The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

lilsunflower
Woohooo! :smile: My dad made me a wonderful deal today. Actually, it wasnt a deal, just a privilege.

He suggested I talk to my teachers about my university choices, and THEN, I go to the UK by myself in March to look at the universities I'm interested in.

I'm just thrilled by this suggestion because I believe that it is paramount that I choose the university that I feel most at 'home' in. It's so hard making a choice when I'm confined to 2-d perspectives from the computer or prospectus. And everyone's opinions differ so greatly.

Right now, I haven't confirmed this trip because it will cost me 3000 pounds. My dad has given me the greenlight, but I feel horrible spending so much when I haven't done anything to deserve it. I'll try to get my roomie (who's also been accepted at the unis I've been accepted at) to come along, and at least we can split taxi fares, hotel costs etc. Plus, I won't get lost :smile:

I'm looking forward to it, if it ever materialises.

xoxo

That seems a logical idea. I'm surprised you didn't think of it earlier to be honest.

J.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
hornblower
That seems a logical idea. I'm surprised you didn't think of it earlier to be honest.

J.

Didn't feel too good spending that much money. When you convert it, it's 10,000BND... and that's more than a month's salary of an upper middle class professional (those working in the higher echlons of MNCs like Shell). I still feel horrible spending that much.

But if finance weren't an issue.... UK HERE I COME!
In March? That means you can go to the Durham open day to help you decide whether its durham or nottingham that you like :smile: It really is quite difficult to decide on whether you like a uni or not just by its website lol
Reply 63
kenkennykenken
In March? That means you can go to the Durham open day to help you decide whether its durham or nottingham that you like :smile: It really is quite difficult to decide on whether you like a uni or not just by its website lol

Yeh, websites and all that stuff are just so commercial! Like the Downing website for Cambridge was really tacky, but I LOVED THE COLLEGE to bits. Being there really made a difference. It was so different from what I expected, and I bet I'll be saying the same thing when I reach Durham/Nottingham.
lilsunflower
Didn't feel too good spending that much money. When you convert it, it's 10,000BND... and that's more than a month's salary of an upper middle class professional (those working in the higher echlons of MNCs like Shell). I still feel horrible spending that much.

But if finance weren't an issue.... UK HERE I COME!

I think it's worth it. You're going to spend at least three years of your life studying here and the rest of your life will be affected by your decision. Think of this as an investment, in your future. This the best way to make an informed decision.

J.
Reply 65
hornblower
I think it's worth it. You're going to spend at least three years of your life studying here and the rest of your life will be affected by your decision. Think of this as an investment, in your future. This the best way to make an informed decision.

J.

I totally agree. Especially right now where I'm in a totally confounded and lost situation. My dad decided to offer this option coz' I've been so fickle. If I can persuade my roomie to come along, I'll definitely go. Afterall, I'm not too bothered about A2 Exams. My 3 years in Uni are waaay more important. Thanks for the advice.
lilsunflower
Afterall, I'm not too bothered about A2 Exams. My 3 years in Uni are waaay more important.

Haha! I'm not too bothered either. Remember though that A2's determine whether you make the required grades!

J.
Reply 67
hornblower
Haha! I'm not too bothered either. Remember though that A2's determine whether you make the required grades!

J.

I've got 3 100s from AS (flukes of course) so A2 seems less daunting. Also, since I got rejected from Cam (who would most certainly have asked for AAA), my highest requirements are AAB from a total of 5 subjects (they wouldn't let me count GS). But pride comes before a fall, so I am determined to work really hard........ when the inspiration comes :smile:

I got my exam timetable just the other day, and my exams span from 17th May to 1st July!! I've got 15 to sit + 1 AEA. Thankfully they're all spread quite far apart.

Good Luck to Everyone else :biggrin:
lilsunflower
I've got 3 100s from AS (flukes of course) so A2 seems less daunting. Also, since I got rejected from Cam (who would most certainly have asked for AAA), my highest requirements are AAB from a total of 5 subjects (they wouldn't let me count GS). But pride comes before a fall, so I am determined to work really hard........ when the inspiration comes :smile:

I got my exam timetable just the other day, and my exams span from 17th May to 1st July!! I've got 15 to sit + 1 AEA. Thankfully they're all spread quite far apart.

Good Luck to Everyone else :biggrin:

yeah dude watch out, i know a guy who got AAAAA at AS but fell to BBBBB, that said he was an idiot but luckily ucl still let him in for medicine
Reply 69
rah
yeah dude watch out, i know a guy who got AAAAA at AS but fell to BBBBB, that said he was an idiot but luckily ucl still let him in for medicine

I know.. I will keep working hard. :smile: Being too confident is a sin.
Reply 70
Many Unis give international students lower offers. My friend who did her A-levels abroad applied for the same course as me (law) and got offered BBB from Manchester and ABC from Durham, whilst I got offered ABB for both. Don't listen to all the people who try and put Durham down, they are just boring me now, it's all been done before on this site, and they have been proved wrong on several occassions, and all the posts are getting quite repetative. They quite clearly don't know what they're talking about. I'm at Durham now, and I love it, I wouldn't change it for the world, and if I was applying again I wouldn't go anywhere else. Hope to see lots of you in Durham in October, where Amy, Michelle and I will be organising your freshers week!

iiikewldude
howcome all ur offers are so low?

I think for uk students the unis u applied to would ask for atleast AAB
Reply 71
Its all a load of crap anyway. Any of those unis are good and will give you great prospects so go for whichever one you like the best.
A group of people here doing a postgrad with me did their undergrads at Durham and all loved it.
As long as you go to a top 20 uni and get a decent grade you will be fine.
Reply 72
walks
Thanx very much AmyBlue and Ave Han for info on cuths! got an offer from them, but wasnt even gonna consider it. Guess i was put off by the idea of it being a college where everyone lives out, but now its my first choice over Warwick and York! any advice u could give on how to get sum good accomodation please?

cant wait for the march open day now...

You're welcome. That's really cool! And it really is as good as we say it is! We live in the Avenue which is fantasic. It's close to everything, and an amazing big old house. I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else, and if you want a single room, you've got much more chance of getting one there than on the bailey. What subject are you doing? If you're doing sciences I can give you some advice on properties close to the science site.
Reply 73
lilsunflower
oh gosh.. all this mudslinging at durham is just scaring me to bits. EVERYONE likes Nottingham, but some LOVE Durham and some HATE it. Has anyone who has actually been to Durham hated it?

I'm just terrified. Plus, how is accomodation allocated? If I'm stuck in a shared grotty room, I have to stay there and pay the same amount as someone with a single ensuite room?

i don't like nottigham, and neither does ave han, it seems dull.

i dunno how it works in other colleges, but at cuths you pay less for a shared room if that helps.

oooooh and to the guy who is choosing durham now yay! i'm so glad we made a difference!!!! you don't apply for accomodation until about 3 weeks before you get here so we will give you lots of tips around then if you need them!!!!
Reply 74
AveHan and AmyBlue... you guys are angels! :smile:

I haven't made any firm decisions yet, but I'm saving that until I actually get to see both Nottingham and Durham. I'm certainly looking forward! :smile:
Reply 75
AveHan and AmyBlue... you guys are angels!

I'll second that!

I'm doing history, so the bailey would actually be closest to my department i think. i'm guessing the Avenue is a nice house in a street not too far out - sounds good!

how many people are there in most houses (or in yours)? Is this your first year or did you live in the bailey then? just how bad is the competition - i'd really like to live in the bailey, but if there is a very small chance then its probably best to try and get a really nice house. just a little bit worried bout being isolated...

Latest