The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry to jump on post but I see alot of posts about people using there own car? I thought you had too have someone sat with you at all times too drive your own car ???
My test is in a months time but my car doesn't have a working speedo. Its a mini one and replacing the speedo would cost £400 so instead I have a separate HUD in the drivers position. It is very accurate and works great and can be seen by anyone in the passenger seat clearly. I was wondering if this is acceptable to do my test in? The car is very safe and everything else works great.
hi people could I take my own car its a audi tt would that be ok
Original post by emmyding dong

I was under the impression that a recent change in rules (after the date this thread was posted) required all cars used for tests to have dual controls and two interior mirrors.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
I was under the impression that a recent change in rules (after the date this thread was posted) required all cars used for tests to have dual controls and two interior mirrors.

I don't think you need dual controls but you do need one of those stick on interior mirrors
i im in the same way as you my own car been driving for just over 4 years now on a daily basis my test is at the end of this month im having a few refresher courses with the driving instructor and i can not get used to her car at all due to driving my own so she said that i could take the test in my own car which i would be more comfortable with knowing my own car my advise would be do what you feel comfy with you can only do your best hope you pass if not dont stay down get up and do it again x
Original post by emmyding dong

You can use your own car, providing it meets the requirements on the website: https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car
I was planning to use my own car for my test. I just read the requirements on:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car
Can you use your own car if it has Park assist?
Reply 28
Yes, disable it. I'm assuming it's a focus or an Audi. The concept is to see if you have control
Accuracy and effective observations.
Original post by Coomby32

Original post by IDrive
Yes, disable it. I'm assuming it's a focus or an Audi. The concept is to see if you have control
Accuracy and effective observations.

Quoting the reply so that you get a notification Coomby!
Reply 30
Make sure you have insurance to cover test date and L plates. Tell the examiner you have no second mirror ( they have soared in the centre) don't need dual controls. Just make sure it's all legit. No cuts in tyres tread depth ok etc and you're good to go.
Reply 31
REMEMBER to make sure you have a licenced
Driver with you at the test centre and if you pass you're NOT insured on YOURE car!
Reply 32
Hey folks, I've just found this thread as I'm having trouble trying to find an answer to my problem.

DVSA says I need to have adequate insurance for taking my test in my own car but I can't find an insurer that will do this as there are soooo many companies.

Who did you guys use to cover your test?
Did you find out if you needed to notify the test centre or not?
Reply 34
Original post by Amywaddington
Did you find out if you needed to notify the test centre or not?

No; you do not. Just ensure you're insured to drive the car, the car is road legal (would pass an MOT), and have a secondary mirror on the off-chance the test centre have none available.
Original post by OliCad
Hey folks, I've just found this thread as I'm having trouble trying to find an answer to my problem.

DVSA says I need to have adequate insurance for taking my test in my own car but I can't find an insurer that will do this as there are soooo many companies.

Who did you guys use to cover your test?

Covered
Original post by IWMTom
No; you do not. Just ensure you're insured to drive the car, the car is road legal (would pass an MOT), and have a secondary mirror on the off-chance the test centre have none available.

Thank you so much
I'm a driving instructor and yes you can take your test in your own care provided its a saloon car ie not convertible or something like that. It needs to be road legal so taxed MOT and all tyres good and all bulbs working.You will need L Plates and a mirror for the examiner.You will need a supervising driver to take you there they should over 21 and have passed their test at least 3 years ago.

If you need some more info go to this blog :-

http://drivinglessonsgloucester.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by Coomby32

Yes. My instructors car had park assist. You are allowed to use any assistance the car has built into it as that's what they are for! If you did your test in a Tesla with semi autonomous mode, for example, you'd be allowed to use it.
Reply 39
Original post by MeYou2Night
Yes. My instructors car had park assist. You are allowed to use any assistance the car has built into it as that's what they are for! If you did your test in a Tesla with semi autonomous mode, for example, you'd be allowed to use it.

On the contrary, the DSA won't allow a car like that to be used on a test. A learner must demonstrate the skill to drive adequately on any car, not just one with extra electronics.

Latest

Trending

Trending