The Student Room Group

IB Boarding school...

Hey,

I am currently in year 11 and I am applying to go to IB Boarding schools in the UK.

Malvern College
Oakham School
ACS Cobham
Ardingly College

...are the schools I'm applying to.

Does anyone go/gone to any of them? Have any advice or recommendations? Or another IB boarding school to suggest.

Thanks (:
Ivy :smile:
Reply 1
Sevenoaks School in Kent is considered one of the best IB schools in the UK. I think its average score has been around 39 for the past few years. It was also one of the first schools to adopt the IB so it is pretty familiar with it.
Original post by IvyEchelon
Hey,

I am currently in year 11 and I am applying to go to IB Boarding schools in the UK.

Malvern College
Oakham School
ACS Cobham
Ardingly College

...are the schools I'm applying to.

Does anyone go/gone to any of them? Have any advice or recommendations? Or another IB boarding school to suggest.

Thanks (:
Ivy :smile:

Yeah sevenoaks is meant to be perfect if you want a really great score. However I would suggest that you check out United World Colleges - to see if it's your thing.
Reply 3
Two friends of mine came from Malvern, they said it wasn't a great atmosphere but it's probably OK. They seem to get quite good results.
I have one friend at Oakham, haven't talked to him in a while but I hear quite nice things about it, not sure how they compare resultswise though.
Ardingly I've heard is quite posh, but that's all I know about it.

And yeah, Sevenoaks has to have a mention. You'll get all the help you could ask for in terms of good teaching and being surrounded by other bright people. It's pretty difficult to get in for the sixth form though, it's practically like applying for university - exams, interviews, the works.

Good luck, wherever you go.
Reply 4
Hi!

I went to Malvern recently for a debating competition, and it looks like a nice school. I can't say anything about the atmosphere or grades there, but it certainly looks good.

United World Colleges, as mentioned above, are amazing. Unfortunately the applications are closed now (nervously waiting interview results ...) but you can apply in your first year of sixth form as well. ^.^
Reply 5
I'm currently in the Lower Sixth at Sevenoaks and I've been there since Year 7 in junior school!

The campus is brilliant.

The students are all friendly to each other in the sixth form and there's a fair amount of interaction between year groups.

The teachers are incredibly intelligent and really do help you in whatever you need. Most of them have a great sense of humor as well!

Everyone is given an email which they can use to help send work between home and school, contacting teachers and arranging extracurricular activities.

Lots of drama and music going on throughout every term.

Very successful in some sports (Shooting, Sailing, Girls Hockey, Girls football)

It is very expensive but being around clever people every day with the vast amount of opportunities available makes it worth it in my opinion. Although, if you're boarding, I bet you're loaded anyway :tongue:

If you can, try and arrange a tour round the school. You never know, I might be the one giving it!
Reply 6
Original post by Sailorlor

Original post by Sailorlor
I'm currently in the Lower Sixth at Sevenoaks and I've been there since Year 7 in junior school!

The campus is brilliant.

The students are all friendly to each other in the sixth form and there's a fair amount of interaction between year groups.

The teachers are incredibly intelligent and really do help you in whatever you need. Most of them have a great sense of humor as well!

Everyone is given an email which they can use to help send work between home and school, contacting teachers and arranging extracurricular activities.

Lots of drama and music going on throughout every term.

Very successful in some sports (Shooting, Sailing, Girls Hockey, Girls football)

It is very expensive but being around clever people every day with the vast amount of opportunities available makes it worth it in my opinion. Although, if you're boarding, I bet you're loaded anyway :tongue:

If you can, try and arrange a tour round the school. You never know, I might be the one giving it!

sounds brilliant - heard you guys go to school on saturdays too though... :/
Reply 7
Hey,

Well, I've got an interview/test at Ardingly next month and Malvern also.

Sevenoaks was full and so was Oakham.

Thanks for all you help and suggestoins

Ivy xx
Reply 8
One of my best friends went to Ardingly, I think he really liked it, but they do tend to keep to themselves, being in the middle of nowhere helps, lovely campus. Can't beat a Woodard school, in my humble opinion :smile:.
Cobham, isn't that great scoring, prestigious and costs the most.
Out of the list, Oakham is the most prestigious. I know very little of Malvern.
Reply 9
I wouldn't go to Cobham... Taunton school is upcoming and really strong though, i'd check it out - it does A level and IB, both strongly with good extra curriculars etc, and organises volunteering for CAS...
(edited 12 years ago)
I've recently been accepted into Ardingly and I'm going to be going for Sixth Form :smile:

3 people in my year including me applied for Sevenoaks and none of use got in - it was really difficult.
And yeah, its like the best IB school in the country.

In my oppinion getting into Ardingly wasn't too hard but I guess I was comparing it to Sevenoaks which was killer D:
Reply 11
Congratulations with your acceptance to Ardingly and commiserations with not getting into Sevenoaks =[
actually, i would advize to go to ACS Chobham, it has a very good reputation and you will b sure to get an xcellent educationt there. I may go there next year, but i hav experience with the ACS schools and they definitely give you the worth for your money. It is also a nice small size, so you will have enough attention espcially bording, as educationally its hard to move in the middle of the IB.

Good luck!
Reply 13
Hey,

Thanks for your continuing advice and suggestions.

Flying home this Friday for my Ardingly interview. I really, really want to go there. I think it'll be amazing. And love the fact its Woodard :biggrin:

Will let you know how it goes!

Malvern wait listed me :/ So jsut going to do tests at the British Council.

Have an interview at Cobham, but meh. I dont really think it's my sort of place. Each to there own.

Recently looked at St Bede's...its A-level, but anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for all your wishes! Will tell you how it goes :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 14
Don't go to St Bede's, it's a little grotty.
Reply 15
Well guys, I got into Ardingly. Very excited.

Cobham seemed a nice school, but i dont think it was for me.

So exctied to starting Ardingly in September (:

thanks for all your comments and advice

:biggrin: x
Reply 16
my old chemistry teacher is at ardingly! Mr crook is his name, he is AMAZING
Reply 17
I go to Box Hill School sixth form... It's amazing and out of about 210 IB schools in the UK, it comes in at 32nd place (out of boarding and non boarding schools)... It's such a great school in a great area... Check it out!
going to Ardingly, boarding in september too! can't wait!!
Reply 19
Hi. Those of you who started Ardingly, how are you liking it? Are the biology and chemistry IB teachers good and helpful. I want to do them at higher level.

Quick Reply

Latest