The Student Room Group

The 5th and 6th Year Choices Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
Yeah I know. I didn't do history at standard grade, and I didnt want to crash anything in fifth year, and also it was in the same column as biology, and I wanted to take a science.

Em, not really. I'd be too scared of the speaking exam with he examiner, and I'm not so good at reading. I might scrape an A at higher but I can't do AH.

Okay, I just thought that maybe French could be useful if you decided to do International relations with a year abroad or something.

Your choices seem good though.
Reply 41
Original post by chr1stopher11

If people do want to study at universities then they should do their own research rather than reading something every written by me

Fixed for u bro :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
I'm in fifth year, and currently study higher maths, English, modern studies, French and biology. I am thinking of studying international relations at university. Are my sixth year choices good for this? They are: advanced English, advanced moddies, higher history and higher psychology. Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm probably going to be applying to International Relations/Politics too (but with a language) :smile: I'm taking AH French, AH History (hopefully, it doens't normally run at my school but they're looking into it), Higher Modern Studies and Int 2 Spanish next year. Failing that, I'll probably be doing Higher Psychology if the timetable allows!
I'm going into S6, and I want to crash Higher Physics, and do 3 Advanced Highers. Maths, Chemistry and Biology. (wanted to do AH French instead of AH Maths, but can't choose that because of the columns)

Should I go through with it? Teachers are telling me it will be far too much work for me...but I want to try it.
Whatcha think? I want to study medicine...so...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mckinnon94
I'm going into S6, and I want to crash Higher Physics, and do 3 Advanced Highers. Maths, Chemistry and Biology. (wanted to do AH French instead of AH Maths, but can't choose that because of the columns)

Should I go through with it? Teachers are telling me it will be far too much work for me...but I want to try it.

There are people in my school planning to do four AHs. If you're planning to do medicine, you're probably pretty bright, so 3 AHs and a Higher shouldn't be too much of an issue. You probably won't have many free periods, though. If you're happy with working hard I expect you'll be fine. Not sure how to convince your teachers, though. :smile:
Reply 45
I'm kindof thinking about having a more less 'easy' year in 6th year and do only 3 subjects. So I'm either planning to do 2AH and a Higher or 3AH; I still can't make up my mind : )
Original post by mckinnon94

I did 3AH's and crashed Higher Bio in sixth year.

As long as you manage your time well then you should be fine. I would recommend taking 4 subjects if you can, simply because you will get a better selection score based on predicted grades.

If you get a conditional it will be at most BBC so you don't have to work ridiculously hard, just make sure you pass :smile:
Reply 47
First post :smile:

I'm going into S6 next year so I need to pick my choices. I want to take 3 Advanced Highers to keep my options open if I want to go to England to study.

At the moment I take Higher French, Maths, History, English and Geography. I'm considering them all for AH. For those subjects I'm getting A, B, A, A/B, B (respectively).

I'm very good at French but I find it boring. I quite like Geography, but I only really like the human side to it. History is my favorite subject and I will definitely do this at AH - the topics my school do for it look interesting. Maths is ok, I'm getting a solid B but I don't love the subject. The only reason why I'm doing ok at English is because there is not Shakespeare and there is close reading - I've heard there is no close reading in AH English??

In terms of university I'm think of economics or history.

The columns are:

A - English/Maths
B - French
C - History
D - Geography/Higher Economics
E - (nothing I want to do in this column)

Any help would be appreciated :smile: Thanks
Original post by rn19132
The only reason why I'm doing ok at English is because there is not Shakespeare and there is close reading - I've heard there is no close reading in AH English??

There's a textual analysis option, which increases your reliance upon the exam, but may be similar enough to close reading for you to consider it.

In terms of university I'm think of economics or history.

The columns are:

A - English/Maths
B - French
C - History
D - Geography/Higher Economics
E - (nothing I want to do in this column)

Any help would be appreciated :smile: Thanks

If you're considering economics, maths will be greatly to your benefit, although you won't be crucified without it. Do you know where in particular you're thinking of applying? Higher Economics isn't necessary. I'd suggest choosing from Maths/French/Economics, Maths/French/History and Maths/History/Economics. The first would be aimed at economics, the second and third at either.
Reply 49
Original post by TheUnbeliever
There's a textual analysis option, which increases your reliance upon the exam, but may be similar enough to close reading for you to consider it.

If you're considering economics, maths will be greatly to your benefit, although you won't be crucified without it. Do you know where in particular you're thinking of applying? Higher Economics isn't necessary. I'd suggest choosing from Maths/French/Economics, Maths/French/History and Maths/History/Economics. The first would be aimed at economics, the second and third at either.

