The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
It's not one lecture it's 6 different sessions. Also it's two days, so yeah still not much difference aha. Ian Slater's doing part of it though! I'm definitely looking to gain something from it ^_^. I find STEP II really tough, and I end up doing STEP I or an MAT paper to make myself feel better. -__-

6 sessions? ok, fair enough; I'd imagine you would take quite a bit away from that. But still, they could video the whole lecture and post it online for people like me!

I'm going to ask ian slater if he can video the lectures for the sake of everyone. They must have recording equipment somewhere.
Original post by Ilyas
6 sessions? ok, fair enough; I'd imagine you would take quite a bit away from that. But still, they could video the whole lecture and post it online for people like me!

I'm going to ask ian slater if he can video the lectures for the sake of everyone. They must have recording equipment somewhere.

LOL! Trying to get a maths department to use fancy equipment? That can only end well...

(It doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if he says no.)
Original post by Ilyas
is it really necessary? it is only one day.

And Warwick should just video the whole lecture and post it online; it would be more convenient for them and for us.

I can certainly mention this to Adam Boddison.

My personal view is that there is no point in lecturing at these sessions. At worst, a lecture is a complex photocopier. So my sessions are participative. Students are invited to tackle problems unseen, and then compare and ideally discuss approaches. Often volunteers will present their solutions. That way we can work on the "how could I have seen that?" issue.

Part of the learning experience is to meet other students. Many STEP students are outliers at their own school, and it is a revelation to be amongst a lecture hall full of similar people. It conveys some idea of just how high the 'bar' is.
Original post by ian.slater
I can certainly mention this to Adam Boddison.

My personal view is that there is no point in lecturing at these sessions. At worst, a lecture is a complex photocopier. So my sessions are participative. Students are invited to tackle problems unseen, and then compare and ideally discuss approaches. Often volunteers will present their solutions. That way we can work on the "how could I have seen that?" issue.

Part of the learning experience is to meet other students. Many STEP students are outliers at their own school, and it is a revelation to be amongst a lecture hall full of similar people. It conveys some idea of just how high the 'bar' is.

Agreed. This was the part of STEP school I found really useful, because there were quite a few people in my situation in terms of STEP :yep:
Original post by shamika
LOL! Trying to get a maths department to use fancy equipment? That can only end well...

(It doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if he says no.)

8mp camera in a stand -> youtube upload? not fancy at all; everyone has one these days :yes:
Original post by Ilyas
8mp camera in a stand -> youtube upload? not fancy at all; everyone has one these days :yes:

In fairness I was being deliberately provocative to try to get a response :smile: (Probably not the best way but oh well...)

The more participation on these days the less useful a YouTube video is likely to be. Sounds useful for those attending though!
Reply 4766
Original post by einstein123
Edinburgh because i applied to it (abit bias), what are your as levels/ predictions do you have?:smile: Good luck with your applications!

I'm sorry I answer a bit late ^^

I'm predicted 16/20 (I'm from France).

Why do you wish tu study there ?

For the others, should I choose University of Glasgow or Edimburgh to study Mathematics/Economics ? And why ? =)

THanks !
I wish the STEP thing was two or three consecutive days, rather than two odd Saturdays. It's 6 hours for me to get to Warwick, and though it sounds fun (and if it were on in say, Glasgow or York I would go) I just can't justify the two journeys, two sets of finding somewhere in Warwick to stay, etc. :frown:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I wish the STEP thing was two or three consecutive days, rather than two odd Saturdays. It's 6 hours for me to get to Warwick, and though it sounds fun (and if it were on in say, Glasgow or York I would go) I just can't justify the two journeys, two sets of finding somewhere in Warwick to stay, etc. :frown:

Aww. :frown: Dw, from the looks of it you're off to Oxford anyway! :p:
How many people are taking step who don't have step offers?
Reply 4770
Original post by TheMagicMan

Loads of people at my school, all the oxford mathmos are.

:colondollar: well almost. I'm doing STEP 2&3, but can get away with a 1 in STEP 1. Its for Warwick...
Reply 4772
Original post by deejayy

Will be interesting to see how they do. :colone:

It would be nice to improve my grade from last year, but still unsure.
Original post by deejayy

Original post by deejayy

Mathmos, always creating extra working for themselves.
Reply 4774

I am:smile:
Well, I'm. (Even if I get it for Warwick, I don't think I'll be going to university this year).

Me. Although a 2 in any STEP would reduce my Bath offer, but I should make that if I firm it anyway :biggrin:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Aww. :frown: Dw, from the looks of it you're off to Oxford anyway! :p:

This is true. But STEP is fun!

Me! :cool:
Reply 4778
Hi! Got St Andrews offer on Monday! So happy!!
:biggrin:
Original post by olive325
Hi! Got St Andrews offer on Monday! So happy!!
:biggrin:

Thats Great!!! Well done!! What grades did you have? :smile:

Latest