The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody have anything more to add about class division and snobbery at Edinburgh Uni?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
my 2 cents.

Its just like any other uni. I have 3 siblings all at different unis(Strathclyde,Bristol,Newcastle). They all have posh people and they all have people who arent posh.

Also Edinburgh is no more racist than anywhere else in the country and I would say less racist in my opinion.
Reply 42
Original post by wollygoggles
Does anybody have anything more to add about class division and snobbery at Edinburgh Uni?

What is it you would like to know? That there isn't any, or that it's riddled with it? Like any top university, it's a big mix of people and in general they don't hate each other. :smile:
This thread has boosted my confidence more :smile: I'll be the first in my family to attend university and I, like others did not have a private education nor are my family rich. I have been having underlying concerns about this for a while, I think it's because the others from my school year who went to Edinburgh (I took a gap year) were some of the ones who tended to look down at others and would receive private tutoring and such. I'm still very excited to go and have visited friends of a friend on a night out who go to Edinburgh and they were all lovely!

Is it likely that people would maybe make comments or look down at me for having bright red hair and facial piercings? I'm toying with the idea of going brown but I love the red so much!

Also from reading these posts, it's clear to see there are plenty of people sharing my concerns and therefore there are actually a lot of people in the same boat, so I'm positive everything will be fine! See y'all there ^_^
Reply 44
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
This thread has boosted my confidence more :smile: I'll be the first in my family to attend university and I, like others did not have a private education nor are my family rich. I have been having underlying concerns about this for a while, I think it's because the others from my school year who went to Edinburgh (I took a gap year) were some of the ones who tended to look down at others and would receive private tutoring and such. I'm still very excited to go and have visited friends of a friend on a night out who go to Edinburgh and they were all lovely!

Is it likely that people would maybe make comments or look down at me for having bright red hair and facial piercings? I'm toying with the idea of going brown but I love the red so much!

Also from reading these posts, it's clear to see there are plenty of people sharing my concerns and therefore there are actually a lot of people in the same boat, so I'm positive everything will be fine! See y'all there ^_^

Don't know about the others but I like red hair and facial piercings! :tongue: Honestly, I can't imagine anyone looking down on you because of that! If they do then they're just not worth the attention. University in general has ALL sorts of people from everywhere so I'm hoping all of us will have an easy time finding people like ourselves.

Fingers crossed that I make my offer, then see you guys there in September! :smile:
Original post by zara55
What is it you would like to know? That there isn't any, or that it's riddled with it? Like any top university, it's a big mix of people and in general they don't hate each other. :smile:

I was just getting the thread back on topic for OP :smile:

I made good friends with people from Edinburgh Uni when I worked in Edinburgh for a short bit.

I'm Irish and from a working class background; they're English and very middle class, yet we get on great.

I wouldn't worry at all OP - if the friends I have made are anything to judge by. I'm sitting with my conditional offer for Edinburgh and cannot wait.
Reply 46
Original post by wollygoggles
I was just getting the thread back on topic for OP :smile:

I made good friends with people from Edinburgh Uni when I worked in Edinburgh for a short bit.

I'm Irish and from a working class background; they're English and very middle class, yet we get on great.

I wouldn't worry at all OP - if the friends I have made are anything to judge by. I'm sitting with my conditional offer for Edinburgh and cannot wait.

It's nice that you found that being from Ireland and working-class, I would imagine it's easy to feel daunted coming somewhere like Edinburgh from some backgrounds but people seem to quickly overcome such feelings. I felt very anxious before I arrived, I was in the reverse situation, wondering if I would be shown up as posh and silly, would find it hard to mix, etc. I needn't have worried.
Original post by saachi
Don't know about the others but I like red hair and facial piercings! :tongue: Honestly, I can't imagine anyone looking down on you because of that! If they do then they're just not worth the attention. University in general has ALL sorts of people from everywhere so I'm hoping all of us will have an easy time finding people like ourselves.

Fingers crossed that I make my offer, then see you guys there in September! :smile:

Well that helps to know :P I guess I just don't want to come across as daunting and/or scary and unapproachable, because I'm actually super nice when people get to know me, and I know that first impressions make a big impact. :colondollar: Good luck with your offer by the way, see ya in September. :wink:
what people've been saying on this thread is really reassuring; Edinburgh seems to have a reputation of having loads of rahs and of being snobby for some reason but all the students I've met at open days, online and from other random places have been really friendly and positive so I'm optimistic! :biggrin:

I doubt people would, and people who do aren't worth having as friends anyway! I'll be sticking to bright red or purple regardless :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by KattKaerringen
Uggs are considered "upper-class"?! :eek:

I was shocked too. :teehee:

I highly doubt it - Edinburgh seems to be quite a quirky place with regards to fashion. There's loads of little alternative-clothing boutiques and piercing salons. And consider this, the world's most pierced woman is from Edinburgh.

You'll fit in fine, you see people with bright hair and piercings in Edinburgh all the time! :biggrin:

(Also - please keep the red, it suits you!)
Incidentally, people who think that uggs and the like are "posh" are wrong. The people who wear them and think they're posh are nothing less than pretentious and wannabees.

Also, racism is rife in Scotland. I was watching the Scottish Cup Final the other day in a pub and every time a black Hibs player touched the ball, there was loud chants of "coon! coon! coon!".

If you're from Edinburgh and trying to say that there is no racism here, then go back to your liberal lala-land. You probably vote Labour.
Reply 52
Original post by AlexanderTheGreat
Incidentally, people who think that uggs and the like are "posh" are wrong. The people who wear them and think they're posh are nothing less than pretentious and wannabees.

Well maybe. There are Uggs around and I don't normally stop to ask their owners questions designed to elicit their true poshness, but possibly some are not total wannabees. (Some certainly are) However, I think you're right in general as alternative, hip, boho, vintage and chains all have their place in posh Edi Uni apparel. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending