The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most Overated: Oxbridge
Reply 2
Most overrated: King's college

Most Underrated: UEA (not that i'm biased or anything :P)

This is just judging on how I've seen them though and not on reputation.

WOW. Obviously have angered alot of people on this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think a lot of the ex-polys are underrated - people dismiss them too readily in a lot of cases.
Reply 4
Original post by tillytots
Most overrated: King's college

Most Underrated: UEA (not that i'm biased or anything :P)

This is just judging on how I've seen them though and not on reputation.

just noticed your offers in your sig - 120 pts at MMU??? That's their standard offer for their Foundation Year, none of their courses are lower than 260pts from A2's this year??????
I reckon Edinburgh is definately overrated.

And I agree that many of the ex-polys are underrated. And I think my own uni (Lancaster) is too. Although that is starting to change.
Reply 6
Original post by wdywuk
just noticed your offers in your sig - 120 pts at MMU??? That's their standard offer for their Foundation Year, none of their courses are lower than 260pts from A2's this year??????

My course is 240 points, but I already have an A Level, which is worth 120 so they deducted the points from the and I need to get 120 from my remaining two a levels :smile:
Hull, under-rated, anyone?
Reply 8
Lancaster underrated
Warwick overrated
Reply 9
Original post by wactm

Just wait until imsoacademic reads that. You're in for one hell of an argument.
Reply 10
Original post by tillytots
My course is 240 points, but I already have an A Level, which is worth 120 so they deducted the points from the and I need to get 120 from my remaining two a levels :smile:

So your Manchester offer should just show BB?.

You must have had your application in early (before the directorate insisted on raising all entry requirements) as there are no courses at MMU with as low an entry tarif as 240pts from A2's (forget about what it says it the prospectus or on the website) or the admin people dropped a clanger!
man why does it matter, just get a good degree, then **** off somewhere. People place too much emphasis on the uni that they want to attend.

Not everyones going to go to Oxford, Cambridge, Kings college, university rankings are irrelevant for anything outside of the top 20. If you get a good degree, thats a 2.1 who really gives a crap? not everyones going to end up in a job that pays 40k+ a year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wdywuk
So your Manchester offer should just show BB?.

You must have had your application in early (before the directorate insisted on raising all entry requirements) as there are no courses at MMU with as low an entry tarif as 240pts from A2's (forget about what it says it the prospectus or on the website) or the admin people dropped a clanger!

Yeah I sent it off end of october so maybe thats why?:smile:

Yes my manc offer should, I phoned them up to double check and they said it's fine they just put that on as standard sort of thing. But they know I've already acheived the grade :smile:
Original post by wactm

im so academic
x

Let's see where this goes. :colonhash:
Overrated: Durham, Warwick
Underrated: Royal Holloway, Leicester

Edit: :teehee: Looks like I upset a few Oxbridge rejects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Overrated- UCL

Underrated - King's College London
Based on nothing more than personal conjecture and hearsay, here's my take on it. Of course it's quite likely I'm wrong, and as such, feel free to disregard or sneer at the post below.

Overrated: Edinburgh, Durham, UCL, Oxford/Cambridge*

Underrated: UEA, Surrey, Sussex, BPP College

*(Of course I don't dispute that these two institutions are excellent at both UG and PG for a variety of subjects, and are bastions of excellent research/education. When I say they're overrated, I'm referring to the people who think that their life depends on getting into Oxford or Cambridge, and that all other unis are worthless by comparison. You know who you are :rolleyes: ).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ChaoticSkills
man why does it matter, just get a good degree, then **** off somewhere. People place too much emphasis on the uni that they want to attend.

Not everyones going to go to Oxford, Cambridge, Kings college, university rankings are irrelevant for anything outside of the top 20. If you get a good degree, thats a 2.1 who really gives a crap? not everyones going to end up in a job that pays 40k+ a year.

totally agree
Reply 18
Original post by Teao the Cat
I reckon Edinburgh is definately overrated.

And I agree that many of the ex-polys are underrated. And I think my own uni (Lancaster) is too. Although that is starting to change.

I have friends who go to Lancaster and majority of them have a complete different view to that.
Reply 19
Original post by wactm

I go to Oxford, I don't think it's overrated but I do believe people have a lot of misconceptions.

Latest