The Student Room Group

Pharmacy careers and other useful information

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone here know anything about the pharmacy prescribing course?
Reply 61
Hello everyone,
I've been reading some news articles and blogs written by pharmacists and the majority of them seem to portray a very negative view of the profession. This is just one example.
http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news-content/-/article_display_list/13859724/most-community-pharmacists-would-not-recommend-career-in-the-sector
I have been seriously considering studying pharmacy for a long time, and so it is comes as a rather nasty surprise to read such things.
Can any pharmacy students or pharmacists confirm whether or not it is true that pharmacy is an unpleasant career? (E.g. is it actually rewarding or do you not feel as though you've helped anyone? Are you respected by your colleagues or seen as a burden? Is the job very tasking or relatively easygoing?)

Thank you.
Reply 62
Original post by aldanyh
Hello everyone,
I've been reading some news articles and blogs written by pharmacists and the majority of them seem to portray a very negative view of the profession. This is just one example.
http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news-content/-/article_display_list/13859724/most-community-pharmacists-would-not-recommend-career-in-the-sector
I have been seriously considering studying pharmacy for a long time, and so it is comes as a rather nasty surprise to read such things.
Can any pharmacy students or pharmacists confirm whether or not it is true that pharmacy is an unpleasant career? (E.g. is it actually rewarding or do you not feel as though you've helped anyone? Are you respected by your colleagues or seen as a burden? Is the job very tasking or relatively easygoing?)

Thank you.

Im an employed pharmacist and if you are still considering pharmacy I would think again. The job market is worse now than ever before.
Original post by aldanyh
Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Well I am currently studying pharmacy so I will try to give some insight from my personal experience. First of all pharmacy is difficult. There's a lot more to it than people think. During my studies I have met a lot of students who started the course thinking it was easy but in the end they dropped out. Second in the economy that we live right now getting a job is very difficult in every field not only pharmacy. (I have friends who have graduated from med school and dental school and they haven't been able to lend jobs). It also depends in what aspect of pharmacy you are interested in. Working in a community pharmacy isn't the only possibility of employment. There are people who are more business oriented and therefore want to work in a community pharmacy or possibly even own one of their own( depends from the country you come from of course) or you have the people who are more science oriented. They end up getting Phds in a specific field go on and work as researchers and why not you can end up teaching as a professor as well. My parents are pharmacists and they have enjoyed being one. They have a lot of patients who come regularly for consultations regarding their medicine. There were patients who actually claimed they trusted the pharmacists more than they did their doctors in some cases. It all depends how much effort you're willing to put. I have personally enjoyed studying pharmacy and I definitely don't regret it. I am looking forward to the next plans awaiting for me. If pharmacy is something you really want then by all means go for it. Good luck and I hope everything ends well for you
Hi,
I was wondering. Now that pharmacy schools have capped the number of graduates, does this mean in the future it is likely to become less saturated. I really want to study pharmacy but i am just worried :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nathybridgey
Hi,
I was wondering. Now that pharmacy schools have capped the number of graduates, does this mean in the future it is likely to become less saturated. I really want to study pharmacy but i am just worried :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who said that? There was a movement by the profession to try and cap student numbers like with Medicine and Dentistry, but this was rejected by parliament.

You'll be fine in terms of getting into university, afterwards on the other hand... :rolleyes:
Original post by thegodofgod
who said that? There was a movement by the profession to try and cap student numbers like with medicine and dentistry, but this was rejected by parliament.

You'll be fine in terms of getting into university, afterwards on the other hand... :rolleyes:

you applied for any summer placements yet?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
you applied for any summer placements yet?

I've already been invited to work at the pharmacy I worked at last summer. I've applied to several hospitals around the Greater London area, but haven't had any responses yet. Also asked my personal tutor at university to work as a research assistant in her lab over the summer, we're just trying to look for some funding opportunities at the moment.

How about you?
I've already been invited to work at the pharmacy I worked at last summer. I've applied to several hospitals around the Greater London area, but haven't had any responses yet. Also asked my personal tutor at university to work as a research assistant in her lab over the summer, we're just trying to look for some funding opportunities at the moment.

How about you?
I want to learn to drive.so I want to stay at home and learn to do that.so I didnt apply for boots/lloyds this year.plus I wana travel for a few weeks on hols with the gf.
Id have a decent chance at getting the local hospital again.reminds me I need to apply.
been off the ball and havent appply for hospital placements in england.hopefully its not too late!:O....
gonna pop around to local pharmacies and try my best to get work.hopefully il do best than last year!

how the course treating yeh:?
I want to learn to drive.so I want to stay at home and learn to do that.so I didnt apply for boots/lloyds this year.plus I wana travel for a few weeks on hols with the gf.
Id have a decent chance at getting the local hospital again.reminds me I need to apply.
been off the ball and havent appply for hospital placements in england.hopefully its not too late!:O....
gonna pop around to local pharmacies and try my best to get work.hopefully il do best than last year!

how the course treating yeh:?

Oh nice, being able to drive is a pretty awesome feeling :awesome:

Sweet, any ideas on where you might go?

It should still be okay to apply to less competitive hospitals :yy:
Oh nice, being able to drive is a pretty awesome feeling :awesome:

Sweet, any ideas on where you might go?

It should still be okay to apply to less competitive hospitals :yy:

damm you people who can already drive:tongue: if i couldnt already id have not stayed at home

europe probably so should be grand.you doing anything fun yourself?

fair enough.think I might stay at my local even if its irish and not uk anyways...save a good bit of money alright

might apply to others just in case and try to get pharmacy job at home.

glad you keeping well prick
damm you people who can already drive:tongue: if i couldnt already id have not stayed at home

europe probably so should be grand.you doing anything fun yourself?

fair enough.think I might stay at my local even if its irish and not uk anyways...save a good bit of money alright

might apply to others just in case and try to get pharmacy job at home.

glad you keeping well prick

Yeah, at least I'm not a busw*nker! :wink:

Nice, inter-railing, or staying put in a city? Not certain, somewhere in Europe seems likely with mates for me too.

Yeah, staying there would save you quite a bit.

You too, you drunk leprechaun, you! :tongue:
Yeah, at least I'm not a busw*nker! :wink:

Nice, inter-railing, or staying put in a city? Not certain, somewhere in Europe seems likely with mates for me too.

Yeah, staying there would save you quite a bit.

You too, you drunk leprechaun, you! :tongue:
haha train ****** actually...were much more of a sophisticated kind

tbh money is tight so well see..might even head to singapore as theyre'd be free accommodation with the gf there!nice one so staying put for you then? any location in mind?

yeh.3rd year im defo applying for fecking everything.but for now happy to get local stuff (if I can) as it saves a bomb personally. placement went well today.he said hed be in touch for a weekend job.yesh! think he reckons il be staying up here for summer though...which is meh.

haha nevermind me being a drunk leprechaun lets see you! we should share a few pints sometime!
Reply 73
Just thought I'd add a resource of my own - a semi-shameless plug that actually has information relevant as of June 2015. Salary data, job listings and blog posts on what careers a degree in Pharmacy can open up for you.

http://pharmacistsalaryguide.com/

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to see any more content on the site - ideas are always greatly appreciated!
Anyone know how I can secure a pharmacy summer job either in a community, industry or hospital setting? I'll be starting my second year this academic year.
Reply 75
Original post by Apothecary

I have been a registered pharmacist in the UK for over ten years. I have worked within hospital, industry and am now a self employed locum in retail.

If you want to know what the job of a pharmacist is really like, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks

Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked before but were do you see the pharmacy industry in 10 years do you see the wage falling because of oversupply?

Also what are the advancement opportunities like? like how difficult is it to move up the ladder in a establishment.

Lastly I wanted to ask do you think privatisation of nhs will mean less pharmacist jobs out there?
Original post by jay hants
Im an employed pharmacist and if you are still considering pharmacy I would think again. The job market is worse now than ever before.

I would second that. Locum pharmacy rates as low as £15/16 an hour in some places. Have been frozen since 2008 at around £22/23 and also falling. You are lucky these days if you can get a rate per hr starting with a 2 ! And those are in mega busy places doing 400/500/600 items plus per day!
Does it matter which university you get your MPharm degree from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending