The Student Room Group

5 offers..may do UCAS extra?

(sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure!)
Hey, any advice would be awesome.

Basically I have 5 offers for history (v100) but lately I'm almost got cold feet over it. I'm not sure if I could take doing 3 years of history - even though I enjoy it as a hobby and general knowledge- I'm not sure I can spend 3 years in librarys reading and writing huge essays over it, like the fun taken out of it (as I am finding out at history A2).

So I may do UCAS extra for Business Studies (or management studies as some unis call it, I assume they're mostly the same?) and basically the questions I am wondering are:

Is business still a good degree to have? (assuming I aim to get 1 2.1/1st)
Is it very work intensive? (I am prepared to work, I'm just curious on the number of hours etc they have to do)
What would the chances of me getting an offer by this late stage be? If I say apply to Leicester

I find business quite interesting, but do I need to it at A level? I look at some business A level work and aside from terminology and can have a good go at it and find it reasonably interesting.

Thanks for reading, some advice would be awesome. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends where and grades u hav or predicted ??
Reply 2
You don't need a business A-Level. Leicester is a good uni so its a tough one in terms of getting an offer.
I thought you could only do ucas extra if you didn't get an offer? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
leicester will have spaces as long as your predicted grades match up...otherwise massive risk
I thought UCAS extra was only if you had all 5 rejections? It may be easier just to contact the university and ask to change course.
Reply 6
Original post by chasing_dreams
I thought you could only do ucas extra if you didn't get an offer? :s-smilie:

you can decline offers too
Reply 7
Original post by jameswhughes
I thought UCAS extra was only if you had all 5 rejections? It may be easier just to contact the university and ask to change course.

he may not have applied to lesta originally...thus not possible to switch an so is in extra?
Reply 8
You're thinking of turning down history offers for business/management studies? Jeez! :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Predicted: ABB

I can reject offers as others have said, and the unis I currently have offers from are:

Leicester(AAB), Lancaster(AAB), UEA(ABB), Oxford Brookes(BBB), Kent(340 points)

But yeah, not going to lie, I'm worried about the risk too. :/ It's so hard..
Reply 10
Original post by Piecewise
You're thinking of turning down history offers for business/management studies? Jeez! :rolleyes:

Yeah, XD Bad huh? :/ I don't know, I just don't think I could do it. I don't see the point going into a degree and then finding out I don't work 'cus I don't enjoy it and get a bad degree.
Reply 11
Original post by Liam93

I can reject offers as others have said, and the unis I currently have offers from are:

okay if you want me to be honest, I think you should stick with history...even if you want to go into business...I suggest Lancaster as a firm...its really a rising star in uni terms and leicester always be at least good ....also you will find there will be similar hours (marginally less for business but not worth worrying about :smile: if your unsure go onto the module list and check out the study hours and you will find it calming)
Reply 12
Original post by lionboy
okay if you want me to be honest, I think you should stick with history...even if you want to go into business...I suggest Lancaster as a firm...its really a rising star in uni terms and leicester always be at least good ....also you will find there will be similar hours (marginally less for business but not worth worrying about :smile: if your unsure go onto the module list and check out the study hours and you will find it calming)

Honest is good, much appreciated. I cannot find these study hours you speak of, but I'm still worried I wont have the self motivation to go to a library every day and read and note take. I'm not lazy but I'm not that kind of guy..if you get me? Perhaps if I see these hours it may 'calm' me.

Thank you for the replies so far. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Liam93
Honest is good, much appreciated. I cannot find these study hours you speak of, but I'm still worried I wont have the self motivation to go to a library every day and read and note take. I'm not lazy but I'm not that kind of guy..if you get me? Perhaps if I see these hours it may 'calm' me.

Thank you for the replies so far. :smile:[/QUO

look at course info it will give you the amount of tutorials and lectures ect you will receive or be taught by....as a rough guide if the hours of lectures and tutorials are similar then so will the personal study time....motivation is a hard one to grasp...think of the many students who are just as capable as you and go to uni...miss lectures and still come out with 2:1's ect...finally if your motivation hasnt kicked in the first year it will without doubt on the second year
p.s if you get onto a history course its highly likely that if you dislike your first few weeks they will let you change(assuming history has generally high entrance requirements) phew
Original post by Liam93
(sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure!)
Hey, any advice would be awesome.

Basically I have 5 offers for history (v100) but lately I'm almost got cold feet over it. I'm not sure if I could take doing 3 years of history - even though I enjoy it as a hobby and general knowledge- I'm not sure I can spend 3 years in librarys reading and writing huge essays over it, like the fun taken out of it (as I am finding out at history A2).

So I may do UCAS extra for Business Studies (or management studies as some unis call it, I assume they're mostly the same?) and basically the questions I am wondering are:

Is business still a good degree to have? (assuming I aim to get 1 2.1/1st)
Is it very work intensive? (I am prepared to work, I'm just curious on the number of hours etc they have to do)
What would the chances of me getting an offer by this late stage be? If I say apply to Leicester

I find business quite interesting, but do I need to it at A level? I look at some business A level work and aside from terminology and can have a good go at it and find it reasonably interesting.

Thanks for reading, some advice would be awesome. :smile:

If you've got in anywhere good that you'd like to go to i wouldn't reject it!! you can say you've changed your mind about the course a few weeks in and they'll probably let you swap.
Original post by Liam93

You should do History at UEA! It's amazing! You do not need to go to the library every day or week or whatever, you just go when you have an essay due in. In your first year I will admit there are quite a few essays (6 in both your first and second semester and then 1 essay with 2 exams in the summer), but you can mostly choose what you write about and if you don't like the topics you can choose a different one, although you doing have to ask your seminar tutor first.

I don't spend longer than a few days doing research and writing my essays and my marks vary between 73 to 62, so you don't have to really do much work to come out with a good grade in your first year and then in your second and third years you're completely free to choose your own modules, so you'll defnintely be studying stuff you're interested in.

I'm assuming this is what History is like at other places as well, but I don't know.

If you really want to change do it, but it doesn't seem that your heart is in business tbh. You didn't exactly put your excitement for it across enthusiastically in your post!
Reply 16
Original post by moomin_love
You should do History at UEA! It's amazing! You do not need to go to the library every day or week or whatever, you just go when you have an essay due in. In your first year I will admit there are quite a few essays (6 in both your first and second semester and then 1 essay with 2 exams in the summer), but you can mostly choose what you write about and if you don't like the topics you can choose a different one, although you doing have to ask your seminar tutor first.

I don't spend longer than a few days doing research and writing my essays and my marks vary between 73 to 62, so you don't have to really do much work to come out with a good grade in your first year and then in your second and third years you're completely free to choose your own modules, so you'll defnintely be studying stuff you're interested in.

I'm assuming this is what History is like at other places as well, but I don't know.

If you really want to change do it, but it doesn't seem that your heart is in business tbh. You didn't exactly put your excitement for it across enthusiastically in your post!

dislike because of your massive bias ...most degrees will have a fairly flexible module list too...you actually sound as if you just copied the UEA history prospectus...
Original post by Liam93

Original post by Liam93

See Changing your Mind first.
If you're happy with your university choices, you can ask each of them to reconsider you for a business related course providing you meet the requirements. Doing this does not interfere with your actual offers, the history ones will still stand until/if you decide to reject them to go through extra.
Reply 18
Original post by Liam93
Yeah, XD Bad huh? :/ I don't know, I just don't think I could do it. I don't see the point going into a degree and then finding out I don't work 'cus I don't enjoy it and get a bad degree.
Don't let a dull A2 module put you off from history. A subjects have the dull module that one might not enjoy, despite liking the subject overall. I'll bet many people studying Maths at university more or less hated the applied modules of the A-level maths, perhaps more so than, say, someone applying for physics or engineering. That doesn't mean they won't enjoy it at university and proceed to get a bad degree. Your profile was obviously strong enough to have managed five offers; admission tutors hardly ever admit someone whom they reckon might not pull through it. In any case, don't do something daft, like withdrawing, just yet! :tongue:
History at degree level will be far more diverse (and interesting) than A Level. Plus if you may be able to switch to business after giving it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending