The Student Room Group

Why do people always say first year doesn't count?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
I don't know why you would raise a four-year old thread from its grave to post that nonsense but you obviously need to be made aware that first year results in many courses do count towards the final classification.

:rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Good bloke
I am unaware of the relative numbers but many do, so to tell people to doss through their fist year is not sound advice.

I'm not saying to doss...I actually did really well in my first year. I actually think it's important to have a sound knowledge in the first year. It's important but most uni do not add it onto ur final grades; this does not mean it is not important, and if they do.....well I'm not sure why teachers and lecturers say the same.
Original post by Harry-Potter
I'm not saying to doss...I actually did really well in my first year. I actually think it's important to have a sound knowledge in the first year. It's important but most uni do not add it onto ur final grades; this does not mean it is not important, and if they do.....well I'm not sure why teachers and lecturers say the same.

Where in my post did I advise to doss....all I did was answer the question:
It does not count
But it's is important
Original post by Harry-Potter
Where in my post did I advise to doss....all I did was answer the question:
It does not count
But it's is important

Now you are getting irritating. You said:

First year is all about meeting new people, finding your friends, enjoying a break from a-level, as well as getting everyone started at the same level.

No mention of work at all.

You keep repeating that it doesn't count, ignoring the fact that for many it does count. Now go away and let this thread rest in peace.
Started at the same level (refers to work)
Original post by sweetgyal24
A lot of people say this, that first year at uni does not count. However, one would surely want to start off doing well from the beginning till the end. Employers would certainly be impressed if an individual got excellent grades in first year and onwards would they not? :smile:

I am talking about degrees such as Law and Medicine incase it asks.

In my case for what I'm studying, I only heard the first year is just getting to grips with software and making sure everyone starts off equal, so it's actually a really laid back year. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously though
For Law firms (and possibly for Business as well), first year marks do matter. With so many students getting a 2:1, they want some way of filtering people out. Also, Law and Medicine are qualifying degrees so the components matter much more.

So basically, it depends on your degree- and who knows how much detail employers in the future will want to know about your education.
Because they literally don't count. They don't count towards your final degree grade and they don't go on your CV. No employer will ever see them. The first year is there to introduce you to both the course and the uni way of things.
Original post by CodeJack
Because they literally don't count. They don't count towards your final degree grade and they don't go on your CV. No employer will ever see them. The first year is there to introduce you to both the course and the uni way of things.

I despair. Have you not read the rest of the thread, which shows that every sentence you have written is misleading?
Who says that ?

Every day matters.
Every thought, action, has consequences.

What else would they be doing their first year ? Play video games, drink, and watch TV and party ?
I'm sort of glad first year doesn't count, I messed up big time. I passed the year though so it's not too bad.

I really want to do well for second and third year, I'll never get a first but I'm aiming for a 2:1!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
In this context 'doesn't count' is taken to mean 'does not contribute toward your final degree classification', so, to that extent, it can be true.

However, especially for law (which you mention), when you apply for Vac Schemes a major part of your application will be your first year grade, so in the context of getting a TC in your third year (and ultimately a job by being retained by your firm) then your first year results do matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending