The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Accommodation prices holding me back...

Hi guys,

I've got an offer to study medicine from UCL, and I love almost everything about the university; the location, the course, it's all amazing.

Except the prospect of finding accommodation. First year doesn't seem too bad; I've tailored my application to try and make sure I get a twin room in self-catered houses, which falls happily within my budget. However, from 2nd year onwards I've heard that you can expect to be paying upwards of £130 a week for accommodation? I'm from a pretty poor background with no savings to speak of and no parental support likely to be coming my way. I'll be trying to maintain a part-time job, but this could obviously get tricky what with my course being pretty full-on, especially around exam times.

I've done the calculations, and once my tuition fees, £10/month phone bill and £23/month contact lens bills have been paid, I'll have £8675 for the year, which works out to about £230/week for a 37-week year. If I'm shelling out £130 a week for accommodation, I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to afford everything else I need to survive at uni.

Basically, I need some reassurance that it's possible to survive on a very tight budget while at UCL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :redface:
Original post by houseelf
Hi guys,

I've got an offer to study medicine from UCL, and I love almost everything about the university; the location, the course, it's all amazing.

Except the prospect of finding accommodation. First year doesn't seem too bad; I've tailored my application to try and make sure I get a twin room in self-catered houses, which falls happily within my budget. However, from 2nd year onwards I've heard that you can expect to be paying upwards of £130 a week for accommodation? I'm from a pretty poor background with no savings to speak of and no parental support likely to be coming my way. I'll be trying to maintain a part-time job, but this could obviously get tricky what with my course being pretty full-on, especially around exam times.

I've done the calculations, and once my tuition fees, £10/month phone bill and £23/month contact lens bills have been paid, I'll have £8675 for the year, which works out to about £230/week for a 37-week year. If I'm shelling out £130 a week for accommodation, I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to afford everything else I need to survive at uni.

Basically, I need some reassurance that it's possible to survive on a very tight budget while at UCL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :redface:

It can be pretty tough balancing finances in London. Presumably if you are from a poorer background you'll get a full maintainence grant/loan? Also - I'm studying a law degree and managed to work part-time, so I'm sure it will be possible for you to do the same. £100 a week is enough to live off if you are sensible and careful with your money and don't go out drinking every night imo.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by La Songeuse
It can be pretty tough balancing finances in London. Presumably if you are from a poorer background you'll get a full maintainence grant/loan? Also - I'm studying a law degree and managed to work part-time, so I'm sure it will be possible for you to do the same. £100 a week is enough to live off if you are sensible and careful with your money and don't go out drinking every night imo.

Not quite "full" - an unfortunate one-off spike in my parents' income for the tax year considered by the SLC means that I'd be getting £5929/year maintenance loan and £1998/year grant, alongside a £999/year UCL bursary. Which, as I mentioned, works out to about £8530/year after my direct debits (phone and contact lenses) are deducted, leaving about £230/week for a 37-week year.

How many hours do you manage to work per week, and do you think it puts a strain on your ability to study effectively for your degree?

If you wouldn't mind, it would be incredibly helpful if you could show me an example budget that would allow me to live on a £100/week allowance after accommodation had been taken care of. :smile:

Thanks for the response, it's quite reassuring to hear a current student say that it would be doable. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Central London is very expensive. If you live in East London or West London, things get a whole lot cheaper. I live in west london and a typical 3 bedroom house rent is £1200 pcm + £150 extras. Say if 3 people share this house, that equates to £450 pcm or around £104 per week for each of you.
Reply 4
Original post by chaz1992
Central London is very expensive. If you live in East London or West London, things get a whole lot cheaper. I live in west london and a typical 3 bedroom house rent is £1200 pcm + £150 extras. Say if 3 people share this house, that equates to £450 pcm or around £104 per week for each of you.

See, that would be a hell of a lot more feasible. But then I suppose you have to add significant transport costs onto that in order to get to uni?
See, that would be a hell of a lot more feasible. But then I suppose you have to add significant transport costs onto that in order to get to uni?

In all honesty I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're getting a wonderful amount of financial aid. I'm studying at Durham, which is, in terms of location, the arse-end of nowhere, and I pay £109 a week because I choose to live in the centre. I mean, its so small all of it is the centre, but the centre of the centre. Anyway, its expensive everywhere, and I regret not coming to london because i got offers from LSE, UCL and kings but turned them down because of living costs. They will be the same anywhere else.

Except newcastle, thats damned cheap... :s
Reply 6

It's only £500 a year for a student I believe - unlimited travel on bus and underground with an 18+ Oyster.

Plenty of part time jobs as well.
Not quite "full" - an unfortunate one-off spike in my parents' income for the tax year considered by the SLC means that I'd be getting £5929/year maintenance loan and £1998/year grant, alongside a £999/year UCL bursary. Which, as I mentioned, works out to about £8530/year after my direct debits (phone and contact lenses) are deducted, leaving about £230/week for a 37-week year.

How many hours do you manage to work per week, and do you think it puts a strain on your ability to study effectively for your degree?

If you wouldn't mind, it would be incredibly helpful if you could show me an example budget that would allow me to live on a £100/week allowance after accommodation had been taken care of. :smile:

Thanks for the response, it's quite reassuring to hear a current student say that it would be doable. :biggrin:

Ahh, you get more money than I do! That sounds like a nice amount of money tbh :wink:

I work a minimum of 2 hours a week (teaching swimming) and earn £32 pounds per week. I also lifeguard 2 hours a month minimum - and often work more. It obviously puts a slight strain on my studies, but not too much! The biggest impact of my job is the fact that a lot of guest lectures that aren't compulsory (but are interesting and would be good to go to) are around the time that I work.

Example budget:

Rent: £595 per month
Travelcard: £19 per week
Food: £20-£30 per week (including bread, cheese, milk, vegetables, lunch things, pasta/rice, spaghetti sauce, and cheap meat like chicken/pork). I cook a lot of things from scratch like curry/pasta/stir fry so my food bill is cheaper than if I bought lots of pizza and ready-meals.

There are the small expenses such as lunch/dinner, but I try to make my own lunch everyday. There's also book/course expenses too. However I don't really drink/go clubbing much, so my social expenses are much less than your average student! In my first year UCLU social events would typically cost between £15-£20, and there wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 good Union events a month.

Obviously my budget would be greater if I went clubbing once/twice a week, in which case factor in: £15+ for entry, and £20+ for alcohol. It would also be greater if I bought clothes and did more shopping.

Hope that helps! It is a struggle, but living in London is worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending