The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

dime_piece
Can someone please define & explain the following to me:
Low critical temperature
Low lethal temperature
High critical temperature

Thanks in advance!

I cannot seem to find these in the textbook :frown:

Are you sure they are in the specification?
Mr van der WAALs
I cannot seem to find these in the textbook :frown:

Are you sure they are in the specification?

I don't think they are on the spec but they are on page 163 (i've read through it a couple of times but i still don't understand :frown: even though the concept is pretty simple)!
Reply 222
I will not be studying anything about:

Low critical temperature
Low lethal temperature

What the hell?
Reply 223
Doughboy

Low critical temperature
Low lethal temperature

What the hell?

Its covered in the edexcel texbook but its not in the snab textbook. But i do not know if its in the spec or not.
Abu3005
Its covered in the edexcel texbook but its not in the snab textbook. But i do not know if its in the spec or not.

okay, so what i gather from the textbook is that low critical temp is when the body reaches a low temp which still able to be restored by thermoregulation, low lethal temp is beyond the threshold level and so can't be restored causing death and high critical is the same as low just too hot.

i very much doubt you'll get asked about it though, they're not in the spec.
Reply 225
Is there any site from where I can get the answers to the questions on the Edexcel student book?
Reply 226
Doughboy

Low critical temperature
Low lethal temperature

What the hell?

It's covered in the green textbook, which give a lot of background knowledge and knowledge that is there to give you fuller answers and to broaden your understanding, however, I don't think we actually need to know about them in that much detail. Knowing about homeostasis is the key thing.
jimber
Doing (well planning to do) past papers, I hate the book questions/snab sheets personally!

the past papers are sooo hard and most of the questions arent even in our syllabus!
Blackelf
Is there any site from where I can get the answers to the questions on the Edexcel student book?

your teacher or school should be having a green A2 biology file which has the answers to all the questions in that textbook!
Reply 229
Nearing Insanity
your teacher or school should be having a green A2 biology file which has the answers to all the questions in that textbook!

thats the last thing my school will have:frown: . thanks anyway!
Reply 230
The answers are in the back of the book aren't they?
Reply 231
I'm not as confident on this exam as I was on unit 4. I'm really good at all the stuff to do with heart and muscles and respiration but I hate topic 8, I find all the stuff to do with neurotransmitters and axons etc so confusing. And I havn't even seen the scientific article yet so I've done no prep for the synoptic. My teacher said we're are doing it in the next couple of weeks but he's an idiot for leaving it so late.
anyone know what the core pracs are for this one? we've only done habituation.
i looked at the tick sheet for them but it doesn't give much away ):
Do we have to write an essay for this exam? or was that the old spec?
:smile:
Reply 234
zoe1992
The answers are in the back of the book aren't they?

No, they aren't. Im talking about the Edexcel A2 student book, the green one.
Reply 235
abcdemilyxx
anyone know what the core pracs are for this one? we've only done habituation.
i looked at the tick sheet for them but it doesn't give much away ):

The core pracs are there in bold in the specification.
Isnt the practical paper over? Or are you doing the paper on Jan?
Hey guys which book are you doing?
Reply 237
Isabelle K
Hey guys which book are you doing?

We were given both the green book and the orange book. I personally use the green book more, but for when revising I also use the orange book as the orange book has everything you need to know, but the green book expands on this and gives you background and wider knowledge and a better understanding. for some aspects the orange book is better though.
Blackelf
The core pracs are there in bold in the specification.
Isnt the practical paper over? Or are you doing the paper on Jan?

i know, i have no idea how to carry them out though. i presumed like the other three papers this one would include questions about core pracs we've done? i may be wrong, we've not really been told much about how it's structured other than the case study.
Reply 239
Page 4

Miesenbock approach;
He had to first insert a gene which made P2X2, which then binded to ATP, caused firing of neurones. Made them light-sensitive by placing form of ATP only activated by exposure to light of specific wavelength.

Para 4- it states the limitation

I don't understand exactly what the limitation to his approach is?

Also, is this related to genetical engineering (AS stuff)....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending