The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oooft, you guys are keen! Nice choice of subject though :wink:
Original post by r_u_t_h
Oooft, you guys are keen! Nice choice of subject though :wink:

:smile: it's only about 6 months until we have to start applying but it probably is still a tad early. by the way just seen your sig, amazing university offers. well done!
Reply 42
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I think i may have to do S2 next year but we shall wait and see. I'm also not awfully keen on stats. Also just as a general question to anyone on this thread, does anyone know of any places in London where you can go to free maths/physics lectures?

oh and btw I'm surprised this book wasn't on their list (or maybe I'm not looking properly): The Calculus Gallery by William Dunahm. Its pretty amazing - it introduces you to some pretty advanced analysis but in an easily explainable way.
Reply 43
:smile: it's only about 6 months until we have to start applying but it probably is still a tad early. by the way just seen your sig, amazing university offers. well done!

I guess :smile: This time last year I think I was still flirting with the idea of applying for Chemistry, I hadn't properly decided what to apply for, never mind where! And preparatory reading was something that never even crossed my mind till I decided to apply to Cambridge, I think that was around September time... So to all those reading this thread and going 'Holy ****, I'm so underprepared!' chances are you actually aren't!

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by ben-smith
What a coincidence, I am reading no3 as well. Am finding it a bit dry but quite good.

All my books arrived today and i started reading through an 'introduction to mathematical philosophy'. Is it just me or is it really difficult to understand a lot of it.
All my books arrived today and i started reading through an 'introduction to mathematical philosophy'. Is it just me or is it really difficult to understand a lot of it.

What do you mean? the language?
What do you mean? the language?

I mean the mathematical side of things. I had a flick through and a lot of the maths in it wasn't stuff i know about.
I mean the mathematical side of things. I had a flick through and a lot of the maths in it wasn't stuff i know about.

I guess we differ then....
The book is tricky though, but I quite liked it.

Did anyone go to the LSE open day?
I guess we differ then....
The book is tricky though, but I quite liked it.

Did anyone go to the LSE open day?

Ill have to have a proper read before i make up my mind. I didnt know LSE was today, did you go and what did you think if you did?
Reply 49
Well im ashamed to admit I didnt see this thread =p.

Gcse - 7A*'s,4 A's,C (lol spanish)
A levels - Maths, FM, physics, classics (Extra self taught D2 module)
Unis - Cambridge (clare I think), warwick, imperial, UCL, durham, southampton ?
prep - Outside reading, member of the royal institution so attend said lectures, number of courses (cambridge and master classes), run a maths club at school =p (cos im cool), help out lower school classes etc. And a few things not maths related.

And im stocking up on maths reading for the summer, im working through the lighter stuff atm , fermat/music of the primes etc etc.

And hey everyone =D
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by chibi_oc
Hey, glad to have discovered this thread.
GCSEs: 9A*s, 1A
As Lvls: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and Biology
Universities: Queens, Manchester, Glasgow/Edinburgh,Liverpool, Bath/Bristol... maybe Cambridge
Preparation: I've applied for a nuffield bursary, downloaded Step papers to work on over summer and have not gotten any books yet although Letters to a Young Mathematician was recommended to me. So I'm heading to Amazon now XD

Did any of you sit f. maths modules in January? And what modules were they out of interest

Yeh I did C1 (100) D1 (91) and S1 (84) but knew I had done appallingly in S1 so instead of re-sit it im teaching myself D2 to cover it up aha =p
Original post by maths134
Well im ashamed to admit I didnt see this thread =p.

Gcse - 7A*'s,4 A's,C (lol spanish)
A levels - Maths, FM, physics, classics (Extra self taught D2 module)
Unis - Cambridge, warwick, imperial, UCL, durham, southampton ?
prep - Outside reading, member of the royal institution so attend said lectures, number of courses (cambridge and master classes), run a maths club at school =p (cos im cool), help out lower school classes etc. And a few things not maths related.

And im stocking up on maths reading for the summer, im working through the lighter stuff atm , fermat/music of the primes etc etc.

And hey everyone =D

Welcome to the thread, can't believe how amazing everyones gcse's are compared to me. Ive been looking for maths lectures everywhere, how would i go about becoming a member of royal institute?
Reply 52
Welcome to the thread, can't believe how amazing everyones gcse's are compared to me. Ive been looking for maths lectures everywhere, how would i go about becoming a member of royal institute?

aha I did get a C =p and if you google 'Ri' it directs you to their website and its like £15 a year and you get quite a few of their lectures free (its in london), i joined because i went to their masterclasses a few yrs back (like 6 saturdays lol)and really enjoyed it. =D hope that helps.
GCSE: 9A* 5A
AS Levels: Maths (396/400), Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics (no physics)
(G100) Oxbridge (maybe sidney sussex or emmanuel, or one of the central ones if i apply to oxford), Imperial, Bristol, 2 from King's, UCL, Manchester, LSE. Not warwick, not a fan of fields.
Preparation: not done anything yet, i will start looking at some STEP I papers soon though
aha I did get a C =p and if you google 'Ri' it directs you to their website and its like £15 a year and you get quite a few of their lectures free (its in london), i joined because i went to their masterclasses a few yrs back (like 6 saturdays lol)and really enjoyed it. =D hope that helps.

Ok thanks, are there many lectures between now and september?
Reply 55
Ok thanks, are there many lectures between now and september?

not heaps i dont think so I think ill go to others around london tbh, ive been going to them for a few years now and the maths ones arnt that frequent.
not heaps i dont think so I think ill go to others around london tbh, ive been going to them for a few years now and the maths ones arnt that frequent.

hmm, i suppose science lectures are just as useful - is that the right membership http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000004531 and where else does maths lectures?
Reply 57
hmm, i suppose science lectures are just as useful - is that the right membership http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000004531 and where else does maths lectures?

thats the one and I presume unis etc, im going to look into it after as'.
Reply 58
Yes, I'll be applying to Oxford, Warwick, Bath and possibly Bristol and Imperial. In my GSCEs I attained 8A*s and 3As. I did AS maths and further maths last year so this year I am doing A2 maths and further maths, as well as additional maths, physics and chemistry.
As for other kinds of preparation I've been practising step papers with my teachers since early last year. I've read several books surrounding the topics (my favourite has to be Fermat's last theorem). And I have attended several lectures, also I have built up a lot of work experience in accounting, as well as by tutoring in and outside of school. Oh, and finally before I decided I wanted to do maths, as I still had a keen interest in the subject, the head of maths was teaching me (alongside a PGCE student, who was doing an open university course) some of open university mathematics course (It was this that made me realise i wanted to do maths)

I must say, I am really looking forward to being surrounded by competent mathematicians, instead of the dribbling imbeciles that surround me at the moment. :smile:
Original post by Hoody93
Yes, I'll be applying to Oxford, Warwick, Bath and possibly Bristol and Imperial. In my GSCEs I attained 8A*s and 3As. I did AS maths and further maths last year so this year I am doing A2 maths and further maths, as well as additional maths, physics and chemistry.
As for other kinds of preparation I've been practising step papers with my teachers since early last year. I've read several books surrounding the topics (my favourite has to be Fermat's last theorem). And I have attended several lectures, also I have built up a lot of work experience in accounting, as well as by tutoring in and outside of school. Oh, and finally before I decided I wanted to do maths, as I still had a keen interest in the subject, the head of maths was teaching me (alongside a PGCE student, who was doing an open university course) some of open university mathematics course (It was this that made me realise i wanted to do maths)

I must say, I am really looking forward to being surrounded by competent mathematicians, instead of the dribbling imbeciles that surround me at the moment. :smile:

Nice to see this thread growing.

Just got the princeton companion to mathematics. It's pretty damn awesome.

Anyone seen any good problems recently?

Latest