Ok. I did a textual analysis NAB and did alright in it (20/30). I suppose it is close enough to close reading. I was thinking of 2 or 3 universities in Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh and maybe somewhere else) and perhaps LSE or UCL in London (maybe King's if I decide on History), also Manchester and Birmingham look ok, but I'm not too sure as I haven't really looked at universities in detail, I've more looked at the courses.

If I did 2 AHs and Higher economics would I be disadvantaged if I were to apply to English universities? I thought they always want 3 AHs?
Original post by rn19132
If I did 2 AHs and Higher economics would I be disadvantaged if I were to apply to English universities? I thought they always want 3 AHs?

Not always. See individual universities' online prospectuses for details (or email; admissions tutors and secretaries are usually fairly happy to help). However, LSE is top tier, and you could well find yourself disadvantaged there. You might be interested to note that, as I suggested, they list maths as a required subject at AH. I don't know about UCL.

Of course, you definitely won't close any doors by taking 3 AHs, and school-level economics isn't necessary, as I say.
Reply 51
I'm taking...

AH Maths
AH Physics
H Geology (So lucky)
Original post by Evan7788
I'm taking...

AH Maths
AH Physics
H Geology (So lucky)

Wannabe geophysicist? :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Wannabe geophysicist? :smile:

Yes :wink:
Reply 54
Next year I'm doing:

AH Maths
AH Physics
AH History
Higher Chemistry

(plus Higher Spanish in my own time. I've been learning the language in my own time for DofE and am now just obsessed.)

What I wanna ask is if anyone's doing the scottish bac??? (in science or i could do languages as I'll have an AH in Gaidhlig and a Higher in French from this year)

I'm in two minds...

it seems a lot of work, do you think its worth it? Anyone else considering it?
Original post by candide
it seems a lot of work, do you think its worth it? Anyone else considering it?

Consensus is 'no'.
Reply 56
Hi guys,

Just joined literally for this thread because I'm having some difficulty with 6th year choices... :s-smilie:

I'm doing Higher Maths, English (the horror), Physics, Accounting, and Bus Man this year, and want to take AH Maths, H Psychology and 1 other Higher - maybe PE or RMPS.

No idea if they'll let me choose just 3 but I'm hoping to put an argument forward that I'm gonna use most of those free periods to self-study the material for AH Business (I'd have to self study anyway, and I can't be arsed doing the project) and Higher Economics (school don't offer it) as academic interests only, cos I'm sad and nerdy.

Want to do Accounting or Business or Economics at Uni. (Edinburgh ftw)

Do the Uni's truly prefer you to have a broad range of Highers, rather than a small group of AHs? Can someone confirm this?

Cheers,
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Arianto
Hi guys,

Just joined literally for this thread because I'm having some difficulty with 6th year choices... :s-smilie:

I'm doing Higher Maths, English (the horror), Physics, Accounting, and Bus Man this year, and want to take AH Maths, H Psychology and 1 other Higher - maybe PE or RMPS.

No idea if they'll let me choose just 3 but I'm hoping to put an argument forward that I'm gonna use most of those free periods to self-study the material for AH Business (I'd have to self study anyway, and I can't be arsed doing the project) and Higher Economics (school don't offer it) as academic interests only, cos I'm sad and nerdy.

Do the Uni's truly prefer you to have a broad range of Highers, rather than a small group of AHs? Can someone confirm this?

Cheers,

I don't think it makes much difference, really. AH's aren't necessary providing that you get good grades this year (but of course you can still do them if you please! :smile:). However, if it came down to it I think I'd rather be given a conditional based on Highers than Advanced Highers. Last year I did a pretty broad range of Highers (Maths, English, French, Biology and History) and it didn't do me any harm (heck, I only did Higher Geography for a few months before applying for it!). Honestly, if you work hard this year and get good grades it won't be a big deal.
Original post by Arianto
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Yeah, as mentioned if you get good grades in 5th year it won't matter much what subjects you do in 6th year.

I applied for business and accounts at Edinburgh... I never went though :tongue:
Good set of subjects you've got there. You remind me of me :awesome:
Reply 59
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah, as mentioned if you get good grades in 5th year it won't matter much what subjects you do in 6th year.

I applied for business and accounts at Edinburgh... I never went though :tongue:
Good set of subjects you've got there. You remind me of me :awesome:

You mean you didn't get an offer or you declined the offer?

Is it rude to ask what grades you got?:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending