The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

failing exams intentionally

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I doubt it. It seems as though most unis cap resits at ~40%.

no, not at lse. there is no cap on resits. 40% is the min to pass. who told you resists are capped?????
(edited 13 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by julianne
no, not at lse. there is no cap on resits. 40% is the min to pass. who told you resists are capped?????

So LSE students are just allowed to do exams more than once?
You could do however every single piece of information about your university degree will be put into the transcript, so potential employers can see what you've done. It won't look particularly good :/

Why do you want to take a year out anyway? Or did you not take one before uni and are now regretting it?
Reply 23
So LSE students are just allowed to do exams more than once?

Yeah but only once a year and obviously only if you fail.

So if you fail a first (second) year exam you have to resit it the following summer at the same time as you take your second (third) year exams. If you fail more than one exam you have to wait a year to take the resits but you aren't allowed to progress to the next year of the course in the meantime, so a three year course would end up taking four years to complete.
This brings back a few memories for me. Memories that I now cringe at whenever they are brought up.

The first time I was at University we used to get letters home if we missed too many tutorials. If you got a letter they took 10% off your final result for that course. I was a lazy little punk back then and got letters for all my courses.

However I decided to look into the degree regulations to see if i could find a way around this. I did. Resits were not capped on my course back then and the 10% reduction did not count towards resits. I also noticed that looking through past exam papers the same questions never came up in the resits that were in the original paper so you could accurately predict what questions would come up in the resits. Also in these exams you had a choice of questions to answer, so by playing the system I only needed to revise half the course and get a great mark or revise a quarter of the course and get a pass.

I decided to enact my little plan so turned up to the exams in order to get the paper so i could predict what will turn up in the resits. I waited the compulsory 30 minutes then left. I studied only half the course for the resits but because what i revised came up, I averaged 82% for my exams.

I thought I was a very clever bunny for this and did exactly the same the following year. Then in year 3 I had done an assignment and gave a look of it to a "mate" so he could get some pointers from it. The idiot copied it practically word for word and we both got pulled in for plagiarism. Because of my shenanigans in my exams they thought I must have been cheating through out my degree (I wasn't) and gave me the option of dropping out or getting thrown out. My "friend" denied everything and said he gave me a look at his work.

Moral of the story is don't try and play the system. Lecturer's hate this more than anything else and will look for any excuse to f**k you over. Put in the work and get the required grades. If after this you still want to take a year out, just go to them and say I want to take a year out. You might have to come up with an excuse as to why but it is a better option than your current little plan.

By cheating the system you only cheat yourself.

I found this out the hard way, please learn from my mistakes.
Original post by ColdVein
Yeah but only once a year and obviously only if you fail.

So if you fail a first (second) year exam you have to resit it the following summer at the same time as you take your second (third) year exams. If you fail more than one exam you have to wait a year to take the resits but you aren't allowed to progress to the next year of the course in the meantime, so a three year course would end up taking four years to complete.

Thats the same here but all resits are capped at 40%.
Reply 26
Thats the same here but all resits are capped at 40%.

That sounds pretty rough, where's 'here' out of interest?
Do all three years of your course count towards the final degree?
Reply 27
Original post by julianne
I graduated from LSE, so I know how my transcript looks like;-) Everything is listed there, every single attempt, every single mark. You can't really hide anything. And in job applications I often had to specify all my marks...

well in that case u are right... my friends didn't fail any paper so I've never seen a transcript from someone who failed an exam. and as you probably know before 2010 univ offices could only confirm to employers the student's final mark if not specified otherwise by the student himself. (this just in case the paper transcript wasn't to be seen in advance by the possible employer).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by arabcnesbit
This brings back a few memories for me. Memories that I now cringe at whenever they are brought up.

The first time I was at University we used to get letters home if we missed too many tutorials. If you got a letter they took 10% off your final result for that course. I was a lazy little punk back then and got letters for all my courses.

However I decided to look into the degree regulations to see if i could find a way around this. I did. Resits were not capped on my course back then and the 10% reduction did not count towards resits. I also noticed that looking through past exam papers the same questions never came up in the resits that were in the original paper so you could accurately predict what questions would come up in the resits. Also in these exams you had a choice of questions to answer, so by playing the system I only needed to revise half the course and get a great mark or revise a quarter of the course and get a pass.

I decided to enact my little plan so turned up to the exams in order to get the paper so i could predict what will turn up in the resits. I waited the compulsory 30 minutes then left. I studied only half the course for the resits but because what i revised came up, I averaged 82% for my exams.

I thought I was a very clever bunny for this and did exactly the same the following year. Then in year 3 I had done an assignment and gave a look of it to a "mate" so he could get some pointers from it. The idiot copied it practically word for word and we both got pulled in for plagiarism. Because of my shenanigans in my exams they thought I must have been cheating through out my degree (I wasn't) and gave me the option of dropping out or getting thrown out. My "friend" denied everything and said he gave me a look at his work.

Moral of the story is don't try and play the system. Lecturer's hate this more than anything else and will look for any excuse to f**k you over. Put in the work and get the required grades. If after this you still want to take a year out, just go to them and say I want to take a year out. You might have to come up with an excuse as to why but it is a better option than your current little plan.

By cheating the system you only cheat yourself.

I found this out the hard way, please learn from my mistakes.
lol has this happened at lse? though I don't understand why didn't you beat the **** out of your 'friend' .
so at the end you got thrown out?
Original post by ricco
lol has this happened at lse? though I don't understand why didn't you beat the **** out of your 'friend' .
so at the end you got thrown out?

No this was while I was studying Law at Dundee a good few years a go.

I took it to an appeal but was made aware I would lose the appeal and they would make sure I couldn't apply to any other Law department in the country so I dropped out. In hindsight trying to manipulate small print designed by the Law department of your university probably wasn't a great idea. Damned lawyers.

Oh and lets just say regarding my "friend", I helped the karma police with their enquiries.
Reply 30
Original post by ricco
well in that case u are right... my friends didn't fail any paper so I've never seen a transcript from someone who failed an exam. and as you probably know before 2010 univ offices could only confirm to employers the student's final mark if not specified otherwise by the student himself. (this just in case the paper transcript wasn't to be seen in advance by the possible employer).

well, I never failed any of my exams, but I have friends who did, and I saw couple of other transcripts, that's why I know. It's there. and employers do often ask about transcripts. I am a teacher, they analysed all my grades before I got the job. also I did two interships in banks, same there.
I failed an exam last year, and know a few others who've failed modules - or had to retake a year. It's not really a big deal to be honest, although that would really depend on what profession you want to go into. Law, investment banking, consultancy... these 'prestigious' careers would definitely be quite snobby about grades and resits. If you are just looking for a normal (by normal, I simply mean non-LSE) career, most companies just care that you got a 2.1 overall... and obviously haven't taken 10 years to do a degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi all - would be grateful if someone could answer a question I have!

Basically, if you fail one LSE final year exam (marginally) - do you get an automatic drop in your degree classfication, i.e. from a 2:1 to a 2:2? Taking into account that have no other failed papers in your past exams history?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 33
No
Reply 34
So for LSE, what would cause an automatic drop in your degree classification ?

Given that we have failed once, and have to repeat a year ? Will this cause the drop in our degree classification-
if u had read the page before you'd have the answer
Karma will bite your ass big time.
Risky, but doable.
Original post by Chian
So for LSE, what would cause an automatic drop in your degree classification ?

Given that we have failed once, and have to repeat a year ? Will this cause the drop in our degree classification-

No it wouldn't,

I am talking from experience as I am currently resiting the year.

There is no cap as to what marks I would get in the exam and they would all count towards my final mark and so I still have the chance of getting a 2.1.

Last year I barley made an attempt on one of my econ exam and the other I just failed. Therefore the university allowed me to resit the year and drop econ and just do social policy. They replaced the exams I failed with new courses which I am now doing.
Reply 39
Original post by Chrisateen
No it wouldn't,

I am talking from experience as I am currently resiting the year.

There is no cap as to what marks I would get in the exam and they would all count towards my final mark and so I still have the chance of getting a 2.1.

Last year I barley made an attempt on one of my econ exam and the other I just failed. Therefore the university allowed me to resit the year and drop econ and just do social policy. They replaced the exams I failed with new courses which I am now doing.

Thank you ! I hope your exams went well ! I don't understand what it means by " There's no cap as to what marks I would get.". Can you explain to me please ?

And if we fail one paper for the second time, this will cause a drop in degree classification right ? Let's say if we are able to get 75% after retakes, that means we are getting a first for that paper ?

If we have taken a year out to repeat 2 papers, and for the 2nd round, we manage to pass 1 and fail 1 paper, are we allow to progress to the next year ?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. Would like to understand how the system works- :smile: Cheers and Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending