The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
na im pretty shure u do. i asked my teacher last week sum tym nd she sed yes :/
I have a general query about the A2 synoptic elements & was wondering what everyone else thought...

Most of you that use the student A2 book will be aware of the way it links some of the topics to last year's AS units, for e.g. referring to 'AS Biology pages 200-3' for further information on so and so. Are we supposed to assume that the AS topics/sections they refer to in this way are the ONLY areas they will make synoptic links to? What have teachers told you?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Retrospect
I have a general query about the A2 synoptic elements & was wondering what everyone else thought...

Most of you that use the student A2 book will be aware of the way it links some of the topics to last year's AS units, for e.g. referring to 'AS Biology pages 200-3' for further information on so and so. Are we supposed to assume that the AS topics/sections they refer to in this way are the ONLY areas they will make synoptic links to? What have teachers told you?

As far as I am aware, from the information from my teacher, synoptic links may be to ANY parts of the 6BI01, 6BI02 and 6BI04 units; however the strength of the link, and to what extent the link will be, is unknown :o:
Reply 143
Just know the basics of your AS course and know your A2 course really well.

You should be prepared to basically answer anything that's in the AS spec in any question in the paper. Whether it's this article or any question.
Reply 144
I think most synoptic will be on pre-release...I mean come on normally theres 2 topics in each exam (50% each). This time theres 2 units (35% each?) and pre-release (30%?), that with all the synoptic links in is just tooo much. Its stupid
Mr van der WAALs
As far as I am aware, from the information from my teacher, synoptic links may be to ANY parts of the 6BI01, 6BI02 and 6BI04 units; however the strength of the link, and to what extent the link will be, is unknown :o:

I see - thanks for your help.
Reply 146
jonathan3909
Unit 4 and 5 sample Questions for the new syllabus(DO read)

Could I have the answers as well, please? :smile: I'd love you forever XD
Reply 147
skotch
Got the mock back for this paper (Jan 2010) and got 78% which is pretty good. It was a pretty easy paper, although I made some very silly mistakes...

There was Jan 2010 paper for unit 5??? :eek: or did you get the sample paper from the revision guide? :confused:
Reply 148
He probably used the ACTUAL sample paper provided by Edexcel. -_- [Or his teacher was creative enough to combine relevant questions from old past papers]

No Edexcel new spec. science Unit 5 was tested. Ever. June 2010 will be the first.
After analysis, the article relates to pretty much all of Topic 8, Topic 2 and 3 (because of the stuff about gene therapy and genetics in general) and also a bit Topic 4 (because of the drug trials stuff).
Reply 150
are the questions for article going to be based solely from the article or from our syllabus?? before this, my college centre had all made question BASED ON THE ARTICLE ONLY. more or less like a comprehension question. is it gna be like tht??
Reply 151
Oh no, they're not going to be based solely on the article, but they should have been mentioned. Take a look at the sample.

Explain how small samples of DNA from a burial site can be amplified and how such
samples might be used to find the identity of an unknown virus.

Don't think PCR was mentioned in the article but see how they tied it in?

For example, the use of animals in testing is mentioned [but not expanded upon] in the article. They could ask for ethical considerations here.
I can see very few synaptic themes in the stimulus material most of it is related to current stuff.
Reply 153
Ok where do we begin this is all totally out of order, which other board has done something so silly, no-one else just stupid edexcel
Retrospect

One of my teachers is on the exam board and said it could test you on anything. With the January 2010 paper there was a question out of the blue on plant fibers (something along the lines of naming two types or something, then you just have to write sclerenchyma and xylum) , if unit 5 is similar then you need basic knowledge from previous units.
skotch
Have been given two more sets of questions for the pre-release material that've been devised by my teachers. May post them up at some point soon.

Can i be really pesky and ask you to do just that =D all we've done in class is look for links in the syllabus!
Reply 156
I repeat, Edexcel can ask ANYTHING they want from Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5. This is from the January 2010 6BI04 report:

Most candidates seemed able to make reasonable attempts at questions on all of the topics tested and there was no noticeable area where a widespread lack of knowledge was apparent. However, where questions expected some knowledge from the AS units to be used, a number of candidates seemed to be uncertain of the appropriate terminology. It is important that candidates are aware that they can be expected to select facts, principles and concepts from both AS and A2 specifications at this level. Many of the topics in Unit 4 follow on from those covered in units 1 and 2 at AS. For example, in question 4, a basic understanding of the nature a gene and mutation is used to lead up to the effect that a change in an environmental factor can have on allele frequency. This synoptic concept has also been used in question 7 where knowledge from Unit 2 about the structure of cellulose has been placed in the context of digestion in cattle.
Reply 157
Shave_The_Whales
Can i be really pesky and ask you to do just that =D all we've done in class is look for links in the syllabus!

I have an exam on tuesday and break up for study leave on thursday so I'll try and do it on friday/saturday. If I haven't done it by then pester me again!
Reply 158
jonathan3909
Unit 4 and 5 sample Questions for the new syllabus(DO read)

cheers for these topic tests mate, really helpful. do you have the markschemes for them?
Reply 159
skotch
Ok here are the questions our teacher set us about the pre-release material, as promised.

If you want the answers then I can pm them to you.

Hope this helps!

sorry i know this was a while back but could you PM me the answers? cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending