The Student Room Group

Which A-Level is harder: Maths or English Literature?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LOL English Literature is much much easier than maths. I got an A* for English Literature at GCSE and As at AS/A Level (before A*s were introduced for A Levels). I didn't even put any effort in to get the grades I got and the lessons weren't hard at all. It was like going to the cinema
Maths on the other hand I only got an A grade at GCSE. Maths is so much harder than English
Original post by Baula
A teacher once said to my mum that our minds are kind of set in fixed ways of thinking. If you're good at logical subjects like Maths and Science, you're usually bad at English and language subjects and vice versa. I don't know how true this is but I have always found it funny because amongst my own friends this has tended to be the case.

I personally find English a lot easier than maths but I think the main problem I have with maths is that I always read the numbers in the wrong order so meh.. :P Like the question could talk about the number 253 but I would read it as 352 :s-smilie:

you might be discalculic! you can get 25% extra time for that you know, its like dyslexia
Original post by kayyyy_x
I take Maths and I find it really difficult, one of my best friends takes English and finds it really difficult...

I always moan about Maths and she always moans about English and my stock response is "Basically you dislike English because you get a lot of work and your teacher is horrible, I hate maths because I can't do it." and she insists that English is way harder than Maths (Even though she got a C for Maths GCSE.....) and that Maths would be a walk in the park compared to English... and then my other friend who takes Maths but not English agrees that English is probably way harder than Maths.

And I'm just sat there like :facepalm:, I get that English is a lot of work but the work that's actually set is pretty easy to understand, if you don't understand Maths, you're fu.cked.

Soo which one do you think is harder?

I would say English is harder because I hate learning languages. It is so boring.
However, as a whole, Math is way tougher. Because English does not requires a lot of critical thinking. You need a lot of memorizations. That's it. Math on the other hand needed a lot of logic. In order to understand the logic behind a formula, you need to have a certain amount of intelligence to take the course. It is not a no brainer at all, why Math entry requirement in university is always higher compared to languages. At least that is what is going on in my country.
A Level maths has 40% A*/A, English 25%...
In math, you can study hard and get an excellent grade. The grades that I get from my essays are the sole discretion of my teacher. Therefore, I can never achieve an A. This is the main reason why I hate English class, and it is a prominent roadblock to my success. I use these "big words" in my essay, and I always get feedback that my essays are not coherent. This is a load of crap. I will despise english class if this does not change.
I've done both. Well I don't find any particularly difficult, English was pretty easy, I coasted through it and got a B. Maths I have only had difficulty with some topics on C3 so far but it is mostly pretty simple if you are patient when learning the content and past papers.
English literature
Original post by username3046368
A Level maths has 40% A*/A, English 25%...

I definitely agree. Math is way easier than english. The people that said math is harder are not thinking this through. In math, you can study hard and get an A. In english, wait to be screwed over by your teacher. you wa I can never seem to get an a in english. I have frequently recieved an A in math.

You can study for a test, but you can NEVER study for an essay.
Original post by Alexiel
LOL English Literature is much much easier than maths. I got an A* for English Literature at GCSE and As at AS/A Level (before A*s were introduced for A Levels). I didn't even put any effort in to get the grades I got and the lessons weren't hard at all. It was like going to the cinema
Maths on the other hand I only got an A grade at GCSE. Maths is so much harder than English

I strongly disagree. Getting an A in math is quite straightforward if you study and put your time in it. Getting an A in english is a whole different story. You have to look professional, be liked by your teacher, appear to have some talent, and finally be able to write good. Getting an A in english is FAR more strenuous than getting an A in math.
Original post by kayyyy_x
I take Maths and I find it really difficult, one of my best friends takes English and finds it really difficult...

I always moan about Maths and she always moans about English and my stock response is "Basically you dislike English because you get a lot of work and your teacher is horrible, I hate maths because I can't do it." and she insists that English is way harder than Maths (Even though she got a C for Maths GCSE.....) and that Maths would be a walk in the park compared to English... and then my other friend who takes Maths but not English agrees that English is probably way harder than Maths.

And I'm just sat there like :facepalm:, I get that English is a lot of work but the work that's actually set is pretty easy to understand, if you don't understand Maths, you're fu.cked.

Soo which one do you think is harder?

Have you ever thought that you can't do math, because you are loathsome quitter? Disclaimer: No offense
I absolutely hate writing an essay. I could stay up all night and not write a single word. I hate writing essays. When I was writing an essay about shakespeare, I spent 4 hours staring at the screen not knowing how to write. Shakespeare is impossible to understand even with "no fear shakespeare". Essays are killing my sleep and making my life miserable.
(edited 6 years ago)
id say english, i found maths hard at first but once you get into swing of things its a matter of knowing what you're doing.
I think nether is hard I think writing is hard

Quick Reply

Latest