The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick students

ive firmed warwick for september and i would like to know what the students are like in general.

Specifically sociology students as that is what i will be studying.

i have also heard rumours that the rest of the student population is generally snobbish about sociology and treat you as inferior, is this true?

sorry if this thread has been done before, cba to look through them all.
i'm just interested in the type of people i will be socialsing with lol.
Reply 1
Doing maths, I haven't heard of that kind of thing going on, but probably the best person to answer your question is...

screenager2004
:smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by elli.
ive firmed warwick for september and i would like to know what the students are like in general.

Specifically sociology students as that is what i will be studying.

i have also heard rumours that the rest of the student population is generally snobbish about sociology and treat you as inferior, is this true?

sorry if this thread has been done before, cba to look through them all.
i'm just interested in the type of people i will be socialsing with lol.

Hiya, 2nd year Sociology Student here!

Firstly, No snobbery, or at least I haven't encountered any!

Sometimes science students will joke that arts students have easy courses but they are being friendly, it's not malicious. When they joke at arts students they mean everyone on BA course including English, Film, French, History etc: They don't specifically pick out sociology as being particularly bad!

If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Also thanks ttoby :smile:
I'll be studying soc in Warwick. Slightly off topic I know but I would like to get a flat outside of campus with some more mature students, and sociology students would be even better. By mature I don't necessarily mean older but just not 24hr party people. I'm quite focused and are more interested in getting good grades than getting drunk, not that there is anything wrong with that!

What's the student mentality at Warwick because my local uni isn't so high on the league tables and the majority of students there are more focused on drinking than working, does this really change as the quality of the uni's increase?
Original post by public sociopath
I'll be studying soc in Warwick. Slightly off topic I know but I would like to get a flat outside of campus with some more mature students, and sociology students would be even better. By mature I don't necessarily mean older but just not 24hr party people. I'm quite focused and are more interested in getting good grades than getting drunk, not that there is anything wrong with that!

What's the student mentality at Warwick because my local uni isn't so high on the league tables and the majority of students there are more focused on drinking than working, does this really change as the quality of the uni's increase?

Whatever uni you go to, you'll still be surrounded by 18-22 year olds. Don't expect students at Warwick to be abnormally mature and witty and studious. They're still students, at the end of the day. Thankfully, there's 22,000 of them, so you're bound to find a group you'll get along with.

A lot of students will come across as the party type at first, don't avoid these because they're "immature" because you'll just end up making things difficult for yourself, towards exams and into the second/third years students will calm down.

I've been to Warwick (in the top 5) and Goldsmiths (ranked... 55th or something?) and the students are the same.
Reply 5
Original post by screenager2004
Whatever uni you go to, you'll still be surrounded by 18-22 year olds. Don't expect students at Warwick to be abnormally mature and witty and studious. They're still students, at the end of the day. Thankfully, there's 22,000 of them, so you're bound to find a group you'll get along with.

A lot of students will come across as the party type at first, don't avoid these because they're "immature" because you'll just end up making things difficult for yourself, towards exams and into the second/third years students will calm down.

I've been to Warwick (in the top 5) and Goldsmiths (ranked... 55th or something?) and the students are the same.

I'm abnormally mature and witty and rather studious :frown:
Reply 6
If you're more of a studious type, when you apply for Halls there's usually an option to request living in a 'Quiet Block', so don't worry if that's the case!

Quick Reply

Latest