The Student Room Group

Physics degree.. what can I do in the armed forces?

What jobs are there within the armed forces in which I can relate to a physics degree, if any?

MPhys (Hons) Physics, Particle Physics & Cosmology

EDIT---

Other than RAF Pilot
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If you had an Mphys degree, why the hell would yo want to go into the armed forces?

I don't think there's anything specific they want. All of your physical knowledge would probably be wasted in the armed forces. I suppose you could just end up applying straight to be an officer or some other job where they want a degree but don't care what it's in.
Fair point, I'm just curious in all honesty. Think if i wanted to go down this sort of route I'd be better off working for the MoD with MPhys.
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Fair point, I'm just curious in all honesty. Think if i wanted to go down this sort of route I'd be better off working for the MoD with MPhys.

Better off trying to do something with BAE or Qnetiq or something if you were really interested in that kind of thing? You may have to do some kind of conversion course because it's more engineering than physics, but maybe not.
At least in a firm like one of the above you'd actually be able to use some physics. Granted, it'd be limited to designing weapons components, or something similar, but at least it would be physics-y.
Reply 4
I think a fair number of Physicists end up working in defence. Not sure exactly what, but maybe R&D of new technologies, weapons etc.. I'm not sure they work directly for the MoD though, more like the associated companies, unless you are planning on doing things like maintaining our nuclear deterrent
Reply 5
Original post by nickbob00
I think a fair number of Physicists end up working in defence. Not sure exactly what, but maybe R&D of new technologies, weapons etc.. I'm not sure they work directly for the MoD though, more like the associated companies, unless you are planning on doing things like maintaining our nuclear deterrent

That's what I'm saying. The MOD buys all of its stuff from private companies. I live right next to where the new Astute class submarines are being assembled by BAE. There are physics jobs in defence, but maybe not directly as part of the forces.
thx for the info guys :]
Reply 7
A degree would be enough to see you enter as an Officer, but nothing more specific, unless it was an engineering or medical degree. If you want to use the MPhys, then get yourself to a contractor. It'll be far more interesting, for starters. You'll be paid a lot more. And you won't be getting shot at.
Reply 8
You could go through Sandhurst and be an Officer, or i'm sure the MOD could put you to good use.
Reply 9
Look at the RAF website, Bleak Lemming.

That will tell you all the requirements you need for which trade. It's obvious you havn't checked if you're thinking you need a degree to become a pilot
Reply 10
Don't think there are any 'trade' type jobs in the military that need a physics degree. However having a MPhys degree and applying to the military as an officer (whatever branch you choose) will get you £30k starting salary and 3-4 years seniority, also you may be entitled to a £12k 'golden hello', but this might be in specific jobs.
Reply 11
Also for everyone saying a degree means you can become an officer are wrong. Unless it is a 'trade' officer you apply to i.e medical doctor/nurse, engineer etc... you will not be able to apply to become an officer unless you have 180 ucas point from A-levels or equivelant! And the grades that make up the 180 ucas points have to be grade C or above!

A degree merely gets you a higher starting salary and a few years seniority (depending on the service you join).
Reply 12
Original post by U.S Lecce
Also for everyone saying a degree means you can become an officer are wrong. Unless it is a 'trade' officer you apply to i.e medical doctor/nurse, engineer etc... you will not be able to apply to become an officer unless you have 180 ucas point from A-levels or equivelant! And the grades that make up the 180 ucas points have to be grade C or above!

A degree merely gets you a higher starting salary and a few years seniority (depending on the service you join).

While it was an assumption, it was [probably] a good guess that a guy with an MPhys will have those requisite UCAS pts. And while you're right in saying the Armed Forces [of the UK, at least] require the Alevels/equivalents as a basic level, with the much reduced recruitment of the Armed Forces and the pickier nature of selection, a candidate with a degree is far more likely to get further in the process than one without.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
While it was an assumption, it was [probably] a good guess that a guy with an MPhys will have those requisite UCAS pts. And while you're right in saying the Armed Forces [of the UK, at least] require the Alevels/equivalents as a basic level, with the much reduced recruitment of the Armed Forces and the pickier nature of selection, a candidate with a degree is far more likely to get further in the process than one without.

Actaully I'm not too sure about that either. I was talking to an Royal marines officer and he was saying that degrees mean absolutely nothing to the recruiters at least in the royal marines commandos. All they mainly look at is firstly your physical ability, and secondly you ability to lead. He said that every year they get loads of graduates at the marines poc and aib that literally think they're the best and will fly through officer selection. The kind of guys that have 1st class honours, have been leaders of extra curricular groups in uni, captain of their sports teams, basically always been high achievers and think they are the bomb because everyone has told them they are. Then they go to officer selection and get rejected because the recruiters basically think they're a bit **** and are too full of themselves and wouldn't make good leaders/officers. Then you get the guys that haven't got the 1st class degrees or any degrees at all but have outstanding physical ability and have shown that they can be molded into the type of officers the marines are looking for.

However this may only be in the royal marines though. Also he did say degrees become a bit more relevant later on in an officers career when competing with other officers for higher rank jobs. That's why loads of officers do OU degrees, even if they have a degree already.
Original post by wly
Look at the RAF website, Bleak Lemming.

That will tell you all the requirements you need for which trade. It's obvious you havn't checked if you're thinking you need a degree to become a pilot

I don't wanna be a pilot, just had a feeling every1 wud associate physics with being a pilot! :P
Reply 15
Actaully I'm not too sure about that either. I was talking to an Royal marines officer and he was saying that degrees mean absolutely nothing to the recruiters at least in the royal marines commandos. All they mainly look at is firstly your physical ability, and secondly you ability to lead. He said that every year they get loads of graduates at the marines poc and aib that literally think they're the best and will fly through officer selection. The kind of guys that have 1st class honours, have been leaders of extra curricular groups in uni, captain of their sports teams, basically always been high achievers and think they are the bomb because everyone has told them they are. Then they go to officer selection and get rejected because the recruiters basically think they're a bit **** and are too full of themselves and wouldn't make good leaders/officers. Then you get the guys that haven't got the 1st class degrees or any degrees at all but have outstanding physical ability and have shown that they can be molded into the type of officers the marines are looking for.

However this may only be in the royal marines though. Also he did say degrees become a bit more relevant later on in an officers career when competing with other officers for higher rank jobs. That's why loads of officers do OU degrees, even if they have a degree already.

I see your point, but the RM Officer job is quite unlike any other in the Armed Forces. The guys who have been out in the world that bit longer, proved their higher learning ability [especially when it comes to self discipline that a degree needs] usually do stand out a long way with the RAF certainly, and then the RN and Army perhaps less so but still equally.

And you get egotistical tools in every walk of life, whether with degrees or not [and they're usually Pilots..... :wink: ].

Original post by Bleak Lemming
I don't wanna be a pilot, just had a feeling every1 wud associate physics with being a pilot! :P

Not really, tbh. It doesn't lend itself to the branch any more than a degree in geography, or engineering.
he was saying that degrees mean absolutely nothing to the recruiters at least in the royal marines commandos.

Yet there are more graduate RM Officers than non-graduate RM Officers. A statistic that is similar across the Armed Forces. It is part of the equation. Also, not that many Officers do OU degrees whilst serving.
Reply 17
Original post by ProStacker
Yet there are more graduate RM Officers than non-graduate RM Officers. A statistic that is similar across the Armed Forces. It is part of the equation. Also, not that many Officers do OU degrees whilst serving.

Naturally yes there will be more officers with degrees than without. My point was that a degree doesn't give you a better chance at becoming an officer than not having a degree.
And I don't know how many officers do OU degrees, but I was told by an officer that a lot of officers do them, to help with promotion.
Reply 18
As it has been said before, when applying for Armed Forces a degree will help, not as a qualification, but as a proof that you went on and did it. Recruiter will know nothing about you and they need facts, they will have a routine check list of what you did and when and having a degree gives you more personal experience to talk about. But in all honesty they won't care too much if its a 1st Class Degree from Oxbridge or 2.2 from Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest