The Student Room Group

Is it hard to form a band at University/College?

Hi, I am thinking of forming a rock band at uni or college (don't know where I'll be when I will leave school this year). So is it hard to find good musicians? If you have experience of being a musician in a band during your studies, please share that experience (what it's like to be in a band? Are the gigs great? Are there lot of student-fans who listen to you?).
Reply 1
I'm finding it hard :/
Some universities have good music scenes and others don't unfortunately.
The problem is not just finding people interested in the same music, but finding people capable of playing the instruments required. I have many friends who play guitar - drummers however seem to be impossible to find.
So difficult in fact that I'm on the point of buying an electric drum kit and learning to play myself.

Despite this there are quite a few bands at my university, some of which are actually quite good, so they must be able to find musicians somehow. Perhaps you need to post an ad on campus?
Reply 2
I found it very easy. I just asked around my hall and there were loads of musicians to choose from. Then just book the practice room and get writing songs! We practiced twice a week, 3 hours at a time, and did a gig every month or so during term time. We recorded about 10 songs professionally over the course of the two years we were together.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, some of the best moments of my undergrad degree were on stage. It gets you lots of girls, and its pretty cool when you actually get genuine fans who know all the words to your songs and stage dive and mosh and stuff, and cheer when you start playing the opening riff to their favourite song. We were also the support act for the support act for Lostprophets one time, that was cool.

edit: you might want to see if your university's band soc has a musician finder facility. Most of them seem to have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I've been involved with one band and it all just came to a slow stop. We all had things to do, places to be, revision etc. I'm at college btw.

I could see it being easier at Uni as everyone will live within a certain area, usually. But still like the person said above, its just if everyone stays interested.
Reply 4
I am studying at secondary school now, but just looking forward to my future. 3 years ago I had a chance to form a band with my friends. But we hadn't found the drummer, later one friend became an alcoholic while other lost his interest in rock. We broke up this way after just two rehearsals. Since then I've been making music for myself. I've written more than 20 songs and I can't wait to unleash them.
Reply 5
Original post by py0alb
I found it very easy. I just asked around my hall and there were loads of musicians to choose from. Then just book the practice room and get writing songs! We practiced twice a week, 3 hours at a time, and did a gig every month or so during term time. We recorded about 10 songs professionally over the course of the two years we were together.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, some of the best moments of my undergrad degree were on stage. It gets you lots of girls, and its pretty cool when you actually get genuine fans who know all the words to your songs and stage dive and mosh and stuff, and cheer when you start playing the opening riff to their favourite song. We were also the support act for the support act for Lostprophets one time, that was cool.

edit: you might want to see if your university's band soc has a musician finder facility. Most of them seem to have.

Can you tell me your band name? I would love to hear your music.
Reply 6
Original post by nazgulas
Can you tell me your band name? I would love to hear your music.

This was 10 years ago (2000 - 2002). I doubt there is still any of our stuff floating around.
Reply 7
I found it pretty easy too - haven't seen that many musicians around generally but if you look in the right places it's not a problem (open mic nights, union gigs etc - most people there will probably play some instrument!)

but yes - uni work is a problem for all of us, we've just stopped band practice now for a couple of months due to exam season for example.. although this to me is a positive; last year I was in another band outside of uni and they wanted to practice once or twice a week with regular gigs all year - I had to quit because I couldn't keep up when the uni workload was heavy.
i found it easy to attach myself to an all-female band! ^_^......... apart form the vocalist, who had experience being in....a choir,the others were very much beginners on their respective instruments.

we only ever uploaded one song onto our very own 'myspace' page....but soon after that we all graduated from our courses and lived away from one another.

.......ahh,spending hours upon hours fiddling with effects pedals...... goodtimes. x

Quick Reply

Latest