The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation: Everything you need to know

The other thread is four years old and pretty out of date. A few new halls have been built since it was written. So I figured I'd make a nice new accommodation thread. :smile: Thread style shamelessly copied from the St Andrews accommodation thread by ImperceptibleNinja as I liked it.

Disclaimer

First

What's in the rooms

First year accommodation and applying for

Insurance offer holders / Clearing or Adjustment entry

Choosing a hall

Private housing (incomplete)

Extra fees

Short guide to each hall (incomplete)

Which halls have ensuite/WHB rooms?

Can I bring a car?

FAQ

Will add more to this if/when I think of what, and when it's not 1am.

Obviously this is incomplete at the moment, so, current students, I need your help. :smile: Anything you want added, particularly to "Notes" and "Students' views" for each hall, either post it here or PM it to me and I'll edit it in. For the "Students' views" part, please only give your opinion on the hall if you have stayed in it in either 2009-2010 or 2010-2011, so the information is up to date. Also, if there's anything I've missed out or got wrong, tell me and I'll add or change it.

People who've helped with this thread:

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The new for 2014 entry "what hall should I choose" table.

If you know if you want catered or self catered, an en-suite or not, being on campus or off campus, and your approximate budget, this should hopefully be a nice quick way to narrow it down :yep:

Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
William Morris is awesome :sexface: It's pretty much the perfect distance from everything, town is easily walkable, and so is the library/Wolfson, and os the closest hall to the union. Very social hall and amazing prices. I've been in the en suite this year which has been good, but overall I would recommend the WHBs, much cheaper and for some bizarre reason people with WHB get weekly cleaners to clean their kitchens, toilets and showers whilst ensuite do not. :dontknow:
Reply 3
Great thread! Just as a side note, Forest Court and John Phillips (aka JP) are postgrad-only halls, typically. And Forest Court is about 5mins away from campus.
Should probably add a note that the majority of rooms in Butler are en-suite, but there are shared rooms available.
Updated, thanks. :smile:
Reply 6
Oh yeah forgot to mention all Bill Mo rooms have double beds :sexface:
Original post by Phobia27
Oh yeah forgot to mention all Bill Mo rooms have double beds :sexface:

Do you mean actual double beds, or 4ft beds which aren't technically doubles?
In Royce there are three types of room: standard WHB, ensuite, ensuite 4ft (some may say these are the nicest, they're the biggest out of the three).

You won't be sharing with more than 8 to 2 showers and 2 toilets in Royce and i've never had to queue when being in standard accommodation :smile:

Butler have insane facilities in their common room.
Cheers, added. :smile:
Reply 10
Probably also worth adding that Butler's the only hall on campus that offers twin rooms (two beds, one room). The Deluxe rooms are the same size, but with only one bed in them (single occupancy in other words)
Reply 11
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Do you mean actual double beds, or 4ft beds which aren't technically doubles?

4ft, but they're about 20cm off being a double and everyone bring double bed sheets anyway so I just call them double. You'd have a tough time finding sheets and bedding for 4ft beds :ahee:
It's worth noting that there are "hall subs" which you must pay in addition to your rent. These vary from £60-£100+ depending on the hall. They are set by the hall committee and are compulsory.

Failure to pay hall subs is considered a debt against the university which will prevent you from graduating.

These subs help to fund hall socials, sport, etc. The more you get involved in your hall, the more you get back from your subs, note though, that even if you do no hall socials, no hall sport, never use the common room, you are still required to pay the subs.
On top of your hall subs you also get charged a room bond AND you'll be sent another request for money when they let you know there was an additional fee for the week you spent here during freshers week which isn't included in the overall price (in royce for standard rooms last year this was about £50ish - it appeared where the freshers subs were originally in the prices pdf)
Thanks both of you, added a new section, "Extra fees".
Reply 15
Hey guys, does anyone know when do we apply for accommodation ? I already firmed Loughborough :biggrin: x
Original post by LY9
Hey guys, does anyone know when do we apply for accommodation ? I already firmed Loughborough :biggrin: x

You'll be told in early May exactly when you can apply. If you're offer is unconditional, it's late May. If you're offer is conditional, it's early June.
Thanks for making this thread, it's a great help :smile: I swear every time I think about accommodation my decisions change and I think 'Ooh but MAYBE...THIS would be beter' etc lol.

Do the wardens make sure UGs are put together in flats etc or is it normal for you to be next door to a few 2nd/3rd years? e.g. as Rigg-Rut has very few rooms compared to most other halls, if they get filled up with returners and unconditional students and there are only a few spaces for conditionals, and would that not be as sociable or is it generally not a problem? x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Thanks for making this thread, it's a great help :smile: I swear every time I think about accommodation my decisions change and I think 'Ooh but MAYBE...THIS would be beter' etc lol.

Do the wardens make sure UGs are put together in flats etc or is it normal for you to be next door to a few 2nd/3rd years? e.g. as Rigg-Rut has very few rooms compared to most other halls, if they get filled up with returners and unconditional students and there are only a few spaces for conditionals, and would that not be as sociable or is it generally not a problem? x

As far as I know, the wardens try to keep freshers together as they're all in the same boat of not knowing anyone. When you've applied you fill out a fire safety questionnaire and fill in a few details (things like hobbies and interests) and the warden tries to match you up with other people.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
As far as I know, the wardens try to keep freshers together as they're all in the same boat of not knowing anyone. When you've applied you fill out a fire safety questionnaire and fill in a few details (things like hobbies and interests) and the warden tries to match you up with other people.

Ahh that's pretty cool. I'm trying not to get excited or too curious because if I don't get the grades in August I'll be gutted. Thanks for the reply x

Latest

Trending

Trending