The Student Room Group

The Labour Party: Once a party of fascists, always a party of fascist

In 1975 six men (the 'Ferrybridge Six') were dismissed from their jobs because of the introduction of the closed shop and were denied unemployment benefit. The then Secretary of State for Employment Michael Foot said that: "A person who declines to fall in with new conditions of employment which result from a collective agreement may well be considered to have brought about his own dismissal". Tebbit accused Foot of "pure undiluted fascism and [it] left Mr. Foot exposed as a bitter opponent of freedom and liberty". The next day (2 December) The Times first leader —titled "IS MR. FOOT A FASCIST?"—quoted Tebbit and went on:

Mr. Foot's doctrine is intolerable because it is a violation of the liberty of the ordinary man in his job. Mr. Tebbit is therefore using fascism in a legitimate descriptive sense when he accuses Mr. Foot of it. We perhaps need to revive the phrase "social fascism" to describe the modern British development of the corporate state and its bureaucratic attack on personal liberty. The question is not therefore: "is Mr. Foot a fascist?" but "does Mr. Foot know he is a fascist?"

And yes Teveth this is aimed at you.
Reply 1
the Tories, once a party of toffs always a party of toffs
Lib Dem, once a party of nooobs......now just noooobs
The Tories.

:lol: :rofl: :facepalm: :facepalm2:

/thread.

On a more serious note: from where is 'always a party of facist' derived? From what I can see nothing has been explained to that end in the OP....
Reply 4
Original post by paddy__power
The Tories.

:lol: :rofl: :facepalm: :facepalm2:

/thread.

On a more serious note: from where is 'always a party of facist' derived? From what I can see nothing has been explained to that end in the OP....

Fascists forced people to do as they wished and Foot did to except as the Unions wanted.
Calling any political ideology which you don't like 'fascist' should get old by the time you are like 13, biggest cliché criticism from people who don't know **** ever
Original post by -2D-
Fascists forced people to do as they wished and Foot did to except as the Unions wanted.

How is that relevant to today at all? To five years ago? How will it be true in five years? You can't say X will always be Y without qualifying it. You've used one, tenuous, example and that's it.
Reply 7
This thread is so wrong, I'm not even going to begin trying to argue with who-ever agrees with the title.
:holmes: Nothing like a bit of the old reductio ad Hitlerum for political gain
Intolerant and often controlling/restricting, and under Tony Blair passing too many laws to give work to the legal profession. That alone does not create fascism and the Labour party are not fascists.

Their approach alienated many of those who should have been their keenest supporters, and the opportunity given to them in 1997 was wasted.
Reply 10
To those who haven't realised (Paddy_Power this is my response) this is meant as a joke in reference to The Tories: Once a party of bigots, always a party of bigots (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1582688) thread by Teveth so I don't actually believe what I said
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
wow you people are seriously easy to troll. This is obviously a joke and -2D- even posted in the Teveth thread about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending