Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiggix)
    So, having now officially come through the UCAS 2011 cycle with zero offers I am starting to contemplate the hidious task of reapplying for 2012 entry.

I figure I will always regret settling for something like Biomedical Sciences (applying through UCAS Extra or clearing) after only giving medicine one shot.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Where did you apply previously? Where are you considering for next year? Do tell.

As I couldn't find a thread for this topic, figured I'd start one.
    OP you have fantastic grades and predictions so just make sure you work hard to fulfill your prediction. Really plan out your GAP year so it has a clear structure- there are many opportunities for volunteering in medical settings abroad on placements if that interests you. Personally I wouldn't have wasted an application to Bristol- they are the most competitive med school in the country and their admissions system is rather hit+miss.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Predicted higher results: AAAAA
    Prelim results: AAABB (1 Mark off for English, 4 marks or History)

Applied to: Glasgow (first choice, post-interview rejection)
    Dundee (second choice, post-interview rejection)
    Edinburgh (rejection)
    Liverpool (rejection)

I think it seriously harmed my application that I didn't have work experience, so when I get my feedback I'll follow through what they say.

Also, INTERVIEW PRACTISE. I get so nervous
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ...same story 4 Rejections.

What are your plans...reapply?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gap year for me now
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    garlic bread man, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO............................. ................................ .........................

Do you want me to march into Aberdeen admissions and give them a karate chop for rejecting you.

Or we could just tuck into garlic bread or something. You is paying though. Lol.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did your parents take it? Were they upset?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    ok This is my new thread for the next year!!!!!!! omg a year!!!!
    Welcome. By the way, I agree about your views regarding english people taking scottish places.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lool, I'm with Beska here, you'll never live up to the 2011 re-applicants
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    :ninja: Subscribes :ninja:

I don't care that I won't be a re-applicant any more as of September.. I still have the right to be here on this thread :smug:

You lot have some big shoes to fill if you want to be acknowledged as TSR re-applicants
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the answer to any of these questions.../

how you go about getting a job as a healthcare assistant?

Would a GP surgery take on a gap year student to work as a healthcare assistant?

Do you need any kind of qualification?

...If you guys have any answers please let me know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    OP you have fantastic grades and predictions so just make sure you work hard to fulfill your prediction. Really plan out your GAP year so it has a clear structure- there are many opportunities for volunteering in medical settings abroad on placements if that interests you.
    Personally I wouldn't have wasted an application to Bristol- they are the most competitive med school in the country and their admissions system is rather hit+miss.
    I would LOVE to do some overseas work, I've done a bit of research, but it's ridiculously expensive, even if you get a charity bursary. So I don't think it's going to be an option sadly. I've already lined up some more voluntary work in the UK though. Any other advice on work exp.? I'm finding it impossible to secure a hospital placement!

And as for Bristol - words of wisdom. It's not a mistake I'll be repeating!
    Thanks for the feedback.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artaa)
    ...same story 4 Rejections.

What are your plans...reapply?
    Yep, sadly.
    I briefly considered going in through UCAS Extra for something like biomed or biochem, but it's just not what I want to do. I think I'd be selling myself short not to give medicine at least one more shot.
    You?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm subscribing to this one - probably be me as well soon

I don't want to give up yet, but I've got to be realistic! Gap medics sounds like it would be amazing - but its just too expensive... Don't think I could save up enough money to do it really.

Probably going to try and get a HCA job, or even ward clerk or porter or anything really. As long as I'm in the hospital/care homes its experience.

Ahh its scary I don't want all my friends to march off and leave me or have to live at home anymore. But medicine is worth it, so thats the way its going to be
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    :ninja: Subscribes :ninja:

I don't care that I won't be a re-applicant any more as of September.. I still have the right to be here on this thread :smug:

You lot have some big shoes to fill if you want to be acknowledged as TSR re-applicants
    Big shoes, but we can handle it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here this year...
    May as well start with a shread of optomism

Hello all
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Big shoes, but we can handle it
    We'll see

Now for this thread to count as a re-apps thread it seems there has to be at least one sex-obsessed person.. who will be this person? :eyeball:
    For the record our sex-obsessed person is dmz
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    We'll see

Now for this thread to count as a re-apps thread it seems there has to be at least one sex-obsessed person.. who will be this person? :eyeball:
    :yucky:

We don't want no sexiness on here! :sexface:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    We'll see

Well, I like sex, but I don't think I could volunteer to be the sex representative of a thread...

Anyone else prepared to volunteer?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I like sex, but I don't think I could volunteer to be the sex representative of a thread...

I think one of the mums [child bearing women] who have been lurking on the Aberdeen thread should volunteer. After all, they will be experienced
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    :yucky:

We don't want no sexiness on here! :sexface:
    But how do you plan on staying sane??

Need something to entertain yourselves on a gap year.. they can get a bit boring and sex talk makes things so much more interesting :sexface:
    For proof have a look at our thread and see if you agree

You, my lady, have made a good first impression on me :hubba:

Do well in your UKCAT, apply to Barts and the London, get in, then as a second year I could taint you freshers :hubba:

No? :getmecoat:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.