Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to say why I want to work for a charity?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am attempting to fill out a job application form for a role within a charity ( a local children's hospice) and I am struggling to say why I want to work for them without sounding overly cheesy. Anyone have any suggestions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahlousie)
    I am attempting to fill out a job application form for a role within a charity ( a local children's hospice) and I am struggling to say why I want to work for them without sounding overly cheesy. Anyone have any suggestions?
    What's, the role fundraising?

I would mention some generic things about why you would like the job.

For a childrens hospice: say you are committed to the cause of enhancing the lives of life limited children. Basically look at their website find out what they do and copy it.

I used to work for a childrens hospice, obviously it was very rewarding supporting the children and their families. But is was great opening the minds of the local community an general public. You wouldnt believe the amount of people that think a childrens hospice is all about death and grieving. So I liked changing perceptions and introducing volunteers to the happiness of fundraising
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To counter the cheesy make sure you also add why you think the role would help you in your career.

If it's a part-time or unskilled position or one which probably wont form the basis for your career in the long term, then pick some skills its likely to allow you to develop and mention a desire to develop those skills.

It shows that you have a personal stake in the position beyond the trite sounding committment to the charity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livingston)
    To counter the cheesy make sure you also add why you think the role would help you in your career.

If it's a part-time or unskilled position or one which probably wont form the basis for your career in the long term, then pick some skills its likely to allow you to develop and mention a desire to develop those skills.

It shows that you have a personal stake in the position beyond the trite sounding committment to the charity.
    Thanks for the advice, I actually do want to work in charity fundraising and events for a career though so it really would benefit my career!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great.

I recommend talking about why you want it as a career. Every single person applying will say 'I want to help people'. Use this opportunity to demonstrate a specific reason why you want the position, as well as a deeper understanding of the sector...

So things like 'I'm seeking a challenging role and I know just how challenging fundraising for a charity can be in the current climate will be - I would relish the opportunity to face that challenge and to develop the skills to do so effectively' etc.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Improve the lives of others"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2011
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.