Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gods and afterlife...

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    That would make atheism a religion in itself.
    It wouldn't. A god could just decide to reward atheist, alone. Doesn't mean I worship him or anything.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, there are some 20 stipulations or rules, called the Confession (or Negative Confession), very much like the 10 commandments which the deceased needed to recite and confess whilst waiting judgement in the Halls of Truth. The heart of the deceased was the witness to the things done or said in the duration of that person's life. If the deceased had done good things he or she would gain eternal life, but if the deceased had done bad things he or she would be thrown into Ammit, which is oblivion. Those who did good things and gained eternal life had escaped the second death. The second death is oblivion, Ammit. Each person desired eternal life and hoped to escape Ammit. For that reason the person would do good things in life and be rewarded for it in the next.

It was Osiris who judged the dead ultimately because he was bound there, and he was Lord of the Two Lands (of Egypt); his only begotten son Horus, the son of the virgin Isis, came to testify to the truth that he was the righteous king to rule Egypt. Anyway, the heart of the deceased was weighed against the lightness of the ostrich feather on the scales of Maat, the goddess who represented justice and righteousness, just like Dike in Greek mythology.

As for Mithras I am not sure what was promised by him, but I read that those who didn't believe in Mithras would await damnation and torture in the afterlife.
    And are these Gods omniscient and omnipotent? Who believes in God would also believe in it's angels of death etc. those angels might have been called Gods because of their certain powers?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    It wouldn't. A god could just decide to reward atheist, alone. Doesn't mean I worship him or anything.
    Why would God reward you if you don't acknowledge him?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because he realizes he hasn't provided any evidence and wants to see who isn't going to acknowledge him? Or because he simply wants to, his God after all.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    for being a good person?

if god sends annoying mouse to hell, i'm writing a letter of complaint.

(this is all assuming annoying mouse isn't a massive rapist who just likes to chill on student forums during the day)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    then again, i can't see a god who sends people to hell rewarding other people for being good. a god who didn't make a hell might. then again, maybe we have a god who just fcking loves eastenders and needed to created a species to produce it. who knows.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    yes, even if he did exist, it still wouldn't be illogical not to believe in him, provided we had no evidence.

just like even if eighth dimension predators exist, it is not illogical not be believe in them because so far, we haven't heard a peep out of them
    It is illogical not to believe in those eigth dimension predators but you would have to give me a definition of them, if they have the same attributes as God in order to have the power to create the universe then what you're ultimately doing is renaming God.

It's not illogical to believe in something which you have no evidence for, the universe was either created by God or not. It's 50/50. If he exists, then he created the universe leading to heaven or hell and if he didn't then something else did but if we die, nothing is going to happen...
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    for being a good person?

if god sends annoying mouse to hell, i'm writing a letter of complaint.

(this is all assuming annoying mouse isn't a massive rapist who just likes to chill on student forums during the day)
    Haha, why can't you be a good person and acknowledge God? leaving religion aside, only the belief of God...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, why can't you be a good person and acknowledge God? leaving religion aside, only the belief of God...
    course you can. same as you can be a good person and reject the idea of god.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's OK because heaven is a personal thing. Nobody will be left out because they follow the wrong religion. A bona fide true believer will die wholly expecting to get into heaven, and because cognition stops when you die, the anticipation is as near to heaven as makes no odds.

There, now everyone's right.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is illogical not to believe in those eigth dimension predators but you would have to give me a definition of them, if they have the same attributes as God in order to have the power to create the universe then what you're ultimately doing is renaming God.

It's not illogical to believe in something which you have no evidence for, the universe was either created by God or not. It's 50/50. If he exists, then he created the universe leading to heaven or hell and if he didn't then something else did but if we die, nothing is going to happen...
    it's illogical not to believe in eighth dimension predators? what? no they don't have the same attributes as god. they're twelve feet tall and look a bit like a hybrid of david cameron and a mosquito.

it's illogical to believe in them, because we have no evidence for them, even though they might exist. just like it would be logical to assume god didn't exist if we had no evidence, even if he actually did.

this is all in response to your post on the last page btw.

also, god's existence isn't 50/50. it's not a case of 'he does or he doesn't'. for example, the chance that my eighth dimension predators existing isn't 50/50, even if there were ancient books on them, and people wanted to believe in them because they cause earthquakes if we don't and if we do they massage us for eternity after we die. and they have really big hands.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because he realizes he hasn't provided any evidence and wants to see who isn't going to acknowledge him? Or because he simply wants to, his God after all.
    He is in fact God after all, but that doesn't make him illogical... you're arguing with illogical statements... first atheists believed nothing is going to happen if they die now they believe they might go to heaven... what next?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's illogical not to believe in eighth dimension predators? what? no they don't have the same attributes as god. they're twelve feet tall and look a bit like a hybrid of david cameron and a mosquito.

it's illogical to believe in them, because we have no evidence for them, even though they might exist. just like it would be logical to assume god didn't exist if we had no evidence, even if he actually did.

this is all in response to your post on the last page btw.

also, god's existence isn't 50/50. it's not a case of 'he does or he doesn't'. for example, the chance that my eighth dimension predators existing isn't 50/50, even if there were ancient books on them, and people wanted to believe in them because they cause earthquakes if we don't and if we do they massage us for eternity after we die. and they have really big hands.
    Well, do these predators have the power to create a universe such as ours?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, do these predators have the power to create a universe such as ours?
    no but they make mean pancakes
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    He is in fact God after all, but that doesn't make him illogical... you're arguing with illogical statements... first atheists believed nothing is going to happen if they die now they believe they might go to heaven... what next?
    No, I am not. Nothing I've said is illogical. No, atheist lack belief in God. Nothing else. Afterlife and all that shiz is up to the individual. An afterlife can exist without God.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    no but they make mean pancakes
    Then it's not neccessary for us to believe in them...
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not. Nothing I've said is illogical. No, atheist lack belief in God. Nothing else. Afterlife and all that shiz is up to the individual. An afterlife can exist without God.
    Who created that afterlife?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who created that afterlife?
    Who created this life?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then it's not neccessary for us to believe in them...
    we weren't talking about necessity, we were talking about logic.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    we weren't talking about necessity, we were talking about logic.
    I know, necessity has a coherence with logic and pascal wager argument.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2011
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.