :smile:
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Thought i'd let everyone know that i'm considering switching to engineering. Just seeing everyones grades etc made me realise i'm probably quite a weak applicant. Still got ages to think it through though.

nonononononononononono :frown: :frown: :frown: - lol. I'm sure you dont. PM your grades and everything you want to know.
Hi!
GCSE's: 6A* and 5A's
Alevels: maths, further maths, chemistry and biology (planning to drop it at the end of this year tho)
Preperation: i work at kumon tuition and help kids with maths work, reading maths related books, going to do an open university course over summer and help out in lower school maths lessons
possible unis to apply to: warwick, imperial, bath, bristol and nottingham

im currently looking for work experience but cant find any...can anyone help??
Reply 187
Original post by Reminisce
GCSE: 10A*s 3As and A in Additional Maths
A Level: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics. (see sig for more info...)
Unis: Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, ...
Other Stuff: Readings (Chaos theory, infinity, number theory, finance...), work experience (in the University of Cambridge Department of mathematical sciences), STEP, etc. etc...

Sorry if I sound blunt or anything I would just literally kill to be in your shoes how on EARTH did you manage to secure work experience in Cambridge?! Did you just phone up and ask them or do you know someone who's going to take you in?
Reply 188
Hey everyone :biggrin:
GCSEs: 4A*s 6As
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and French
Universities: Oxbridge (I have no idea which one!)/Imperial/UCL/Warwick/LSE/Bristol/Bath
How I'm preparing: yeah i've bought a couple of maths books from reading lists and i expect on the last week of term I'll end up clearing out my school library out of all their maths books haha! Expecting to crack open step/oxford preparation during the summer too.

MATHSMATHSMATHS <3
Original post by like_a_star
Hi!
GCSE's: 6A* and 5A's
Alevels: maths, further maths, chemistry and biology (planning to drop it at the end of this year tho)
Preperation: i work at kumon tuition and help kids with maths work, reading maths related books, going to do an open university course over summer and help out in lower school maths lessons
possible unis to apply to: warwick, imperial, bath, bristol and nottingham

im currently looking for work experience but cant find any...can anyone help??

I'm doing finance related work experience... closest related to Maths that I could find. And yay another girl! How come you are not thinking of applying to oxbridge, your GCSE's look pretty damn good.

Original post by Mincan
Hey everyone :biggrin:
GCSEs: 4A*s 6As
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and French
Universities: Oxbridge (I have no idea which one!)/Imperial/UCL/Warwick/LSE/Bristol/Bath
How I'm preparing: yeah i've bought a couple of maths books from reading lists and i expect on the last week of term I'll end up clearing out my school library out of all their maths books haha! Expecting to crack open step/oxford preparation during the summer too.

MATHSMATHSMATHS <3

Yay and another girl! What reading lists did you look at/which books did you buy?

Original post by ebmaj7
I'm in, lads.

GCSE: 4A*, 7A.
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music.
100% in C1. :smile:

Can I ask everyone about any books they're reading? I'm not much of a book reader (I'm sure sure whether I should express this to any universities), but I know I should include some further reading.
Just some interesting books that aren't overly complicated, any ideas?

And girls.

Has anyone started doing Oxford exam prep? Have you tried any of the extended questions (not multi-choice) and how are you finding them?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mincan
Sorry if I sound blunt or anything I would just literally kill to be in your shoes how on EARTH did you manage to secure work experience in Cambridge?! Did you just phone up and ask them or do you know someone who's going to take you in?

It was through something in my school (I think it's a charity (or something) that helps students get these sort of things). Basically, I applied as that but I did all the arrangements myself (it's for THIS summer btw so I did everything in November).
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle

You shouldn't think like that! I've applied for Maths this year on the back of 7A and 4B at GCSE and a 'you'll be lucky to get one offer' from my head of year. However, 2 months down the line from applying and i was sitting on 5 offers and am now (fingers crossed) off to Nottingham this September :smile: Obviously you have ages to think it over, but if you want any advice feel free to pm me :smile:
Original post by laughylolly
Has anyone started doing Oxford exam prep? Have you tried any of the extended questions (not multi-choice) and how are you finding them?

Some of them I can do, but some I get stuck near the end. How about you?
Reply 193
Potential re-applicant here!

Not to sound like a massive douchebag but ater doing STEP, they felt really easy. I haven´t done many though as I´ve been doing STEP.
3/4 questions this morning, oh yeah!!!!!!

I've looked at the 2010 one, it doesn't seem too hard. There aren't many papers so I'll do the others later in the year, and look at STEP now
Work hard guys. :smile: I'm sure you'll all do well
Original post by ilovedubstep
Some of them I can do, but some I get stuck near the end. How about you?

The multiple choice ones I've found pretty straight forward. I've tried some of the extended questions (although late at night when my brain isn't quite clear) and I could start them but I think there are a few things in the A level syllabus that you need to know for the entrance exam that I haven't covered because I'm doing Higher Maths which covers slightly different things. So I couldn't do some of the questions. I'll need to catch up on them.

I started some questions from 2010 but then I realized there is no marking scheme so I couldn't check my answers!
The multiple choice ones I've found pretty straight forward. I've tried some of the extended questions (although late at night when my brain isn't quite clear) and I could start them but I think there are a few things in the A level syllabus that you need to know for the entrance exam that I haven't covered because I'm doing Higher Maths which covers slightly different things. So I couldn't do some of the questions. I'll need to catch up on them.

I started some questions from 2010 but then I realized there is no marking scheme so I couldn't check my answers!

there's some discussion for that exam here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381002, about 30 pages in though
Original post by dnumberwang
there's some discussion for that exam here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381002, about 30 pages in though

Oh, thanks =)