The Student Room Group

want to study economics but don't have maths. is it a good idea?

Hi, I am currently in year 12 and thinking of studying economics at uni.
The subjects i do are English, History, Economics and German.

I have found out that maths seems to be vital for most economic courses. I got an A at gcse but that was with a lot of work! I am thinking of applying to uni's which dont ask for maths as a requirement, but i am concerned the content would be too hard for me. Also economics is a very popular course so would there be a risk of those with maths getting chosen above me?

The main thing i like about economics is the social side, finding solutions to economic problems and i find topical economics thats in the news interesting so current affairs.

When starting 6th form i choose my subjects so i could go into journalism. However after doing work experience, it was a career which i thought was not for me. I still have a keen interest in media. Could i combine this interest with economcs?

Should I take AS Maths in Year 13, and would this help me get into uni?
Does anyone do economics at uni, and can you tell me if i would struggle?
Also should i consider a combined/joint course instead ie. economics and business maybe?

I'd be greatful of peoples opinions on whether I should go for an economics related degree or not.
Thanks xxx
Reply 1
If you are interested in journalism and the more social side of economic theory then a BA in Economics and Politics might be a good idea for you. Unfortunately (for people who don't like maths) a lot of courses do require A-level maths and even those that don't still generally have a high maths content (when they are Bsc) so I think it would be best for you to combine economics with either politics, history or international relations to make sure that there is not too much maths.

I strongly advise you do AS maths in year 13 if applying to an economics course straight or combined with something less mathsy, it will show you have commitment to study economics even if it's not your favourite subject :smile:
Yes you could probably do it if you are at A standard from GCSE, I would recommend doing AS level Maths. You won't be able to get into places like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick etc however at a lot of other unis if you have good grades in your other subjects you will be OK.

Economics is a broad subject, when people say you can't do Economics without doing maths, what they mean is the more advanced mathematical parts you need to have done at least A level probably Further Maths at A level. However to do 'intermediate level' microeconomics and macroeconomics, which is what undergraduate is, you only really need A level standard maths which is why some unis will accept you without a full A level and just put you on maths classes that cover A level work. The unis that are more fussy about you having A grade in A level maths and prefer you to have Further Maths, will be the ones where they put you on maths classes which are above A level and really done to prepare people who want to do MSc in Economics after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending