The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tight shoes are best I find.
Reply 2
Multiplexed
Learners... do you wear specific shoes for driving or any old trainers? I wear Air force ones usually with a massive thick soles, might explain the erratic clutch handling. I dunno.... :frown:
When I was learning, I used to have special shoes too; they were very flat soled trainers which fitted around my feet perfectly (they have to be comfortable); and hence aided pedal control..
I find using boots to drive quite hard..
Reply 3
I just wear trainers.
Reply 4
I drive in whatever i'm wearing at the time - even driven in walking boots! Trainers are best for clutch control etc though!

Don't drive in slippers - someone did this near where i live, and shot through the front of a shop window!!
Reply 5
Ideally you want some of these

Reply 6
I am tempted to buy some proper shoes off DemonTweeks.

But until then, I use Converse All Stars, they're really flexible, which helps alot
My sister used to have special driving shoes - a pair of old granny style court shoes (mini stiletto type chunky heel). She looked a right state...specially rolling up for her test in a tracksuit and the granny shoes :biggrin:
Reply 8
I learnt to drive in no shoes, it was more of a high heels after work lessons thing so I wasnt going to get my heel stuck under the pedals. Now, I can actually drive with shoes on, but prefer not to. I find I have "better contact" with the pedals, i guess you could lliken it to having sex with a condom on. kinda.
Reply 9
I started learning in some DC skate shoes; they were just what I was wearing at the time. One day I wore some less bulky trainers and found it so much easier, so have stuck with those.
Some are better than others, but consistancy is probably more the key; it'd be like learning to drive in a Panda (I am) and taking my test in an Audi or something - it's a better car, but I wouldn't be used to it, so would fail.
I'd say find something that works, isn't completely useless and stick with it; even if it's not the best 'feel', you'll get used to it and it'll work better than switching all the time trying to find some that 'work'.
Reply 10
when i first started driving i always had the same shoes (pair of vans skate shoes) just cause i wanted to make sure that i could handle the pedals. but now when i'm used to driving it doesn't matter that much.
Reply 11
learning to drive in a Panda

The new one or the old one?
Reply 12
Brand new.

Ugly as hell, but very simple and therefore easy to drive.
Reply 13
Don't drive in trainers with thick soles, worse possible shoes ever! The best shoes are flat trainers like addidas but I drive in anything. I'm so used to it, boots, converse, heels, flip flops...etc.
Reply 14
I recommend Converse :biggrin: i used to wear my diesel trainers but switched to Cons, now its so much easier to control the clutch!
Reply 15
OMGWTF
I am tempted to buy some proper shoes off DemonTweeks.

But until then, I use Converse All Stars, they're really flexible, which helps alot
arent' Deamon really overpriced, I find they can be for parts?

I don't find perticular footwear bothering me, as long as it stays on my foot I'm fine :smile:
Reply 16
I wear little ballet pumps so I can feel the pedals- accidentally drove in my ugg boots- wasnt a good idea- I went kangarooing up the road! xx
Reply 17
Yea wear ballet pumps so u can feel the clutch!
Reply 18
I find they can be for parts?

I suppose, but there more for racing parts. If its tuning parts your after, specific brand/model shops/companies are probably better
Reply 19
Trainers or slouch boots.

Know what you mean - I can be a bit heavy on the clutch if I've got my Nike air maxs on lol.

PS. Am not a learner but answered it anyway. I had lessons in trainers mainly.

Latest