The Student Room Group

Higher Subject Choices 2006/07

Wasn't sure where to post this but erm seemed like it should go here so sorry if it's not meant to be here!

Basically, our school is asking us to start seriously considering what subejcts we would like to do next year and I have no idea. All I know is that I definitely want to drop physics and wouldn't like to take Chemistry. My current SG subjects are Maths, French, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Business Management, Music and I've started the Higher English course as we get two years for that at my school.

So, is there anyone else out there in the same position as me?

If you're thinking about our subjects after you SG's reply to this please, and if there are any other people out there willing to reply with advice and good subjects combos then they'd be most welcome!

Thanks in advance, Jilly xxx :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If your picking highers its a good idea to have a rough idea of what your aiming at doing once you have left school. For example the need for Biology/chemistry/physics/maths for medicine, dentistry or vet. science. The best advice I can give you is do a subject you like and are good at, don't do anything because you think it will make you look smart.
Reply 2
I have no idea what I'd like to do after school... I don't wanna do medicine/dentistry/vet. med or really any type of science course.
I'm not very good at the two sciences I do [Chemistry and Physics] and I'm predicted 2 3's in them come next year...

I'd love to do English, Maths, Geography, Business Management and Music but I just don't know if this is a good subject combination or :confused: ...

*wanders out thread*
Reply 3
Jillee
I have no idea what I'd like to do after school... I don't wanna do medicine/dentistry/vet. med or really any type of science course.
I'm not very good at the two sciences I do [Chemistry and Physics] and I'm predicted 2 3's in them come next year...

I'd love to do English, Maths, Geography, Business Management and Music but I just don't know if this is a good subject combination or :confused: ...

*wanders out thread*

That's a fine subject combination, considering it's quite a broad range of subject categories and you haven't decided what you want to do yet. You've still got plenty of time to decide what you want to do and your highers will be key to figuring it out.
Reply 4
Do try and have a think about vague areas you would like to go in, even if it's not very specific.
Do pick subjects you enjoy and are reasonably good at.
Higher Geography rocks! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hi, im taking phy,chem,bio,eng,math. basically take whatever you like, and are good at
Reply 6
I'd quite like to do teaching maybe but I don't know... hmm...
Reply 7
Secondary or primary? If secondary you will need that subject obviously :smile:
If you're still not sure at all, take a reasonable variety of subjects (i.e. not three sciences or three languages),and remember there's always 6th year :smile:
Reply 8
Primary teaching I think! I asked my mum for advice and she said don't take music but :confused: I really enjoy it and am quite good at it so...
If you manage to get a 1 in your chemistry, I would take it to Higher - It's quite well respected. As for music, why not? If you enjoy it and you're good at it then go for it - plus there's always loads of music going on in primary schools :smile:
Reply 10
The thing is... I just don't know whether I can get that 1. I've never got a 1 in a test/ exam before, always 2's but now even that 2 is slipping out of sight :frown:
my dad is head of a teaching department at university and he says that fundamentally yiu MUST have higher english and credit maths the rest of the grades can come from whatever subjects so long as they are reasonably academic.
Reply 12
friendlyneutron
If you manage to get a 1 in your chemistry, I would take it to Higher - It's quite well respected. As for music, why not? If you enjoy it and you're good at it then go for it - plus there's always loads of music going on in primary schools :smile:

Yeah, my chemistry teacher says that if you pass higher chemistry it shows "you have a good head on your shoulders" (i do think that might be slightly biased tho!)

Im doing maths, gaelic, chem, bio and phys this year (all H)

Am planning to do AH chem and maths next year and H psychology
Reply 13
Did 5 Highers last year, English, Maths, French, Physics and Chemistry.

Currently doing Advanced Highers in French and Maths, and a crash Higher Modern Studies. :smile:
Ok i am S4 at the moment, about to pick highers after xmas.

I'm thinking: Maths, eng, bio, chem and german. Keeps my options open for law or medicine :biggrin:
nathanm
Yeah, my chemistry teacher says that if you pass higher chemistry it shows "you have a good head on your shoulders" (i do think that might be slightly biased tho!)

Im doing maths, gaelic, chem, bio and phys this year (all H)

Am planning to do AH chem and maths next year and H psychology

Fileant no neach-ionnsachaidh?
Anyone know if i could do medicine with
Maths, english, chemistry, physics and german, and no biology? I appear to be doing less well in bio at the moment! :p:P
dreamy_girl
Anyone know if i could do medicine with
Maths, english, chemistry, physics and german, and no biology? I appear to be doing less well in bio at the moment! :p:P

It's possible, but medical schools are increasingly preferring biology as a science over physics. I don't mean to sound mean but if you're not coping with standard grade biology, it's a big jump to higher and a monumental one to the standard of bio in med school. But stick in there if you're keen! :smile:
Reply 18
I thought you had to have at least a Higher in Biology or Human Biology to do Medicine.
Reply 19
no, some medical schools don't require you to have biology (like Cam) mainly because it's much easier to pick up than something like chemistry or physics. You would, however, be making life much easier for yourself if you have it.

--------------

I'm having trouble with my higher choices too. I want to do medicine and so am definitely taking maths, english, chemistry, physics, biology, except at the moment, I'm also taking S Grade art and its a subject i really enjoy and feel i have real talent in. For this reason, i want to take higher art too, so might swap it for physics, or, as an alternative, might take 6 highers. Any thoughts?

Latest

Trending

Trending