The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
I want to reapply, but I'm just worried because my GCSEs are 1A* 9A's 1B, but I still got two interviews this year was rejected post-interview. But, I'm worried because now this year I think there will be more competition.

Do you guys still think I should take the gap year? Or will my GCSEs not suffice this year?

Take a gap year :smile: I got the same GCSEs as you and I have two offers this year compared with none last year :biggrin: :smile:.
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Take a gap year :smile: I got the same GCSEs as you and I have two offers this year compared with none last year :biggrin: :smile:.

Wow, congrats on your offers!! :biggrin: What unis? and which one are you going to firm? :tongue:

Yes, I'm definitely thinking of taking a gap year now, I mean I still got two interviews this time, but obviously there must be something wrong with interview technique. :s-smilie:
How comes you had none last year? what was different from this time to last time?
Also also, just want to ask, since I'll be reapplying, but I am doing some resits now in June for some of A2 modules that I did in January, will that affect my application when I reapply? I mean by then you have your grades already , so would the A2 module resits have hinder my application?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but since you've been through all of this already...:tongue: But, seriously, congrats! xD This definitely gives me hope!
Wow, congrats on your offers!! :biggrin: What unis? and which one are you going to firm? :tongue:

Yes, I'm definitely thinking of taking a gap year now, I mean I still got two interviews this time, but obviously there must be something wrong with interview technique. :s-smilie:
How comes you had none last year? what was different from this time to last time?
Also also, just want to ask, since I'll be reapplying, but I am doing some resits now in June for some of A2 modules that I did in January, will that affect my application when I reapply? I mean by then you have your grades already , so would the A2 module resits have hinder my application?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but since you've been through all of this already...:tongue: But, seriously, congrats! xD This definitely gives me hope!

Awesome :smile: I got three interviews last year and didn't get any offers. As I look back I think I put too too much pressure on myself to do well in the interviews so I didn't express myself as fluently as possible, leading to the rejections. I think the gap year has also genuinely boosted my independence in a way that wasn't possible in a structured environment like a school.

I have offers from HYMS and Lancaster but was rejected post interview from BSMS and pre itnerview from Leicester :smile:. I have firmed HYMS which is a big relief as you will find out next year :wink:.

The resits may hinder your application to a few Universities but a vast number of them accept resits so you should be ok. As always, be aware of entry criteria :smile: (wiki pages here are useful for that kind of research).

Thanks for your kind words and good luck! Feel free to quote me if you have any more questions :wink: :smile:.
Hey guys, this is a question for anybody who can help me really.

Whenever you speak to reapplicants they always say that you will do better in the ukcat second time round. Why is this? Do they do something different? I'm really anxious that I'm going to get a lower score and get nowhere again...

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Awesome :smile: I got three interviews last year and didn't get any offers. As I look back I think I put too too much pressure on myself to do well in the interviews so I didn't express myself as fluently as possible, leading to the rejections. I think the gap year has also genuinely boosted my independence in a way that wasn't possible in a structured environment like a school.

I have offers from HYMS and Lancaster but was rejected post interview from BSMS and pre itnerview from Leicester :smile:. I have firmed HYMS which is a big relief as you will find out next year :wink:.

The resits may hinder your application to a few Universities but a vast number of them accept resits so you should be ok. As always, be aware of entry criteria :smile: (wiki pages here are useful for that kind of research).

Thanks for your kind words and good luck! Feel free to quote me if you have any more questions :wink: :smile:.

What are your GCSEs and UKCAT for HYMS? I will be applying there next year, should grades permit
I'll make myself at home on this thread :ninja:
Reply 106
Original post by platty1907

Whenever you speak to reapplicants they always say that you will do better in the ukcat second time round. Why is this? Do they do something different? I'm really anxious that I'm going to get a lower score and get nowhere again...

