The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Like to see you 'cruise' and get a 2.1

Up your own ass much?

Easy, tiger. I'm cruising and averaging a first. The entire system is a joke.
Reply 61
Look at our MPs and businessmen. The vast majority of them who have degrees got 2.1's in their degree because it's simply what most people get at university. Those that end up getting 1sts are often the type that stays in academia and goes onto MA and Phd. David Cameron is one of the few people in a prominent position in politics or business that I know got a 1st.

So baw'ing because you didn't get a 1st is ridiculous. Most people don't. It's actually pretty damn hard to get one because of how consistent you have to be. I've had a good few 1st graded essays and a couple overall marks in the 1st range but if you do averagely at one class it torpedoes your whole mark because of the averages they use to calculate university grades.
Reply 62
Why on earth have I been neg repped for my previous comment? :s

Touching on what ajp100688 said; look at some of our successful businessman. One example is the former CEO of Tesco: Sir Terry Leahy; he "only" got a 2:2 in business studies or something like that! That guy is a business mastermind!
Reply 63
Original post by sommatime88
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame. I've heard a lot of people also say that some companies even prefer 2:1's to 1sts as it shows people have both intelligence and personality, wheras 1st's may be squares. Twisted logic and probably bull**** but it makes me feel better that I'm getting a 2:1. Ha. At the end of the day most jobs will only require a 2:1, not having a first wont rule you out of many jobs at all. And a 2:1 won't rule you out of many interview situations either so just impress them at interviews, you wont get a job solely by your degree classification.

I would have thought having a personality shows an employer that you have a personality.
Reply 64
Original post by Tommyjw
Like to see you 'cruise' and get a 2.1

Up your own ass much?

Yes... I attended three lectures in the first term of my second year and came out with 66%.... I'll let you know how the next exams go :P
Reply 65
Ok... I've just seen the date of this.... I thought it was modern.
this thread depresses me, the most i'll get is a 2:2 if i'm lucky.
Original post by Jungle Is Massive
Easy, tiger. I'm cruising and averaging a first. The entire system is a joke.

speak for yourself.
Reply 68
MrHappy_J, the fact the it's a joke should prevent you from getting depressed. If my attendance is that bad and i get 4% shy of a first, and the other guy cruises and gets a first, then it's clear that the methods of assessment don't actually test overall knowledge. I'm sad to say that, unless you are able to retain every piece of information ever given to you and organise it well within your head, then getting a 2:1/first is entirely about knowing how to do the exams. I've always seen 2:2 as being the level you can get based on knowledge alone. Anything higher is just organisation and essay writing method, though of course usually in decent subjects/universities a first requires demonstration of a good level of extra reading. Then
again, i got a few firsts by ONLY talking about extra reading. Certainly saves time in revision :P

My point is you would get higher than 2:2 if you figured out how to play the exams/cw.
A 2:1 is fine. It puts you in the top half of graduates, who are already in the top half of young adults. A 2:1 is only the "gold standard" amongst many employers as it's a tool they use to whittle down the amount of applicants; beyond that the vast majority couldn't give a damn about your classification. Some of the people on track for 2:2s on my course are having no problems getting job offers that pay very attractive salaries too, at leading international companies. Experience and being the right person for the job, being a likeable person, someone that people can see themselves working with count a lot more than degree classifications - and lets face it, degrees aren't about knowledge and education but rather passing exams. Employers know this since many of them went to university too (and didn't work as hard as us either since there wasn't so much pressure on them).

A 1st is good if you can get it and if you enjoy your subject that's fine, you'll probably want to aim for one. But if you're just at university so you can get a job at the end then a 2:1 is absolutely fine in the vast majority of cases.
Original post by rockshow7
MrHappy_J, the fact the it's a joke should prevent you from getting depressed. If my attendance is that bad and i get 4% shy of a first, and the other guy cruises and gets a first, then it's clear that the methods of assessment don't actually test overall knowledge. I'm sad to say that, unless you are able to retain every piece of information ever given to you and organise it well within your head, then getting a 2:1/first is entirely about knowing how to do the exams. I've always seen 2:2 as being the level you can get based on knowledge alone. Anything higher is just organisation and essay writing method, though of course usually in decent subjects/universities a first requires demonstration of a good level of extra reading. Then
again, i got a few firsts by ONLY talking about extra reading. Certainly saves time in revision :P

My point is you would get higher than 2:2 if you figured out how to play the exams/cw.

thanks but im really not that clever, i wouldn't have the first clue about knowing how to "play" the system.

Latest