The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So far I'm not very impressed with HxH either. I'm on the Greed Island arc and so far it hasn't struck me as a 'masterpiece', you'd think with it's MAL score it would be. It's paced terribly and so far the only good arc (York Shin) ended way too quickly and abruptly, without any climax at all. Plus, I hear Kurapika doesn't return and he's easily my favourite character in the show.
Original post by EdwardElric
So far I'm not very impressed with HxH either. I'm on the Greed Island arc and so far it hasn't struck me as a 'masterpiece', you'd think with it's MAL score it would be. It's paced terribly and so far the only good arc (York Shin) ended way too quickly and abruptly, without any climax at all. Plus, I hear Kurapika doesn't return and he's easily my favourite character in the show.

Shame to hear that! As I explained in an earlier post, the 2011 series gives the early arcs the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment (i.e speeds through them in a rush to get to the new material). The change in pace after the end of Greed Island should be very noticeable. Again, I'd recommend sticking it out, as for me the Chimera Ant arc was on a whole different level to anything else before it, but that's just my opinion. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Shame to hear that! As I explained in an earlier post, the 2011 series gives the early arcs the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment (i.e speeds through them in a rush to get to the new material). The change in pace after the end of Greed Island should be very noticeable. Again, I'd recommend sticking it out, as for me the Chimera Ant arc was on a whole different level to anything else before it, but that's just my opinion. :smile:

Ah, I see. That would explain the quality of the earlier arcs. I think I may be a little harsh on the show, maybe because of all the hype surrounding it which put my expectations a little too high. I've heard good things about the Chimera Ant arc so I'll try sticking with it until then.
I don't get the love-in around HxH either personally. I dropped it several times and it wasn't until the very end of the Heaven's Arena arc that I was interested in watching it. Thoroughly enjoyed the Yorknew City arc

Spoiler

I enjoyed the Greed Island arc a lot too, especially a certain game of dodgeball. After that, all of my favourite characters were absent for the Chimera Ant arc so I didn't enjoy that at all. That being said, episode 135 was a masterpiece and the best of the series imo.

Contrary to last week, I thought UBW was incredibly poor this week. Can't say I understood why today's events happened at all...

Spoiler

On the other hand, I didn't think I could like anything more than I liked season 1 of Oregairu, but season 2 is definitely becoming my new favourite of all time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Gundam is the biggest mech franchise out there. :yes: The original Mobile Suit Gundam aired in 1979, while the most recent offering (excluding spin-offs), G no Reconguista, ended last season. And the only one I've watched fully is 08th MS Team. So that's something I feel I should do something about, especially since I really enjoyed both that and SEED. :p:

I avoided longer series like the plague, until I finally took the plunge and started One Piece a few years back. That's the longest thing I've watched by far, with Urusei Yatsura and Hunter x Hunter (oddly enough) a distand 2nd and 3rd. Naruto is also on my list of series to try and watch this year though, figured I'd see what all the fuss is about now that it's over. :giggle:

Unlimited Blade Works is very different in style to Fate/Zero - it focuses largely on just two master/servant couples, instead of telling the story from the perspective of a wide range of characters as Zero did. The masters are mostly high school age, and lack the life experience and interesting backgrounds that those in Zero had. The series' pacing is also inconsistent, but at least the fight scenes (when it does eventually get around to them) look amazing. It's not terrible, but go into it expecting it to be like Zero, and you be left disappointed. :sadnod:

Sorry for the late reply

I can't stand Mecca I only liked it with Code Geass. I heard about Gundam and it's whole franchise, but it never really appealed to me.

Do you know longer watch one piece?I t's not due to end for a while now, I watched loads of episode at a point, like 3 years ago, but now I just tune in when I can. Think I might watch urusei, long animes are pretty cool, especially comedic ones haha. You should watch ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha if you haven't already, Uresei reminded me of ranma 1/2 for ome reason

Yeah Saber, I didn't really like how she was such an important part in fate/zero, I'm not sure why, she had too much honor for my liking lol. I was expecting it to be like fate/zero, but the reviews weren't the best on myanimelist, and I couldn't be bothered watching it subbed lol.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Sorry for the late reply

I can't stand Mecca I only liked it with Code Geass. I heard about Gundam and it's whole franchise, but it never really appealed to me.

Do you know longer watch one piece?I t's not due to end for a while now, I watched loads of episode at a point, like 3 years ago, but now I just tune in when I can. Think I might watch urusei, long animes are pretty cool, especially comedic ones haha. You should watch ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha if you haven't already, Uresei reminded me of ranma 1/2 for ome reason

Yeah Saber, I didn't really like how she was such an important part in fate/zero, I'm not sure why, she had too much honor for my liking lol. I was expecting it to be like fate/zero, but the reviews weren't the best on myanimelist, and I couldn't be bothered watching it subbed lol.

I was wary of mechs for a long time, but looking back I don't really understand why. Code Geass was one of my first mech series too, along with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Gunparade March. In all those series and most mech shows I've seen since, it's the plot and characters that stand out in my mind - the giant robots are just there to provide a premise and nice action scenes. :yes:

After I finally caught up with One Piece, I stopped watching as the pacing was too painfully slow for me to watch it weekly. Now, I wait for each new arc to end, and marathon it until I'm up to date again. So I haven't watched any in over a year, as the current Dressrosa arc seems to be a long one!

Not surprised Urusei Yatsura reminds you of Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha - they're all based on manga series by Takahashi Rumiko. :yes: I've not seen Ranma or Inuyasha yet myself, though I've been meaning to get around to the latter one day. Didn't enjoy Maison Ikkoku (also by Takahashi Rumiko), though, the fanservice in that was too extreme for my liking, so I dropped it at about 20 episodes.
Mecha anime are awesome. You just need to find the right ones. IMO the best mechs series I've seen are NGE, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Macross series, Gurren Lagann and select Gundam titles (my favourite is Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team),
(edited 8 years ago)
Just finished Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso... :coma:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Just finished Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso... :coma:

Slightly above average romcom with good production values, 6/10.

The monologues... Oh god why
Original post by MintyMilk
Slightly above average romcom with good production values, 6/10.

The monologues... Oh god why

We got a hipster in the house
Original post by Kenan and Kel
We got a hipster in the house

Hipster because he has a different opinion?
Original post by Pinkhead
Hipster because he has a different opinion?

I bet you he would think higher of it if the anime wasn't so popular. I'm almost certain.
I'd also give Shigatsu wa kimi no uso a 6/10, I had a lot of problems with it.
Guys can we not.....

I cried like 5 timed watching Shigatsu, plus as a musician myself much of dialogue and many of the characters resounded with me. I actually felt quite emotionally attached to them, which doesn't happen too often.

The soundtrack and visuals were both fantastic as well. I'd give it 9/10 for actually moving me and making me feel/relive the struggles the characters faced.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really liked the first half of Shigatsu when it's focus was more on the musical side but the second half felt a bit repetitive and a lot of the 'comedy' was badly timed. Kaori felt like a background character at times. I did like the ending and final episode though. The music and visuals were good too. It would have been better if the characters were high schoolers about to move to college though rather than middle school students, 7/10 for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Guys can we not.....

I cried like 5 timed watching Shigatsu, plus as a musician myself much of dialogue and many of the characters resounded with me. I actually felt quite emotionally attached to them, which doesn't happen too often.

The soundtrack and visuals were both fantastic as well. I'd give it 9/10 for actually moving me and making me feel/relive the struggles the characters faced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Can we not" what? So people can't think the show is mediocre? Why not?

Don't label people with different opinions "haters". Such a cop out response. A 6 or 7/10 is above average so it's not even like they don't like the show.
I can't give an opinion about Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, as I didn't watch it, but would also appreciate if people could discuss it and other shows without feeling the need to label each other 'haters', 'hipsters' or anything to that effect. Please? :puppyeyes:
Original post by Pinkhead
"Can we not" what? So people can't think the show is mediocre? Why not?

Don't label people with different opinions "haters". Such a cop out response. A 6 or 7/10 is above average so it's not even like they don't like the show.

It was meant to be ironic...

Well, I kind of can, considering that the distribution of ratings on MAL is clustered in the highest rank positions (namely 10, 9, 8). Just voicing my opinion as well. Yeesh.
Original post by Princepieman
Guys can we not.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time I checked a 6 out of 10 hardly counts as 'hating' something. Come on.
Finished Gundam SEED! Things certainly escalated quickly. :zomg: A good series, and I liked how it ended, so I won't go spoiling it all by rushing to watch SEED Destiny (not in the foreseeable future anyway). :p:

Sticking with mechs, but more of a super robot show this time around, I'll be starting GaoGaiGar. I watched the first episode years ago, but don't remember a thing about it... other than the epic opening theme~

Latest