The Student Room Group

Biology or Chemistry A Level?

So I'm doing Maths, Physics and Art and I need another science except I can't choose at all between Chemistry or Biology?
I was looking at doing science at uni, probably physics/maths so I just need another science A level.
I don't know which would be more useful to go with physics and I can't choose between Chem, which is more complicated or Bio, which means more memorising.
Um... thanks if you can help.
Reply 1
Choose whichever you do better in and enjoy more. Art will crush you with its workload, so you might want to take that into account as well.
Reply 2
what do you want to do at uni? because some courses have certain subject requirements, but if it doesn't matter then I would say biology because it's so much easier however you use more maths in chemistry but you do a little in biology too.
IMO Chemistry's better (both as an A-Level subject to learn and to have backing a physics degree). It depends on what kind of person you are. But the fact you're planning on taking Maths and Physics tells me you're better at figuring things out than remembering things, which would mean you're more suited to chemistry. That's what I'm like, however I do both chemistry & biology, as well as physics, maths and further. I revised most for Biology and ended up getting the worst mark in it (still an A but a low one) - just because my brain works better when it's trying to apply logic rather than applying memorised things.
Reply 4
I'd say Chemistry is the better of the two - goes well with Physics.

Personal preference, really.
I would say chemistry, but your options look like.. ouch.
Reply 6
i agree with a post above that you should choose the one you will enjoy, but cos i do both biology and chemistry, i'd recommend chemistry :biggrin: it's really easy and straight forward, alot of calculations tho, but you take maths so that wont be a problem!
Reply 7
Original post by JaaN-x
i agree with a post above that you should choose the one you will enjoy, but cos i do both biology and chemistry, i'd recommend chemistry :biggrin: it's really easy and straight forward, alot of calculations tho, but you take maths so that wont be a problem!

Wouldn't say it's "really easy".
Reply 8
Original post by mobius323
Wouldn't say it's "really easy".

hmm yeah maybe :P but no honestly, the amount of passpapers that are available are really helpful, and its just a matter of practice to get a really good grade!
Reply 9
Original post by JaaN-x
hmm yeah maybe :P but no honestly, the amount of passpapers that are available are really helpful, and its just a matter of practice to get a really good grade!

You must not be doing the Edexcel course. It changed in 2008 so there's only two years of papers prior to this year.
Chemistry will go better with Physics than biology will.

Quick Reply

Latest