Thanks

You get more used to the format, you know your weakness and what to practice/revise

Tbf, you had a good score this year. You should gave made use of your score... would have got you 4 interviews, if you get the same, or more likely a better score, you have a great chance if getting in.. defo get feedback on your interviews too :h:

Thanks

Not always the case :fyi: I tried revising a month earlier the second time round compared to the 4 hours for the first time :ninja: and I only improved it by 10 scores :ahee:

:emo:
Reply 108
I think its helpful for the UKCAT to spend time developing a strategy for each section which suits you :yep:
Original post by haleem
You get more used to the format, you know your weakness and what to practice/revise

Tbf, you had a good score this year. You should gave made use of your score... would have got you 4 interviews, if you get the same, or more likely a better score, you have a great chance if getting in.. defo get feedback on your interviews too :h:

I was quite pleased with my score this year tbh, i wouldnt be complaining if i got the same. I just felt that it was just a little to low for those UKCAT crazy unis (ie. Sheffield, Newcastle etc) and that I would have needed 700+. Hopefully, being in a community like this for next time might help me make better choices. Which unis would you say suited my UKCAT score the most?

Really appreciate the feedback :smile:
Reply 110
I was quite pleased with my score this year tbh, i wouldnt be complaining if i got the same. I just felt that it was just a little to low for those UKCAT crazy unis (ie. Sheffield, Newcastle etc) and that I would have needed 700+. Hopefully, being in a community like this for next time might help me make better choices. Which unis would you say suited my UKCAT score the most?

Really appreciate the feedback :smile:

This year, you would have gotten interviews at barts, Newcastle, Manchester, peninsula and Glasgow...not Sheffield though...

Don't worry, I'm sure you will get an even better score, stick on hear, apply sensibly and do lots of interview prep - you will have loads of time to do so on your gap year...

And get the grades if you haven't got them already
Original post by dmz
so am i :colonhash: if it falls to pot I'm going to Malta. Working in a hospital for next 2/3yrs should give me some edge. Already about 2/3 uni who have preference for subjects I'm not doing,

Malta would be naiiiice :sexface:
Though expensive :unsure:
Ahh okay, thank you :smile: Do you think I should apply to Imperial though with my GCSE's? because they're mostly concerned with your BMAT score to offer you an interview, right? Anyways, making university choices is far away yet, need to well in exams to even be eligible for reapplying. :tongue: Well, I got feedback from St.Georges why I got rejected post-interview, but they just gave general comments due to their interviewing style [the MMI] and now need to get feedback from Liverpool.

And congrats on your offer! :biggrin:

Edit: Just looked at your 2010 and 2011 profile. Just curious, why did you get rejected from Hull/Sheffield/Keele in the 2011 cycle? I mean what feedback did you get for those? was it your GCSE's? Sorry, if you think I'm being nosy! :P

I don't know anything about Imperial I'm afraid.. I avoided BMAT uni's like the plague :colone:
Yeah.. feedback isn't always helpful :erm:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Ahh reasons..
HYMS: no feedback, but assuming they didn't like my PS
Keele: Numbers.. 2700 applicants for 480 interviews :rolleyes:
Sheffield: Only uni to ever give decent feedback imo, they thought I did well with academics, and liked my PS, but they felt other people had written better ones. Also they said that I could have spent more time demonstrating my commitment to caring and reflecting on work experience :h:

And don't worry about feeling nosy.. I don't mind and I put it up on here anyway :penguinhug:
Original post by garlicbreadman
My mum is saying that it is a waste of a year, I don't really know she doesn't seem too happy, but I have explained a gap year is the best option.
The most daunting thing for me is having to sit the UKCAT again, I remember averaging my results and I literally felt my heart sinking as it was too low for me to apply to my first choice :frown:

My mum said the same until I managed an offer despite explaining on countless occasions that it was the best option. :laugh: I was also the same as far as the UKCAT went - I got 600 last year, bang on average. :nothing:

Here I am though, a year later with a better application outside academia and I start med school come September! Concentrate on your A-levels for now but once those are done, you're set. You're in a better position as you know the rules of the game far better, naturally making you a better player. Good luck. :awesome:
Reply 113
this is totalllly unrelated but how do u start a
thread ?
Original post by haleem
This year, you would have gotten interviews at barts, Newcastle, Manchester, peninsula and Glasgow...not Sheffield though...

Don't worry, I'm sure you will get an even better score, stick on hear, apply sensibly and do lots of interview prep - you will have loads of time to do so on your gap year...

And get the grades if you haven't got them already

Are those unis you listed ones that really like ukcat? and do they use a strict cut off? And do you know what any of them were this year? ooo and also do they just use ukcat to select interviewees?

Really sorry for bombarding you with questions like this, its just nice to get all this inside info :smile: You're probably best listing your answers to avoid confusion :P
Original post by kibbles
Does anyone know if there are any medical schools which don't accept reapplicants on the A100 course?

There best not be any which don't. :colonhash: For we are clearly far greater than the first timers. :plz2:
Reply 116
Are those unis you listed ones that really like ukcat? and do they use a strict cut off? And do you know what any of them were this year? ooo and also do they just use ukcat to select interviewees?

Really sorry for bombarding you with questions like this, its just nice to get all this inside info :smile: You're probably best listing your answers to avoid confusion :P

Yup..

Pretty much, as long as you meet all other academic requirements! Manchester also use your PS briefly, pretty sure its only to see if it is okay, because they do love their UKCAT!

Barts cut off was 612.5 in 09, 665 last year and 635 this year

Manchester was 645 last year iirc, this year I'm not sure, but I think people with your score did get interviews...

I think PMS was 625 last year, 642.5 this year...apparently they have individual section cut offs, doubt they will reject you unless you get something like 400 in one of the sections!

Newcastle was 650 last year, 672.5 this year I think!

Glasgow was 652.5 this year, and something slightly lower last year

Sheffield are stupid... cut off was 717.5 thus year, but they use your ps and academics quite a lot too....AVOID!

They are strict cut offs, as long as you meet it you get an interview, and from then on your interview performance is all that matters!
Reply 117
I'm planning on reapplying :smile: And I'm absolutely, 100% determined to make me gap year as productive as possible and really have an awesome application ready for 2012!

I've only one concern, which hopefully you guys can help me with. With a LOT of work I should be able to get AAA in my A levels (In Chemistry, Biology and Maths) and that's cool because, aside from oxbridge and the other 'top' universities, AAA is pretty much the general entry requirement.

However, considering how tough it's been this year, do you think that I will even have a realistic application with AAA? So many candidates seem to have at least one A* and I sure as hell won't be able to achieve that. When it comes down to grades, A* trumps A everytime...

So, if I achieve AAA is it definitely worth reapplying? Medicine is all I've ever wanted to do.
Original post by haleem
Yup..

Pretty much, as long as you meet all other academic requirements! Manchester also use your PS briefly, pretty sure its only to see if it is okay, because they do love their UKCAT!

Barts cut off was 612.5 in 09, 665 last year and 635 this year

Manchester was 645 last year iirc, this year I'm not sure, but I think people with your score did get interviews...

I think PMS was 625 last year, 642.5 this year...apparently they have individual section cut offs, doubt they will reject you unless you get something like 400 in one of the sections!

Newcastle was 650 last year, 672.5 this year I think!

Glasgow was 652.5 this year, and something slightly lower last year

Sheffield are stupid... cut off was 717.5 thus year, but they use your ps and academics quite a lot too....AVOID!

They are strict cut offs, as long as you meet it you get an interview, and from then on your interview performance is all that matters!

Thank you soooo much!!! :smile:
Its just a pain that you dont know what the cut off is going to be!
My plan will be try my hardest to beat my previous score and then I shouldnt be too concerned with cut offs as long as I dont go near Sheffield

Sound ok?
Reply 119
Original post by MJHERBZ
I'm planning on reapplying :smile: And I'm absolutely, 100% determined to make me gap year as productive as possible and really have an awesome application ready for 2012!

I've only one concern, which hopefully you guys can help me with. With a LOT of work I should be able to get AAA in my A levels (In Chemistry, Biology and Maths) and that's cool because, aside from oxbridge and the other 'top' universities, AAA is pretty much the general entry requirement.

However, considering how tough it's been this year, do you think that I will even have a realistic application with AAA? So many candidates seem to have at least one A* and I sure as hell won't be able to achieve that. When it comes down to grades, A* trumps A everytime...

So, if I achieve AAA is it definitely worth reapplying? Medicine is all I've ever wanted to do.

AAA is fine, they won't even look at your grades any longer as long as you meet the requirements!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending