The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ultimate Southampton University Accommodation Thread 2011

Because there have been so many threads with pretty much the same questions and I can't be bothered to answer them all (and at this moment in time, I have nothing better to do, since this is actually quite long, I've decided to post it but continue editing. :biggrin:).

Basics

All first year students that apply before the deadline are guaranteed accommodation. They may not, however, get their first (or any) choice. Also, they may be twinned up to 6 weeks into the semester (in which the contract is halved for the duration of the twinning). The University guarantees de-twinning by the end of the first 6 weeks. (Many people get de-twinned fairly early on - or even before the contract starts!) All residents of halls get a free bus-pass that can be used on the Uni-link buses. All rooms are provided with free internet/data connections (and the internet is quite fast!) and phones. All international students are guaranteed accommodation for the duration of their degree, again, if they apply before the deadline.
Also, when you apply, you apply for a Complex that fits your combination (room-type, self/catered, contract-length etc.) and so you may not necessarily get the exact hall you want.

Contract Lengths
Standard: From September/July, best for undergrads, don't have to move out until July.
Short: Have to move out in Easter (and then back in after Easter).
Long: For Research Postgrads that stay in all year-long. :smile:
Unless specified, assume Standard Contract for undergrads.

Room Types:
Ensuite - your very own bathroom. (that you must clean).
Standard - room, shared bathroom.
Standard w/washbasin - room, with a washbasin (or shared between 2 rooms), and a shared bathroom.
Enhanced - slightly bigger.
Premium - quite big.
Studio flats - a flat (for postgrads/mature students only).

I've listed all non-ensuite rooms as standard as there are a limited number of premium and enhanced rooms and I do not know which blocks they are in.

The Hall Complexes:

Wessex Lane:

Wessex Lane is a 7-10 minute bus-ride to the main Highfield Campus and approximately 25 minutes away from the city centre. The Montes have a 200-machine (I think), laundromat, the main Reception, a JCR, and a bar [The Boiler Room]. Connaught has a 4 machine (2 washing machines, 2 dryers) laundromat, the dining hall [The Galley], the Connaught Bar, a JCR, a library with computers and a Gym.

Montefiore 1 + 2

These are the self-catered, standard room halls. They are corridor-based, so a lot of people (I am unsure of numbers here) share kitchens/bathrooms. (Although I'm told that there are fewer sharing in Monte 2).

Monte 3 + 4

Please note that as of next year, 61 rooms of Monte 3 will become part-catered.

They are (for the most part), self-catered, ensuite rooms. They are flat-based, so around 6-8 people per kitchen.

Connaught:

Flat-based and corridor based. Part-catered (breakfast and lunch or dinner), shared bathrooms. Some blocks have tiny kitchens. Can be from 4 people to bathroom/kitchen to 17. Small hall, very friendly (280 people).

Glen Eyre Halls:

This is the largest hall complex. It is approximately a 10/15 minute walk away from the main Highfield Campus. Only 2 buses stop by here - the U2s; these stop by both Avenue and Highfield Campuses. It can be said to be split into 3 parts; Beechmount House, the main Glen and Hartley Grove (which houses Hartley and South Hill). Glen has fitness rooms (gyms, I assume), a JCR, a bar and launderettes. It does not, however, have a catering facility any longer. As a result, all rooms in Glen Eyre are self-catered.

Since I'm not at Glen Eyre, this is a lot more brief than the Wessex was. I can't tell you how many people per bathroom/kitchen, although, from the few rooms I have seen (all ensuite), it can be 4/5- 7/8 to a kitchen, the kitchen's, though, are massive.
If you have more information, feel free to tell me so I'll add it in. :h:

Beechmount House:

It is suitable for postgrads and mature students. It has standard rooms and is not part of the bigger Glen Eyre 'area' (as in it's slightly further off/separate).

Brunei House:

Standard rooms. Part of the 'greater' part of Glen Eyre. (Although slightly more towards the back).

Chamberlain:

No longer exists. (well, it does, but for the purpose of accommodation 2011, it does not).

Chancellor's Courts:

Very nice, on the Glen Eyre side. It has both ensuite and standard rooms.

Hartley Grove:

On the Hartley Grove side (obviously), ensuite and standard. Requires electricity top-up cards. (this does not necessarily add up to a lot).

J-Block:

Standard, on the main side.

Main building:

Standard.

New Terrace:

Ensuite. Requires electricity top-up cards. (this does not necessarily add up to a lot).

Old Terrace:

Standard.

Richard Newitt Courts:

Standard. 4 to a kitchen.

South Hill:

Ensuite, Hartley Grove side.

The Gower Building:

[I actually had no idea about this!]

Mature students/postgrads. Studio flats. Requires electricity top-up cards. (this does not necessarily add up to a lot).
Flats situated above the banks of the Gower building, on the main Highfield campus.

Small Halls:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

awesome...*subscribes*
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
But 1 year applying postgrads are not guaranteed and accomodation isn't it?

Still if we are not offered a student room from Soton u, private sector is good ?
It will be more difficult than usual for applying post-grads to get guaranteed accomodation with the absence of Chamberlain Halls for next year. Not sure on the exact number, but it removes about 150-200 rooms that would normally be available.

All undergraduates are guaranteed accomodation, however - even if it means being twinned for the first few weeks while they work out who hasn't turned up.
I'm in my first year right now and I ended up at Orion's Point, like many of us who put down three en-suite choices but didn't get in. It's cheaper than a lot of the en-suite halls even though you have to get your own bus pass (if you get it straight away it adds up to about £6 a week for an academic year pass).

The flats are shared between 4 or 5 and there are 2 blocks.

The bus stop for the U6 (bad timing for mornings unless you like being really early or wanna risk being late) is outside
The stops for the U1 and U2 are 5 minutes walk away. The bus takes between 15 and 40 minutes, depending which one you get and what time of the day it is (Do not recommend U6 at Rush hour!!)

5 minutes walk from Bedford place
10-20 minutes walk from Portswood
Opposite Kaos (even though that's mainly full of Solent students)
10 minutes walk to Asda and West Quay

But the area's not that nice, bit dodgy, which is understandable being so close to the city, so you have to be careful!
Oh and you don't get cleaners at all, you have to clean your kitchen yourself. And trust me, if you're not careful a kitchen CAN get disgusting between 5 people!

Oh and if you really love it here... somehow.... you can get first dibs on rebooking for your second year!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PixiePlumber
I'm in my first year right now and I ended up at Orion's Point, like many of us who put down three en-suite choices but didn't get in. It's cheaper than a lot of the en-suite halls even though you have to get your own bus pass (if you get it straight away it adds up to about £6 a week for an academic year pass).

The flats are shared between 4 or 5 and there are 2 blocks.

The bus stop for the U6 (bad timing for mornings unless you like being really early or wanna risk being late) is outside
The stops for the U1 and U2 are 5 minutes walk away. The bus takes between 15 and 40 minutes, depending which one you get and what time of the day it is (Do not recommend U6 at Rush hour!!)

5 minutes walk from Bedford place
10-20 minutes walk from Portswood
Opposite Kaos (even though that's mainly full of Solent students)
10 minutes walk to Asda and West Quay

But the area's not that nice, bit dodgy, which is understandable being so close to the city, so you have to be careful!
Oh and you don't get cleaners at all, you have to clean your kitchen yourself. And trust me, if you're not careful a kitchen CAN get disgusting between 5 people!

Oh and if you really love it here... somehow.... you can get first dibs on rebooking for your second year!

they're giving them free bus passes next year - and they're buying up an entire block (or something of the sort) to make up for the loss of Chamberlain. :smile:
Original post by unamed
they're giving them free bus passes next year - and they're buying up an entire block (or something of the sort) to make up for the loss of Chamberlain. :smile:

Oh fudgebuckets. I know they just subcontract 6 floors of one block but I guess they've bagsied the entire B block now. No fair :frown:
Reply 7
what facilities do the gyms in halls have? probably no where near as good as the one on campus right?
Incredibly basic, comparatively.

Also, if any of you lovely people do end up in Glen Eyre next year, I'll be one of your Head Fresher Representatives. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
I've just firmed my offer from Southampton :smile: Hoping to either get into glen eyre or wessex lane halls :smile:!
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an offer for accomidation?
Reply 10
Original post by ebonymaypryce
I've just firmed my offer from Southampton :smile: Hoping to either get into glen eyre or wessex lane halls :smile:!
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an offer for accomidation?

You can receive an offer upto 3 weeks after result's day (or when they confirm your enrolment into the university). It's a long and painful wait.
Original post by unamed

Original post by unamed
You can receive an offer upto 3 weeks after result's day (or when they confirm your enrolment into the university). It's a long and painful wait.

Thanks for the info! Oh god :frown: thats not gunna be fun!
Are the only catered options in Wessex lane and the small halls now?

(Accomodation is confusing me so very much :frown: )
Reply 13
I have applied for Enhanced in both Wessex and Glen Eyre

Then standard w/washbasin in both again

didn't put in a 5th
Reply 14
Do you actually choose which halls you want to be in? Ive just applied but didnt choose 3 halls.... im quite confused, every1 went that page where it said over 28 days stay right?
Reply 15
Original post by Averagegirl:)
Are the only catered options in Wessex lane and the small halls now?

(Accomodation is confusing me so very much :frown: )

Yep. :smile:

jimimick
Do you actually choose which halls you want to be in? Ive just applied but didnt choose 3 halls.... im quite confused, every1 went that page where it said over 28 days stay right?

You can choose the complex, they type of room and catered/uncatered. But you can't choose, for example, monte 3 over monte 4.
And that bolded part confuses me.
(edited 13 years ago)
In the application process I applied for 'standard room'. I think the other option was 'standard room without washbasin'.... Because i'd like one. Is 'standard room' one with a washbasin?
Reply 17
Hey guys! Has anyone received an offer or rejection for accomodation yet? I am really confused now because I've just received a rejection in my accomodation application....I thought they would place the students in mid June-July!

ps: I am a postgraduate and hopefully I will start in September 2011..
Reply 18
Original post by agelosLX
Hey guys! Has anyone received an offer or rejection for accomodation yet? I am really confused now because I've just received a rejection in my accomodation application....I thought they would place the students in mid June-July!

ps: I am a postgraduate and hopefully I will start in September 2011..

hmmm, no. My status is "submitted". Why did you get rejected? Do you have a conditional or an unconditional offer?
Reply 19
No idea why I got rejected..I'm gonna call them tommorow and see if I can find out. Tbh I was shocked when I read their e-mail. I have a conditional offer for the MSc International Banking and Financial Studies.

Funny thing is that my status is "submitted" as well.. I must have done sth wrong with my application. Maybe cause I wrote down only 3 preferences and they were all ensuite rooms....
I read somewhere in their website that you need to submit different types of rooms, not just self-catered/ensuite....no idea.
It's too harsh I think to reject me if you take into account that I am a postgraduate!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending