The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovedubstep
Can't you just get the books out your school library?

My school library is really small. I just assumed it wouldn't have anything of any interest to me. I might go take a look tomorrow but its a bit late because I've just spent £17 on those three books.
Not really, but it was relatively cheap.
Reply 22
Hey, glad to have discovered this thread.
GCSEs: 9A*s, 1A
As Lvls: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and Biology
Universities: Queens, Manchester, Glasgow/Edinburgh,Liverpool, Bath/Bristol... maybe Cambridge
Preparation: I've applied for a nuffield bursary, downloaded Step papers to work on over summer and have not gotten any books yet although Letters to a Young Mathematician was recommended to me. So I'm heading to Amazon now XD

Did any of you sit f. maths modules in January? And what modules were they out of interest
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
GCSE:3A*'s,7A's,1B

AS:Maths,Further Maths,Chemistry,German

Planning on doing Maths and Economics.
Considering: Warwick,Bristol,Nottingham,Durham,Sheffield, maybe even Cambridge as one choice for straight maths.:biggrin:
Original post by chibi_oc
Universities: Queens, Manchester, Glasgow/Edinburgh,Liverpool, Bath/Bristol... maybe Cambridge
Preparation: I've applied for a nuffield bursary, downloaded Step papers to work on over summer and have not gotten any books yet although Letters to a Young Mathematician was recommended to me. So I'm heading to Amazon now XD

Did any of you sit f. maths modules in January? And what modules were they out of interest?

Wow, my Gcse's are quite poor compared to everyone else on this thread and yes I did one further maths module which i ran out of time on and came out with a rather disappointing 74/100. Obviously retaking and It was D1 by the way, how about you? Also I bought my first set of maths books about an hour ago and I did come across 'Letters to a young mathematician' but i decided to hold off on it for a while even though it looked quite interesting. I posted the ones i bought on an earlier post.
Reply 25

Did any of you sit f. maths modules in January? And what modules were they out of interest

Technically it wasn't a FM module, it was M1 but I did it in Further Maths which I got 92/100 on, but I only got 84 on C1. :smile:
Original post by Roscosmos
Technically it wasn't a FM module, it was M1 but I did it in Further Maths which I got 92/100 on, but I only got 84 on C1. :smile:

That's really good considering how high the boundaries were this year especially C1. and M1 is a very difficult module so 92 IMO is a very good UMS score.
Reply 27
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
That's really good considering how high the boundaries were this year especially C1. and M1 is a very difficult module so 92 IMO is a very good UMS score.

Thanks for that.:biggrin: Well done on yours. :smile: What exam board do you do maths on?
Mine is OCR MEI.
Reply 28
GCSEs don't really carry a lot of weight though, or so I've heard. It's more how we all perform now XD
Sat D1 in January as well, got a C (59/75), 1 mark off a B (60/75), but then the other five people who are in my class did around the same as me, so we're repeating.

You get to do M1 for FM, I'm very jealous. Sitting that in June for ordinary maths. Did C1 for maths in Jan, got 97, and I know were I lost those 3 marks sigh.

For As FM the modules I have to sit are: Stats 2 (we haven't even been taught Stats 1 yet!!!)
FP1 (absolutely love it)
D1

What ones are both of you sitting?
Oh and found a maths reading list although you have probably already seen it, here it is here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Recommended_Mathematics_Reading
Original post by Roscosmos
Thanks for that.:biggrin: Well done on yours. :smile: What exam board do you do maths on?
Mine is OCR MEI.

Thanks, although i'm pretty disappointed with it. I heard OCR MEI is really difficult, I'm on Edexcel which I actually quite like.
Reply 30
It's not too bad. I've not really looked at any other exam boards so couldn't really compare, however the online resources for MEI are really good, and the majority of the text book exercises have worked solutions, which is really handy. :biggrin:
Reply 31
GCSEs don't really carry a lot of weight though, or so I've heard. It's more how we all perform now XD
Sat D1 in January as well, got a C (59/75), 1 mark off a B (60/75), but then the other five people who are in my class did around the same as me, so we're repeating.

You get to do M1 for FM, I'm very jealous. Sitting that in June for ordinary maths. Did C1 for maths in Jan, got 97, and I know were I lost those 3 marks sigh.

For As FM the modules I have to sit are: Stats 2 (we haven't even been taught Stats 1 yet!!!)
FP1 (absolutely love it)
D1

Oh and found a maths reading list although you have probably already seen it, here it is here

In June I'm sitting: C2,S1,S2 and FP1. C2 and FP1 are both on the same day at the same time for me.:s-smilie:

FP1 (absolutely love it)
D1

Welcome to the thread, did you also do D1 on edexcel? and my other modules (sitting all of them in may/june) are C1, C2, FP1, M1, S1. I've seen that link before, it's quite handy, have you started any reading yet? Also well done on 97 in C1, that's fantastic.

Edit: Got confused with who was who, just seen that you haven't bought any books yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've allready taken C1&2. I've got C3, M1, FP1 and S1 in the summer + maybe STEP I.
Good luck to everyone!
Reply 34
Welcome to the thread, did you also do D1 on edexcel? and my other modules (sitting all of them in may/june) are C1, C2, FP1, M1, S1. I've seen that link before, it's quite handy, have you started any reading yet? Also well done on 97 in C1, that's fantastic.

Edit: Got confused with who was who, just seen that you haven't bought any books yet.

Hey, thanks.
Yep both my maths and f.maths are edexcel. My modules are C2, M1, FP1, S2 and D1(repeat) in June. I've heard scary rumours that S2 and C2 are on the same day:frown:
Hey, thanks.
Yep both my maths and f.maths are edexcel. My modules are C2, M1, FP1, S2 and D1(repeat) in June. I've heard scary rumours that S2 and C2 are on the same day:frown:

I managed to get away with not doing s2 however d1 and s1 are the same day [20th] and m1 and c1 [18th] are also on the same day. you can get your exam dates here. http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/
Reply 36
I managed to get away with not doing s2 however d1 and s1 are the same day [20th] and m1 and c1 [18th] are also on the same day. you can get your exam dates here. http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/

Thanks, you're lucky, stats 2 is the bane of my existance, never did like stats, but it's one of the modules our school chose for us.

And just great, C2 and S2 are on the same day within the same session. :mad:
Thanks, you're lucky, stats 2 is the bane of my existance, never did like stats, but it's one of the modules our school chose for us.

And just great, C2 and S2 are on the same day within the same session. :mad:

I think i may have to do S2 next year but we shall wait and see. I'm also not awfully keen on stats. Also just as a general question to anyone on this thread, does anyone know of any places in London where you can go to free maths/physics lectures?
I think i may have to do S2 next year but we shall wait and see. I'm also not awfully keen on stats. Also just as a general question to anyone on this thread, does anyone know of any places in London where you can go to free maths/physics lectures?

I don't know about london but check this out:
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
Reply 39

go onto itunes u, I know some unis are pretty profilic on there. I would recommend MIT's courses and there are other gems from other unis which are pretty cool
Edit: This is getting ridiculous I was negged again!!!!!! FOR NOTHING
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest