The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
I wasnt asking you to find it btw lol what i mean is; is it possible to find it on there?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3341
Original post by 19941994
Oh ok thank you! Can you find the examiners report on the edexcel website? :smile:

ur welcome :biggrin: and yes u can find it this is the link http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/biology/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 3342
cans someone please post jan 2012 QP and MS ! thanks
Reply 3343
Original post by SLlewellyn
Anyone got access to the January 2010 paper? I can only get June 2010, January 2011, June 2011 and I've already done January 2012 so won't be doing it a second time. Thanks.

theres no jan 2010. unit 5 started in june 2010
Reply 3344
Original post by ghogho
ur welcome :biggrin: and yes u can find it this is the link http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/biology/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks again! :biggrin:

Reply 3345
Can anyone plz tell me, What's meant by 'metabolic alterations' page 3 paragraph 17 of the article?
Hi does anybody have notes for the pre release? Really stuck on what to revise for that bit (30 marks!)
i know the content, i just cant apply it to questions :frown: any ideas how i can improve my exam technique??
Reply 3348
Original post by lollijade
i know the content, i just cant apply it to questions :frown: any ideas how i can improve my exam technique??

solve the past papers then check it using the markscheme and finally read the examiners report for each qu and their comments this will help u alot:smile:
best of luck:wink:
Reply 3349
Which textbook does everyone have? Last year my school gave us the green ones and we didn't like them, so this year they've given us the orange ones but are not giving us the green ones :frown: Does anyone have an online PDF of the green SNAB textbook? :smile:
Reply 3350
Original post by lollijade

I have a similar problem :frown: I think what helps is just doing as many past papers and questions that you can find, well it helps for me anyway :smile:
I get really frustrated on the 'suggest' questions - January paper was full of them and I lost marks on that and got a B (the grade boundaries were ridiculous though!) :/
Reply 3351
Article predictions? I have loads:

Pages 1 3

1. Describe using specific examples that there is a correlation between the media and amount of body dissatisfaction.

2. Analyse and interpret the possible link between obesity and health issues, such as diabetes, CVD and cancer.

3. Lipids are biological molecules that are insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents, like ethanol. Triglycerides are lipids made out of three fatty acids and one molecule of glycerol joined via an ester bond. The glycerol molecules are all the same. Recall the variation between the fatty acids.

4. When a triglyceride is broken apart by hydrolysis, how many components are found as products? Name them.

5. Suggest reasons why it is likely that gender plays a role in susceptibility to eating disorders.

6. List key features of a good study used to determine health risk factors. Refer to examples in the text.

7. Analyse and interpret data about the threats of eating disorders.

8. Recall how brain activation patterns are used to determine the influence of exposure to media images to ones sense of self.

9. The energy you need in a day depends on your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and level of activity. BMR varies with gender, age and body mass. Discuss this statement.

Page 4

1. How can restricting calories to 1200 calories per day affect cortisol and its subsequent effects on the body (para 18)?

2. In paragraph 20, the brains of rats have been studied to see the effect of ‘yo-yo dieting’. Why are rats considered a good model for study and describe the ethical issues involved in the use of animals in a trial of this kind?

3. Describe the waist-hip ratio and one other measure of physique or obesity.

Page 5

1. The electron transfer chain leads to ATP synthesis. How is this explained by the chemiosmotic theory?

2. Suggest how UCP-1 may disrupt respiration at the Electron Transfer level and prevent the production of some ATP.

3. Explain how transcription factors work.

4. Outline the process by which peptide hormones can affect gene transcription.

5. Explain how BAT is able to regulate both core body temperature and body weight.

6. Explain how PET scans work.

7. Suggest why heart and brain need to absorb large amounts of glucose.

Page 6

1. How does BAT deposition differ in rodents and humans (para 34)?
In adult humans, BAT is mainly deposited above the collar bones and around the neck, however in rodents BAT is mainly deposited between shoulder blades.

2. Why have thyroid hormones and other drugs that stimulate the SNS (Sympathetic Nervous System) been used then abandoned?
Unpleasant side effects were encountered; therefore the thyroid hormones and drugs were abandoned.

3. Describe the effects of fucoxanthin from seaweed (paragraph 38).
Increase the production of UCP-1 in White Adipose Tissues.

4. Explain why studies of fucoxanthin involving humans might be necessary?
Other animals are dissimilar to humans, therefore it is necessary to test fucoxanthin on humans to observe its effectiveness and any possible side effects.

5. Describe the clinical trial process/modern drug testing process that would be needed if fucoxanthin were to be licensed for human trials.
The first stage of drug trials would be on a large number of healthy volunteers to test for any unpleasant side effects that may have been missed in previous trials. The second trial would be on a large number of patients to test the effectiveness of fucoxanthin in treatment of obesity.

6. Use your scientific knowledge to describe the process by which mice could be genetically engineered to produce high levels of PRDM16 proteins (para 40).

Page 7

1. Paragraph 41 suggests the use of gene therapy. Explain how they could ‘transform stem cells’ with the PRDM16 gene.

2. ‘Tenmodulin’ (paragraph 44) is a transmembrane glycoprotein. Explain the post-transcriptional modifications that are made that enable the glycoprotein to reach its final destination.
The protein is

3. Pararaph 45 states that mRNA codes for various proteins. Explain how mRNA templates are used to specify the chemical structure of a protein.
tRNA molecules

4. Paragraph 46 mentions the ‘dopaminergic system’. Name and describe a disease where dopamine secretion is affected and describe the main symptoms.

5. Paragraph 45 mentions the protein ‘interleukin-6’, which is an anti-inflammatory protein. Suggest the impact of anorexia on the immune system.

6. Epigenetic changes’ are where the DNA base sequence remains the same, but changes are made to other parts of the DNA structure. This may affect gene expression. Using your knowledge of DNA structure and protein synthesis, suggest how ‘DNA methylation’ may ‘alter gene expression’ (paragraph 46).

Sorry for the odd format, hope that helps people who are stuck on the article, if you have more, let me know! :biggrin: x
Reply 3352
Original post by Hennnaa
Article predictions? I have loads:

Pages 1 3

1. Describe using specific examples that there is a correlation between the media and amount of body dissatisfaction.

2. Analyse and interpret the possible link between obesity and health issues, such as diabetes, CVD and cancer.

3. Lipids are biological molecules that are insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents, like ethanol. Triglycerides are lipids made out of three fatty acids and one molecule of glycerol joined via an ester bond. The glycerol molecules are all the same. Recall the variation between the fatty acids.

4. When a triglyceride is broken apart by hydrolysis, how many components are found as products? Name them.

5. Suggest reasons why it is likely that gender plays a role in susceptibility to eating disorders.

6. List key features of a good study used to determine health risk factors. Refer to examples in the text.

7. Analyse and interpret data about the threats of eating disorders.

8. Recall how brain activation patterns are used to determine the influence of exposure to media images to ones sense of self.

9. The energy you need in a day depends on your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and level of activity. BMR varies with gender, age and body mass. Discuss this statement.

Page 4

1. How can restricting calories to 1200 calories per day affect cortisol and its subsequent effects on the body (para 18)?

2. In paragraph 20, the brains of rats have been studied to see the effect of ‘yo-yo dieting’. Why are rats considered a good model for study and describe the ethical issues involved in the use of animals in a trial of this kind?

3. Describe the waist-hip ratio and one other measure of physique or obesity.

Page 5

1. The electron transfer chain leads to ATP synthesis. How is this explained by the chemiosmotic theory?

2. Suggest how UCP-1 may disrupt respiration at the Electron Transfer level and prevent the production of some ATP.

3. Explain how transcription factors work.

4. Outline the process by which peptide hormones can affect gene transcription.

5. Explain how BAT is able to regulate both core body temperature and body weight.

6. Explain how PET scans work.

7. Suggest why heart and brain need to absorb large amounts of glucose.

Page 6

1. How does BAT deposition differ in rodents and humans (para 34)?
In adult humans, BAT is mainly deposited above the collar bones and around the neck, however in rodents BAT is mainly deposited between shoulder blades.

2. Why have thyroid hormones and other drugs that stimulate the SNS (Sympathetic Nervous System) been used then abandoned?
Unpleasant side effects were encountered; therefore the thyroid hormones and drugs were abandoned.

3. Describe the effects of fucoxanthin from seaweed (paragraph 38).
Increase the production of UCP-1 in White Adipose Tissues.

4. Explain why studies of fucoxanthin involving humans might be necessary?
Other animals are dissimilar to humans, therefore it is necessary to test fucoxanthin on humans to observe its effectiveness and any possible side effects.

5. Describe the clinical trial process/modern drug testing process that would be needed if fucoxanthin were to be licensed for human trials.
The first stage of drug trials would be on a large number of healthy volunteers to test for any unpleasant side effects that may have been missed in previous trials. The second trial would be on a large number of patients to test the effectiveness of fucoxanthin in treatment of obesity.

6. Use your scientific knowledge to describe the process by which mice could be genetically engineered to produce high levels of PRDM16 proteins (para 40).

Page 7

1. Paragraph 41 suggests the use of gene therapy. Explain how they could ‘transform stem cells’ with the PRDM16 gene.

2. ‘Tenmodulin’ (paragraph 44) is a transmembrane glycoprotein. Explain the post-transcriptional modifications that are made that enable the glycoprotein to reach its final destination.
The protein is

3. Pararaph 45 states that mRNA codes for various proteins. Explain how mRNA templates are used to specify the chemical structure of a protein.
tRNA molecules

4. Paragraph 46 mentions the ‘dopaminergic system’. Name and describe a disease where dopamine secretion is affected and describe the main symptoms.

5. Paragraph 45 mentions the protein ‘interleukin-6’, which is an anti-inflammatory protein. Suggest the impact of anorexia on the immune system.

6. Epigenetic changes’ are where the DNA base sequence remains the same, but changes are made to other parts of the DNA structure. This may affect gene expression. Using your knowledge of DNA structure and protein synthesis, suggest how ‘DNA methylation’ may ‘alter gene expression’ (paragraph 46).

Sorry for the odd format, hope that helps people who are stuck on the article, if you have more, let me know! :biggrin: x

many many many thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 3353
Original post by ghogho
many many many thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks :wink: :biggrin:

Hehe, you're welcome :biggrin:
Reply 3354
Original post by iesians
theres no jan 2010. unit 5 started in june 2010

which is slightly frustrating! :frown:
does anybody know if we are allowed to bring in our own copy of the advance notice with notes written on it ? I was told this was allowed and know people who are doing it...is this really allowed !?!
Reply 3356
Original post by EmanFirstLast
does anybody know if we are allowed to bring in our own copy of the advance notice with notes written on it ? I was told this was allowed and know people who are doing it...is this really allowed !?!

No we're not allowed :/

Reply 3357
Anyone just do the bio unit 4 paper? I found it so hard! Everyone in my class ran out of time lol :frown:

Anyone just do the bio unit 4 paper? I found it so hard! Everyone in my class ran out of time lol :frown:

Yes I'm the same!! I've never struggled to finish a paper before, (did one yesterday with music on the whole time and got 76%) but then today i was 4 whole sides away from finishing. Lots of other people didnt finish too and those that did rushed it completely so some people came out crying. They just put so many graphs and background information in for us to read compared to normally that it took way longer that usual. I need an A* in something and was thinking it would be bio so now im screwed...

Me too! I rushed the last few questions in the last 15 minutes...
Just hope that they will make the grade boundaries lower coz i really need an A for my offer...

btw I haven't start doing the scientific article yet... would it be too late!?:frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending