Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    Does anyone know if student finance take into account siblings at uni? Me and my brother are both starting in September on the minimum loan so parents are expected to contribute a fair bit cause of the two of us. And in two years time my there will be three of us all at uni so it'll only get worse. I've heard rumours that they do but I'm not sure, does anyone here know?
    I think on the application it did ask whether I had any siblings in Higher Education but notmsure if you put yes how much it would help.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingbradley6)
    I think on the application it did ask whether I had any siblings in Higher Education but notmsure if you put yes how much it would help.
    Ah right thank you It probably won't help me but I'll look into it more, I just haven't seen anything on the website and wondered.

I must say, I like your sig
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    Does anyone know if student finance take into account siblings at uni? Me and my brother are both starting in September on the minimum loan so parents are expected to contribute a fair bit cause of the two of us. And in two years time my there will be three of us all at uni so it'll only get worse. I've heard rumours that they do but I'm not sure, does anyone here know?
    Yeh, I'm not sure about the specifics because mines is through SAAS (the scottish equivalent) but the way it works with me, is that the "parental contribution" is divided by how ever many children are at university. Your total loan amount is the max loan subtract the parental contribution. So for example, if depending your family's income the parental contribution was £2000, but there are two children at university, the effective parental contribution would be £1000 for each child. So you would be able to borrow the max loan subtract £1000, rather than the max loan subtract £2000.....if that makes sense
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but i'm a reapplicant. I sort of fell off the radar a few months ago and stopped posting here, but i followed this thread to about the end of 2011

Just had a look through the past few pages and it's really good to see some of the people i remember now have offers and will be medical students in September. Congrats to you guys :cool:

Unfortunately i'm not going to be one of them though, i've got all medicine rejections now, but hey at least i have 2 Biomed offers (UEA offered me biomed after rejecting me for medicine).

So the question now is, which to accept... Newcastle or UEA for biomed? Which one would you guys go for?

I'm still really keen to medicine at some point though. Does anyone know much about postgraduate finance for a medicine degree?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Taz-)
    Hi everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but i'm a reapplicant. I sort of fell off the radar a few months ago and stopped posting here, but i followed this thread to about the end of 2011

Just had a look through the past few pages and it's really good to see some of the people i remember now have offers and will be medical students in September. Congrats to you guys :cool:

Unfortunately i'm not going to be one of them though, i've got all medicine rejections now, but hey at least i have 2 Biomed offers (UEA offered me biomed after rejecting me for medicine).

So the question now is, which to accept... Newcastle or UEA for biomed? Which one would you guys go for?

I'm still really keen to medicine at some point though. Does anyone know much about postgraduate finance for a medicine degree?
    -I remember you
    -I don't have any Medicine offers either
    -Both of the unis are great, have you looked at course content? (They'll be similar but maybe some topics seem...nicer? )
    -Newcastle=Party hard! not got a clue on UEA though :/
    -postgrad- Try your damn hardest to get your 1st degree and just apply to GEM! The financing is set to change soon so by the time we finish our degrees it will be changed :/
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    so what is everyone doing next year then?
    sorry to those who didnt get in any of you trying again?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Taz-)

Hey, sorry, i'm no-where near a re-applicant, a current year 12 actually but just wanted to point out that Newcastle might let you transfer at the end of your first year of Biomed to medicine...? (Thats what I thought i read anyway, don't quote me on it, i may have just made that up!)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    -I remember you
    -I don't have any Medicine offers either
    -Both of the unis are great, have you looked at course content? (They'll be similar but maybe some topics seem...nicer? )
    -Newcastle=Party hard! not got a clue on UEA though :/
    -postgrad- Try your damn hardest to get your 1st degree and just apply to GEM! The financing is set to change soon so by the time we finish our degrees it will be changed :/
    I remember you too :nutcase:

It sucks to hear that Where do you see yourself going from here?

Yeah, i've had a fair look at both courses, i think i prefer Newcastles. And haha no, i'm not really a partyer - don't drink for starters

Really? What's changing with the finance? From what i've sort of seen so far (and i have to be honest - i've not done that much research into it yet) you have to fund your second degree yourself. Which would mean working a hell of a lot during my first course, no way do me or my parents have enough for even one year of fees
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Hey, sorry, i'm no-where near a re-applicant, a current year 12 actually but just wanted to point out that Newcastle might let you transfer at the end of your first year of Biomed to medicine...? (Thats what I thought i read anyway, don't quote me on it, i may have just made that up!)
    Yup, that's one of the biggest reasons for choosing Newcastle over East Anglia. The possibility that i could transfer to my preferred course after a year

Thanks for bringing it up, i'm sure there are people who may not be aware of that internal transfer. Definitely something for any Year 12's poking around here to consider if/when applying for medicine - Newcastle for biomed is a pretty good 5th choice
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK i'm itching to put Newcastle (for biomed) as my firm choice

Is there anything i should check or make sure before i do so?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    So yeah yesterday I was just minding my own business at work, doing worky things, and a patient put poo on my face. Poo.

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING

OH and it was diarrhoea. Haha
    hahaha what??
    how does that even happen
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So yeah yesterday I was just minding my own business at work, doing worky things, and a patient put poo on my face. Poo.

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING

ahhhhhhhhhh thats horrible.

haha please tell me it wasn't C.Diff poo, that would just be the worst thing ever.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:

I must admit that I did laugh at this.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Taz-)

CHeck if Newcastle is awesome: it is :sexface:
    Be sure that you could handle not gettin into medicine in the first year and the fact the course isn't actually accredited with the biomedical... People council thing

And after that, PARTY HARD IN GEORDIE LAND
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING!
    Well... **** happens!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    CHeck if Newcastle is awesome: it is :sexface:
    Be sure that you could handle not gettin into medicine in the first year and the fact the course isn't actually accredited with the biomedical... People council thing

And after that, PARTY HARD IN GEORDIE LAND
    Do you think the course not being accredited could hurt my chances if i were to apply for graduate-entry medicine?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING!
    how was the taste?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Taz-)

(Original post by -Taz-)
    Do you think the course not being accredited could hurt my chances if i were to apply for graduate-entry medicine?
    it is accredited...download the link for courses accredited and newcastle is listed.

http://www.ibms.org/go/education-dev...t/ibms-courses
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    it is accredited...download the link for courses accredited and newcastle is listed.

http://www.ibms.org/go/education-dev...t/ibms-courses
    Just checked, it says Newcastle in the city column but its referring to Northumbria university
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Taz-)
    Just checked, it says Newcastle in the city column but its referring to Northumbria university
    oops never noticed that sorry. Strange that Newcastle wouldn't be accredited.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.